Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am i the only one slightly sad to see Capello go?/ Next England manager?

Bhafc11

Nov 24, 2011
I was always behind Capello. We did well qualifying for the world cup. Yes we weren't brilliant in the world cup but neither were some other top teams. Also i don't think Capello can be entirely to blame and think he was a bit of a scapegoat. The players weren't great and the media is always putting down and putting pressure on the team. Done well qualifying for the Euro's and Capello was looking out other players than the normal first team. He did have a few faults as its mostly his way or no way, but a bit like Gus there?

For England manager Harry would be good but i believe his got a good thing going at Tottenham and he does play a lot of English players and got some good young English players coming through which may help the England team which i think we may lose if somebody else takes over. I don't think Stuart Pearce is a bad call? worked with the young players and now as they are breaking into the first team he knows them pretty well? If not a English manager then maybe look as Guus Hiddink?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The role is a poisoned chalice unfortunately. Some people are still so deluded that they believe that our squad is in the top 5 in the world, whereas in reality, it is not even in the top 5 in Europe.

If it was to be a foreign manager taking over, I think Hiddink would be the best option.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Am i the only one slightly sad to see Capello go?
No. He was pretty good, I thought. The jingoistic clamour for another English manager - especially if Harry says no - means we're likely to get another Steve McLaren.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
No, you're not alone. I thought the McLaren era showed that qualification for tournaments wasn't as easy as Sven had made it look. Then Capello came along, and again made that look very easy. Unfortunately he seemed undone by our unrealistic expectations once we are at major tournaments. trurth is, Rooney got to South Africa and was just in shit form. Without him anywhere near his best, we were a very poor side.

Can't help but feel Fabio has done the hard bit - qualifying - and jumped before the impossible bit - satisfying our unrealistic expectations at the tournament.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, I'm sad to see him go. If we don't get Harry, I'd want another foreign manager, as there aren't any other English managers that are available and up to the job (unless we went back to one from the past).

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think we could have won the Euros under Capello. Anyone who criticises his record is deluding themselves - do you really think 'dodgy geezer' Redknapp will fare any better? This is another mess created by the intransigence and arrogance of those p***ks in blazers at the FA.

Bhafc11

Nov 24, 2011
Also i would like to add i think Capello did the right thing standing his ground. Its his (was) job to decide who to be captain not the FA. I normally say i don't care about what happens outside of football it should be who is best for the job. But after this second big story surrounding Terry i do think he should lose captaincy... but it should be the managers choice not the FA.

Bhafc11

Nov 24, 2011
I think we could have won the Euros under Capello. Anyone who criticises his record is deluding themselves - do you really think 'dodgy geezer' Redknapp will fare any better? This is another mess created by the intransigence and arrogance of those p***ks in blazers at the FA.

Completely Agree.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
At the end of the day, we beat spain with fabio in charge not long ago. I know it was a complete fluke but still :nono:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Also i would like to add i think Capello did the right thing standing his ground. Its his (was) job to decide who to be captain not the FA. I normally say i don't care about what happens outside of football it should be who is best for the job. But after this second big story surrounding Terry i do think he should lose captaincy... but it should be the managers choice not the FA.

Agree with this. At the very least they could have talked to Capello and come to some agreement between them. Sounds like they just acted behind his back. Also, although I'm not a fan of the bloke, isn't Terry innocent until found guilty?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
His and Graham Taylor's records are suprisingly quite similar.

FC Pld 42 Won 28 D. 8 L.6
GT Pld 38 Won 18 D.13 L.7

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
At the end of the day, we beat spain with fabio in charge not long ago. I know it was a complete fluke but still :nono:

Not really, okay it was backs to the wall stuff (at home) but we were organised enough to beat the world champions, now we will get 'arry who has an FA Cup to this name after nearly bankrupting Portsmouth.

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
As much as I rate Capello as a club manager (his record speaks for itself), the national team needs a change from the bottom up, and it's not just a case of tweaking the starting 11.

Gary Neville spoke common sense on Monday Night Football, talking about how 2012 should be about bringing the younger players through in place of the 'Golden Generation', and letting them have experience in tournament football. Brazil 2014 is where we need to look.

Capello made too many errors for me. Joe Hart was in great form before the last tournament, yet was put behind Robert Green. We never recovered from that draw against the USA. Scott Parker, who was the country's best defensive midfielder, was left out of the squad entirely. Even last Sunday, Capello voiced his opinion that Rooney didn't look confident on his penalties against Chelsea, and told those in his company that he thought that Rooney would miss them on both occassions. It's fine to think that, but to voice it, about your spearhead forward?

I know Gary Neville is a character who divides opinion, but in my view, he's spot on, and this was before Capello walked. If anyone's interested, he wrote an article in the Daily Mail, which you can read here - Gary Neville: Is it time for Fabio Capello to go with the next generation? | Mail Online

Bhafc11

Nov 24, 2011

I think we did well and i believe we played without a full strength team. Thinking about this more im getting more annoyed that Capello's gone. I think Redknapp should be the manager after next once his finished whats his started at tottenham.

Bhafc11

Nov 24, 2011
As much as I rate Capello as a club manager (his record speaks for itself), the national team needs a change from the bottom up, and it's not just a case of tweaking the starting 11.

Gary Neville spoke common sense on Monday Night Football, talking about how 2012 should be about bringing the younger players through in place of the 'Golden Generation', and letting them have experience in tournament football. Brazil 2014 is where we need to look.

Capello made too many errors for me. Joe Hart was in great form before the last tournament, yet was put behind Robert Green. We never recovered from that draw against the USA. Scott Parker, who was the country's best defensive midfielder, was left out of the squad entirely. Even last Sunday, Capello voiced his opinion that Rooney didn't look confident on his penalties against Chelsea, and told those in his company that he thought that Rooney would miss them on both occassions. It's fine to think that, but to voice it, about your spearhead forward?

I know Gary Neville is a character who divides opinion, but in my view, he's spot on, and this was before Capello walked. If anyone's interested, he wrote an article in the Daily Mail, which you can read here - Gary Neville: Is it time for Fabio Capello to go with the next generation? | Mail Online

Completely agree with the new generation to come in. I think Parker should be captain, his been brilliant for tottenham. Welbeck Young and Rooney together i think would work well. Also Carrick is doing well recently and i think he would be good as he knows when to play his passes to Rooney, Young and Welbeck.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
When will people realise with England that you cannot polish a turd.

The reason why we are not consistently threatening to win tournaments has nothing to do with managers, the FA or grassroots football and everything to do with the attitude and arrogance of the players.

Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Terry were meant to be the golden generation. Instead, they have failed to perform at the top level and because of their attitude would have failed regardless of whether Eriksson, Capello or McLaren was in charge of the team.

If and when Redknapp takes over, I can guarantee we'll get to the semi's of the Euro's and everyone will be talking about plucky England. We'll then struggle to qualify for the 2014 world cup and we will be in the same position as we are now.

Whoever takes the role over needs to overhaul how players are selected and also need to sit down and have sensible discussion with Premier League managers who are only concerned about qualifying for the Champions League.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
When will people realise with England that you cannot polish a turd.

The reason why we are not consistently threatening to win tournaments has nothing to do with managers, the FA or grassroots football and everything to do with the attitude and arrogance of the players.

Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Terry were meant to be the golden generation. Instead, they have failed to perform at the top level and because of their attitude would have failed regardless of whether Eriksson, Capello or McLaren was in charge of the team.

If and when Redknapp takes over, I can guarantee we'll get to the semi's of the Euro's and everyone will be talking about plucky England. We'll then struggle to qualify for the 2014 world cup and we will be in the same position as we are now.

Whoever takes the role over needs to overhaul how players are selected and also need to sit down and have sensible discussion with Premier League managers who are only concerned about qualifying for the Champions League.

Yep

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
We really need another English manager like a hole in the head.Going back to Sir Alf we have only had 2 decent English managers,Robson and Vennables,jury still out on Hoddle,and Keegan, Taylor and McClaren complete disasters.I don't care where our next manager comes from, but i would hope he has won more than one F.A. cup and finished higher than fourth in the league.So,Gus Hiddinck for me then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here