Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ally McCoist

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Pished off by the sale of his top striker, or eyeing up a move to Leeds?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It does make you wonder, how does a team with their average gates get into such a mess ? It's not as though they have to try that hard. I bet they still think that they should get automatic inclusion to the Premier League.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
It does make you wonder, how does a team with their average gates get into such a mess ? It's not as though they have to try that hard. I bet they still think that they should get automatic inclusion to the Premier League.

Sorry - who precisely at Rangers thinks 'they should get automatic inclusion to the Premier League'?! Or are you just talking absolute bollocks?!!

PS - they are already in the Scottish Premier League in case you hadn't noticed!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wonder if he'll get any job offers? The problem with managing Rangers or Celtic in the MTL is that the only measure of your ability is whether you beat the other side in the endless matches between them. Beat Kilmarnock and Dundee United and Aberdeen or whichever teams are up there these days and nobody notices or cares because so you bloody should with attendances of 45,000 against their 7,000 or so.

Unless you utterly spank the other Old Firm team relentlessly every time, then nobody can actually tell whether you're any good, because it's so easy to beat the other mickey mouse teams.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
I wonder if he'll get any job offers? The problem with managing Rangers or Celtic in the MTL is that the only measure of your ability is whether you beat the other side in the endless matches between them. Beat Kilmarnock and Dundee United and Aberdeen or whichever teams are up there these days and nobody notices or cares because so you bloody should with attendances of 45,000 against their 7,000 or so.

Unless you utterly spank the other Old Firm team relentlessly every time, then nobody can actually tell whether you're any good, because it's so easy to beat the other mickey mouse teams.

Unfortunately this is not proving to be the case for Rangers this season, though I accept the point that on paper they should!!

Funny old game!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It did make me laugh that someone texted the BBC not understanding why Grant Holt had turned down a move to Rangers because it could have been his only opportunity to play in Europe and also compete for silverware. I'm sure he would have loved those trips to Inverness and Aberdeen for the massive MTL games and he's quite likely to still have his School Under 12s Man-of-the-match trophies which would no doubt take priority over anything in Scotland

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
About 20 years ago Celtic were in equally dire financial straights (Jack McGinn was regularly mocked for his poor financial acumen) but a share issue plus a takeover by Fergus McCann (a candian/scotsman who had a reasonable supply of cash) salvaged the club.

I'm sure rangers will be saved because there are too many supporters globally for it not to happen. However they have lurched from one false dawn to another. managers of either side have regularly been relatively successful either previously or subsequently in other roles with fairly safe mid table top flight performances for Walter Smith, Billy McNeil, Jock Wallace and Jock Stein, Gordon Strachan, Wim Jansen, Graeme Souness, Martin O'Neill and so on. I'm sure McCoist will be fine.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I understand this debt has been building since the 80s (pre Souness) and one of their former chairman said that for every fiver Celtic spend they will spend a tenner. Hence the english migration trevor steven, souness, butcher, gazza and then those players like laudrup.

Its now catching up with them.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sorry - who precisely at Rangers thinks 'they should get automatic inclusion to the Premier League'?! Or are you just talking absolute bollocks?!!

PS - they are already in the Scottish Premier League in case you hadn't noticed!!

Talking bollocks ? Do you live in a cave or something ? Both Celtic and Rangers have been saying for some time that they want to be in the Premier League, they are very aware of how limiting the Scottish Premier League is. In fact are you aware that they planned to break away not so long ago ? Obviously not.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Talking bollocks ? Do you live in a cave or something ? Both Celtic and Rangers have been saying for some time that they want to be in the Premier League, they are very aware of how limiting the Scottish Premier League is. In fact are you aware that they planned to break away not so long ago ? Obviously not.

You referred to Rangers thinking they should get 'automatic inclusion' - for clarity THAT is total bollocks!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I understand this debt has been building since the 80s (pre Souness) and one of their former chairman said that for every fiver Celtic spend they will spend a tenner. Hence the english migration trevor steven, souness, butcher, gazza and then those players like laudrup.

Its now catching up with them.

Years ago I could have named most of the Rangers- or Celtic- side, and in fact plenty of players from other Scottish clubs. Willie Miller, Alex McLeish, Mark McGhee at Aberdeen. Sturrock, Duncan Ferguson, Iain Ferguson at Dundee United. John Colquhoun, John Robertson, Mo Johnstone, Paul Lambert, etc etc. Maybe that was because the Scottish national side was qualifying for major tournaments at that time and their league generally had a higher profile. But now, I'd struggle to name any Rangers players, maybe two or three at the absolute most. As for the likes of Aberdeen, I'd have no idea, I don't even know which other teams are currently in the SPL. I know Hearts have lots of Lithuanian connections, but that's about it.

Rangers nearly went bust before David Murray took over, didn't they, and after he arrived they sorted themselves out after years of medicrity. But it's hard to see where any extra money comes from now, or any future potential to expand.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It seems to me that it would be in their interests to expand the SPL into a Celtic league, incorporating ROI and Northern Ireland. Too bad that the sectarianism they have both exploited in order to make themselves Scottish powerhouses now makes that impossible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here