Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American Express - have you got their card?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
When I used to work in IT for Amex in Brighton, I used to help out in the Centurion Card department which was housed in a separate building since the IT admin there was fairly clueless. It used to be funny to hear some of the stories of clients who would call in - clients would usually have particular customer service staff who they would solely deal with, and there would be all kinds of requests. Things like a celeb calling in asking the Amex staff to arrange tickets for them at a London theatre - it was almost like they had their own Personal Assistants at the end of the phone as a benefit for having the centurion card.

You have that in Platinum too, its called 'Concierge', very handy as it happens too

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Blimey, have you turned into [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION]?

I use credit cards for almost everything I buy - only the smallest of purchases will see me use cash.

When I earn loyalty points, cashback or miles when I use a card, I want to use it as much as possible. However I also clear the balance in full every month.

The only time I didn't know that was in the old high interest days, when I'd take out a high-limit 0% card, use it for everything and save the cash in a savings account until such time as interest was about to be due, at which point I'd pay the balance in full, pocketing the interest that had built up throughout the process.

Not at All Bozza. I think we're in agreement that as long as the balance is being cleared by the due-date each month then its not an issue. I've taken advantage of the 6-months interest free jobbies a couple of times as well, and shuffled balance transfers around to take advantage of the odd offer, but its always with a view to clearing it in full before they start lumping interest on.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Actually that cashback card looks great. BA build too many loopholes into how you can redeem the miles so I think I'll switch.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Err I use credit cards all the time provided interest free and stop keep mentioning me as that stupid pop up thingy happens

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
Just don't believe their hype about it being accepted all around the world. Its really odd when an American tells me how widely used their card is, as if its going to suddenly make me accept it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just don't believe their hype about it being accepted all around the world. Its really odd when an American tells me how widely used their card is, as if its going to suddenly make me accept it.

But it IS, I can't really remember the last time it got knocked back, even small family restaurants take it now (although do say they'd rather not, but whatever.)

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I used to have an American Express card, but I got rid of it last week after visiting the AmEx (stadium) and noticing that the logo on my card was upside down.

I'm not standing for that kind of substandard service.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Friends of mine use their Amex Card to collect airmiles, they pay for everything that they can on it, but pay it off at the end of the month so they are not charged.

They are using their airmiles to travel first class to Barbados on their next holiday.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I used to have an American Express card, but I got rid of it last week after visiting the AmEx (stadium) and noticing that the logo on my card was upside down.

I'm not standing for that kind of substandard service.
:thumbsup:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Nope.
I have a Barclaycard, but I only use it for holiday bookings (which are then paid off immediately), and in case of emergencies. If its not being cleared in full then credit cards are for mugs.

I've not used a credit card for 20 years. I use my debit card or cash for everything. I ran up a couple of thousand on my card at one point, when that was a lot of money to me, and someone pointed out how much it was actually costing me - I paid it off and never used one since.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Why would any right thinking individual bother with one, unless it was the invitation only Centurion card, in this day and age?

Total waste of time. It's barely accepted anywhere and costs more to use than your standard Visa or Mastercard.

It's just a sponsor, nothing exciting or unique about them. Forgive me if I don't get excited about an American financial services company

you can't be bitter as the amount of money they paid you vs the amount of work you actually did made you on a par with big Ken shirely?

I have a platinum, and no other free credit card gives better benefits as the 4% cashback card. FACT.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Had an Amex card for 20 years. Was starting to niggle me anyways that retailers abroad hated taking it, even if they showed it on the door, due to them not getting paid by Amex for up to a month as opposed to 2/3 days for a Visa/Mastercard. Then when the banks f***ed us up for the foreseeable at the tail end of 2008 the very last thing you needed was a card that needed paying back in full straight away - and which charged you for the privilege. So I cancelled it. Obviously.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
I don't have one but have been considering it as been stated the benefits are pretty good assuming you clear it every month...

As an aside I am fairly surprised more of a tie-up with the club hasn't been announced yet such as a BHA card, the idea of loyalty points etc. Thinking about it surely a key reason for the stadium being cashless is the Amex sponsorship and not just the cost incurred with counting money etc?

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Rumour has it that when we all get our smart cards to enter the stadium, every time our cards get swiped at the turnstiles we will hear a recorded message of "that'll do nicely sir/madam". Our turnstiles are so sophisticared they will even know what gender we are.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I don't have one but have been considering it as been stated the benefits are pretty good assuming you clear it every month...

As an aside I am fairly surprised more of a tie-up with the club hasn't been announced yet such as a BHA card, the idea of loyalty points etc. Thinking about it surely a key reason for the stadium being cashless is the Amex sponsorship and not just the cost incurred with counting money etc?

Actually, the idea of loyalty points associated with an Amex card is not a bad one at all, would be a very good business idea. More Brighton fans sign up, with maybe a small cut of what they spend going to BHAFC, and some loyalty points going to the fan.

Plus the binfest on here would be fantastic.

beardosh

Insert witty comment here
Dec 14, 2009
My main card of use is an Amex and has been since long before the Albion tie-up.

It's a Virgin Atlantic card and so earns me miles which come in very handy at holiday time.

And, unlike [MENTION=15906]Colossal Squid[/MENTION] says above, I'd say it is accepted at 80-90% of the places I use it, including the places where I spend most - Tesco for shopping and fuel (and all other supermarkets and garages), and Amazon online.

This. 120 000 air miles collected and I have found it very handy and very rarely refused. Just sent me through a new one last week and it's gone contactless as well.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was at Somerset House in London on saturday night to see Stornoway play. American Express sponsor the Summer Season concerts there. However, as we queued to get in it was announced to the waiting throng that it was a "Cash Free " venue and as such all the merchandising and bars could not take ANY plastic. We were all told to have enough cash for the evening before entering..... somewhat ironic.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I've had an American Express nectar credit card for about 6 years. Its free and I've had about £600 worth of nectar points back. Used it to buy my 1901 seat and parking at the Amex. Suprised no one else has mentioned having one. I have a mastercard as backup if its not accepted but its ok at about 90% of the places I try and use it at.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I had a charge card when I was working but gave it up when I retired in 2003, as I had no need for it. I was told by an employee of Amex that the drawback with their credit card is that interest is chanrged from the moment it is used ie if you buy £50 of petrol interest is accruing from the moment you leave the garage kiosk, is this true. She also said that the majority of employees do not have a card with them but with other card issuers.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Got one through work .... Don't love it. Doesn't really hold any sway for last min restaurant reservations etc nor does the black card these days.

Happy enough with hsbc premier account. Free decent travel insurance. Good for golf bookings. Own account manager and no queuing at branch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here