Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazingly dull techie question

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A little pop-up bubble keeps on, err, popping up on the bottom-right of my screen in the toolbar to tell me that I have EXCELLENT signal quality with my Netgear wireless router. Whilst this is welcome news and provides comfort and reassurance that my wireless connection is indeed in tip-top order, I don't particularly need to be reminded of this fact every 15 seconds.

When I click on this bubble, it brings up an Intel PROSet/Wireless menu with lots of options, but none that seem to switch this bubble off, and being a bit of a spack, I am fearful of dabbling with it in case I really do end up totally nousing up my connection. I just want this pop-up bubble to COCK OFF. Anyone know how I can achieve this ?

I'm running Windows XP.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I know, and its usually me.
Can't believe I didn't cover it in the first post to be honest, but I am rather tired.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
when the bubble pops up just click the little X in the corner, there maybe a registry setting to stop it but thats delving into areas you should not go!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've clicked the little x in the corner loads of times. It closes the bubble, but the little scamp just reappears again about 15 seconds later, announcing its arrival again with a cheery little "pop" noise.

Which, after about half an hours worth, leaves me wanting to beat my laptop to death with a rolling pin.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Have you tried pressing the TOOLS button at the top of your screen and stopping all pop-ups?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've clicked the little x in the corner loads of times. It closes the bubble, but the little scamp just reappears again about 15 seconds later, announcing its arrival again with a cheery little "pop" noise.

If you right-click on your mouse inside the popup bubble, it might offer you a few options, like 'never annoy me with this popup ever again'.

Else just wait til MYOB pops up in the evening with the correct solution :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have you tried pressing the TOOLS button at the top of your screen and stopping all pop-ups?

I've got 'block popup windows' activated under the option-content tab, but I think thats the external web popups its stopping,as opposed to the system ones.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you right-click on your mouse inside the popup bubble, it might offer you a few options, like 'never annoy me with this popup ever again'.

Else just wait til MYOB pops up in the evening with the correct solution :thumbsup:

Yup, tried right-clicking the bubble, it doesn't come up with anything straightforward to turn the bubbles off. Grrr.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
A little pop-up bubble keeps on, err, popping up on the bottom-right of my screen in the toolbar to tell me that I have EXCELLENT signal quality with my Netgear wireless router. Whilst this is welcome news and provides comfort and reassurance that my wireless connection is indeed in tip-top order, I don't particularly need to be reminded of this fact every 15 seconds.

When I click on this bubble, it brings up an Intel PROSet/Wireless menu with lots of options, but none that seem to switch this bubble off, and being a bit of a spack, I am fearful of dabbling with it in case I really do end up totally nousing up my connection. I just want this pop-up bubble to COCK OFF. Anyone know how I can achieve this ?

I'm running Windows XP.

It may be disconnecting and reconnecting very quickly, hence the constant notifications. Maybe. :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What if you DON'T close it when it pops up, and just leave it sat there in the background? It can't POP OPEN, when its already there...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What if you DON'T close it when it pops up, and just leave it sat there in the background? It can't POP OPEN, when its already there...

It disappears of its own accord - only to pop up again a few seconds later.

I'll have another sniff later when I'm at home. Its not LIFE threatening I suppose, just frigging annoying.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
The following will solve your problem:-

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
2. Navigate to the following subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
3. Right-click the right pane, create a new DWORD value, and then name it EnableBalloonTips.
4. Double-click this new entry, and then give it a hexadecimal value of 0.
5. Quit Registry Editor. Log off Windows, and then log back on.

It sounds a bit daunting but it is pretty straight forward. I haven't tried this though just found it using google but it makes sense

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here