Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American Sports?...

Which is best?...

• Total voters

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Baseball, by a mile. It's an intelligent, subtle and intricate sport, and, like cricket, with a long and rich cultural heritage too. I could watch it for hours and fully intend to when I can.

American football really does very little for me I'm afraid: I can watch a game but I find it pretty underwhelming. Quite like to check out a live game though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyone in the know, which is the most successful city/state/area in America, Top 4 sports-wise?

Is it New York? I would've thought so.
My guess is Boston. The Celtics in the 70s and 80s, the Pats have always been a decent side and The Red Sox had a bad 90s but still a big club with tradition.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My guess is Boston. The Celtics in the 70s and 80s, the Pats have always been a decent side and The Red Sox had a bad 90s but still a big club with tradition.

Really not New York? The Yankees, The Knicks, The Mets?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Bad 90s? they didn't win a World Series for 86 years!. Make that a bad 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s too

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
For me, it's the NFL by a country mile. Never mind comparing it to other American sports, I prefer it to the Premiership any day.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Interesting question.

Might be even more interesting if it was ranked per capita

I may be biased, ahem...but Boston would get my vote: population just over 600,000 but with an NHL side the Bruins, NBA's Celtics and of course the Red Sox at Fenway, not to mention the Patriots in Foxboro a few miles away too.

And it's not just about how successful or otherwise the Red Sox have been, it's about Fenway really: it's a icon of the game.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Love the NFL, next month should here the next Wembley game annonced, rumours are two from;

Jags, Redskins, Seahawks or Kansas

May even be two games they have been so succesfull. I love to catch a whole live game but very difficult to either make the time or stay up into the wee hours without screwing up the next day.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Basketball only for me - have been to NBA games in San Francisco and Seattle, which kind of blew away the Worthing Thunder experience.

BTW injuries apart Thunder have a good team this season and anyone wavering should definitely go take a look. It is a good family night out or a good teen hang out delete as appropriate.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And it's not just about how successful or otherwise the Red Sox have been, it's about Fenway really: it's a icon of the game.
Indeed. Plus the American league East is surely the strongest of the six divisions in MLB:

10 of the last 14 years it has produced the playoff wild card
And in the last 17 seasons, the AL East winner has won the world series EIGHT times, and been losing World series finalists a futher 3 times.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I voted Ice Hockey - even though it's a Canadian sport really. I support the Montreal Canadiens. I don't know why!

So do I. I think Wayne Gretsky started his career with them, which was when I got interested in it.

I tried playing "broom hockey" in Switzerland once, I ended up playing goalie against some good skaters. If you want to know what's worse than being a goalkeeper when a forward breaks clean through with the ball and is "one on one" with you, then try being a hockey goal-tender!

If you dive for the puck the stick could take your hand off for a start!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
American football for me and the hapless Washington Redskins a classic case of more money than sense if ever there was one. I also keep an eye on the Seattle Mariners and Portland Trailblazers, I have no interest in hockey.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
BTW injuries apart Thunder have a good team this season and anyone wavering should definitely go take a look. It is a good family night out or a good teen hang out delete as appropriate.

This is slightly off-topic but I don't understand why basketball doesn't try to attract kids to its games. As you say, Worthing is trying to get teenagers along but shouldn't they be trying to attract younger kids.

My daughter, for some reason, is really interested in seeing basketball but having checked out the start times I find that Thunder plays on Sunday evening. WTF? Maybe when she's 15 she can have a late night before school but not when she's 7.

Basketball is fighting against lot of bigger sports in this country so you'd think they'd try to be attracting young kids to hook them up before they get interested in other sports but seemingly no, it's a sport that's happy to take a back seat to the other sports - quite mad.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This is slightly off-topic but I don't understand why basketball doesn't try to attract kids to its games. As you say, Worthing is trying to get teenagers along but shouldn't they be trying to attract younger kids.

My daughter, for some reason, is really interested in seeing basketball but having checked out the start times I find that Thunder plays on Sunday evening. WTF? Maybe when she's 15 she can have a late night before school but not when she's 7.

Basketball is fighting against lot of bigger sports in this country so you'd think they'd try to be attracting young kids to hook them up before they get interested in other sports but seemingly no, it's a sport that's happy to take a back seat to the other sports - quite mad.

Just to clear up the confusion. Default tip off time is 19:00 on a Saturday. Some weekends they double up and there can be a Sunday game, but these would normally start at 17:00 Details here

http://www.worthing-thunder.org.uk/Worthing_Thunder_09_Fixtures.pdf

One word of warning the Thundercats make Gullys Girls look like syncopated maestros

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just to clear up the confusion. Default tip off time is 19:00 on a Saturday. Some weekends they double up and there can be a Sunday game, but these would normally start at 17:00 Details here

http://www.worthing-thunder.org.uk/Worthing_Thunder_09_Fixtures.pdf

One word of warning the Thundercats make Gullys Girls look like syncopated maestros

Oops...I misread it. But even so, I wouldn't want a 7 year-old getting home at 10.00 or 11.00 on a Saturday night and I don't think many parents would. Why don't they make it more child-friendly and start earlier? Or have it 3.00 on a Sunday? It's just poor thinking.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I loved the basketball game I saw in Washington, So that got my vote!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd give up watching sport if those were my only options.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here