Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am I allowed to say this?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If we carry on playing the football we've seen in our first six games of the season, we'll be a Premier League team next season.

Note, I'm not saying we are going up. I am saying that the benchmark is set high - and if it is reached, promotion beckons.

Someone tell me
a) that isn't arrogant and
b) I'm not dreaming this. We're not still a run of the mill league one side playing in front of 6,500 any more.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
You don't need anyone's permission Simster, I was going to start a similar thread. I along with us all, am absolutely overjoyed at the moment. I just can't believe it. One little anecdote from tonight if I may. A little lad was walking home with is Dad, the little lad was all dressed in his away kit and he looked at his Dad and said "Why his everyone so happy, we only scored one goal in two hours of football" That made me chuckle, although his Dad did look a bit re in the face. lol.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
If we carry on playing the football we've seen in our first six games of the season, we'll be a Premier League team next season.

Note, I'm not saying we are going up. I am saying that the benchmark is set high - and if it is reached, promotion beckons.

Someone tell me
b) I'm not dreaming this. We're not still a run of the mill league one side playing in front of 6,500 any more.

It's not really arrogant because it's not really a particularly interesting observation - if we carry on playing well enough to win 5 out of 6 games we will obviously be a Premier League team next season. It's the 'if' bit which you pass over at the start of your sentence which is key!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's not really arrogant because it's not really a particularly interesting observation - if we carry on playing well enough to win 5 out of 6 games we will obviously be a Premier League team next season. It's the 'if' bit which you pass over at the start of your sentence which is key!
Fair comment, it's just that it seems to me that nobody is daring to suggest it might just be our season!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
IF. IF we keep playing this football.

Last year it was obvious very early on that we were the real deal and would walk the league. Now, its more a case of 'if we can keep this up', we'll be close. It feels like we're hanging on a little bit more than in L1. But its certainly possible, and the Harley signing is very exciting, and Buckley will be back soon, and Hoskins has barely played yet,..!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Someone tell me

Seems a pretty fair assessment to me. The real 'if' though could be 'if' we avoid injuries to key players.. such as CMS and Greer.

Assuming (a big assumption) that we can field our best team every week, I'd now be amazed if we don't finish in the top ten. And maybe better. I keep expecting to see something that we should be scared of but it's not happened yet. West Ham v Leeds for instance at the weekend, the Hammers couldn't cope with Leeds' pace on the wings for long spells, and we've got just as much ability on that score.

B.H.A. Damski

May 28, 2011
well said. Personally i think any team that have come up from league one that beat cardiff sunderland and draw against blackpool are pretty 'special' but injuries could ruin our season :(

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Someone tell me

:vuvu:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
There are too many strong teams in this division to consider automatic promotion - but certainly wouldn't bet against the play-offs. On current form, 6th place definitely achievable...

huge

Mar 23, 2011
Early doors. Keep the momentum going and keep the small squad fit. Maybe just maybe. We've a tough campaign ahead but we've mixed it with spuds, Blackpool and Sunderland. We need to do it week in and week out. Sure we can be contenders but we won't walk it.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Firstly, let me agree that tonight's result was absolutely terrific and no less than wholly justified.

To take it beyond that, at this stage, may be somewhat ambitious but, the team have put on some amazingly good performances this season already. Though none of us knows what is going through Gus's mind, his interview bytes continue to suggest that we should not expect promotion this season. That said, I am certain that we will consolidate and who knows if GP is just being somewhat conservative in his apparent asperations.

Firstly, let me agree that tonight's result was absolutely terrific and no less than wholly justified.

To take it beyond that, at this stage, may be somewhat ambitious but, the team have put on some amazingly good performances this season already. Though none of us knows what is going through Gus's mind, his interview bytes continue to suggest that we should not expect promotion this season. That said, I am certain that we will consolidate and who knows if GP is just being somewhat conservative in his apparent asperations.

That's what he said last season! And look where it got us!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There are too many strong teams in this division to consider automatic promotion - but certainly wouldn't bet against the play-offs. On current form, 6th place definitely achievable...
Indeed, if you want to dream, dream of getting 6th place. We've had a great start, but there are several better squads than ours, including ones with new managers and more new players in their starting 11 than us, that haven't gelled yet.

Though none of us knows what is going through Gus's mind, his interview bytes continue to suggest that we should not expect promotion this season. That said, I am certain that we will consolidate and who knows if GP is just being somewhat conservative in his apparent asperations.
I don't think he's being conservative, he's being realistic.

I'm as happy about our results as anyone, but looking at our games we needed some luck to beat Donny (sharp being injured and them going down to 10 men), although I felt we played better than Pompy, it took a last minurte penalty save to get us those points, and we drew at home to Blackpool. The only league game where we really excelled was against Cardiff - that was a fantastic performance and result, but hardly enough to suggest we'll be in the promotion race. Another great result today, but cup competitions are no predictor of league success.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Someone tell me

And of those 6 games you've been to, what, 2 of them?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Someone tell me

League positions are typically close to salary ranking. Gus confounded that last year - from being sixth in salary ranking (apparently) to top. In this division we are around 12th-14th in salary ranking (again apparently) - in a tougher division can he do similar ? Possibly - but we are with bigger clubs with bigger ambitions. As you say it is too early to call for promotion - but Gus is taking exactly the right approach. Let's have another look at Christmas.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
League positions are typically close to salary ranking. Gus confounded that last year - from being sixth in salary ranking (apparently) to top. In this division we are around 12th-14th in salary ranking (again apparently) - in a tougher division can he do similar ? Possibly - but we are with bigger clubs with bigger ambitions. As you say it is too early to call for promotion - but Gus is taking exactly the right approach. Let's have another look at Christmas.

Hmmm somehow I don't believe Norwich or Swansea had massive wage bills last season. I bet they're not far off us and Blackpool definitely didn't !!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Very, very early to get carried away. Can understand the sentiments because we all want to see our lads do the business. But we are still in August. Injuries before we started the season, fresh ones rearing their ugly heads, suspensions that will be inevitable, a run of poor form. All possible. I'm not trying to dampen the moment, just trying to keep a clear head! On current form we would have CMS scoring 27 goals over 9 months and Barnesy scoring 36 after 9 months, based purely on them scoring 3 and 4 respectively in the first month (so far), but it ain't likely to happen. Going to try and keep my head screwed on and go with the ride, wherever it takes us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here