Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Always have enough money for a party

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
The plans proposed by the preferred developers Lend Lease show how the Olympic Village will be transformed after the London 2012 Games.

During the Olympic Games the Village will accommodate 17,000 athletes and officials. Around 6,500 will be housed there during the Paralympic Games.

After the Games the plans propose around 4,000 new homes, many of which will be affordable, as well as new schools, hospitals, open spaces, transport links and community facilities.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you've bought a lottery ticket in the last 7 years or live in London, then you've contributed more than most. Some money has come from central government but 27 million is cheaper than Andy Carrol and a lot more benefit. I believe the accommodation is going to become housing after the games, and of course the visitors are spending sterling whilst here.

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
It amazes me how the people that moan that the government isn't doing enough spending to stimulate the economy are the same ones who moan about the cost of Olympics.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
The original sentiment would have been on the mark if we'd been in a mess when we won the Olympics but we weren't. The world has changed dramatically since then. We made a commitment in 2005 and we had to honour it.

Ken Livingstone said yesterday no government would have spent that money on regenerating that area so it's a massive boost for East London and if they do things properly something that will be of benefit for years to come.

Pull this off and who knows FIFA and UEFA might realise what they could have.

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
The one thing I detest more than anything is people that say their broke. But somehow still have enough money for a big party.

Great Britain.

All I have heard is the country is broke. We have no money. Taxes have to go up, spending has to be cut. I could have quite happily done without that big opening ceremony.

I watched it wanting to vomit. Surely there is better uses for all that cash than a 5 hour Olympic party. Grrr.
You could do your little bit to help the country by buying domestically produced whisky, not American imports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here