Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All Things Bennetts Field Car Park - including club statement (merged threads)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But stewards could be used to give priority to BF parkers. You only need the police, if you are intending to stop traffic on the public highway. And the only reason you'd want to do that is to make the junction with badly phased traffic signals work more efficiently.

My prediction is that, once the re-phasing of the signals is completed, next month, the police will cease to be required and the lights will be allowed to do the job.

And deal with threats to order, persons (even if on private land).

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I find all this deeply fascinating. As other posters have said, there is congestion around a hell of a lot of football grounds. I remember it taking 45 minutes to get out of the car park by Home Park one season, with a crowd of about six or seven thousand in the place. Even longer the season we won promotion down there. I queued through bloody Hartlepool town centre for ages last season or the one before, and the Portman Road area was a particular nightmare after an Ipswich game.

The worst I've ever endured was Yeovil Town. Well over an hour to get away from the ground. Yep, it was annoying, but on balance, what's the big deal? We all have things to endure in life. If people accepted that there was going to be a delay, rather than sitting with their engines revving, getting more and more wound up, perhaps it wouldn't feel so bad.

People queue for the buses. They queue for the trains. They queue for the P&R shuttles. MOST- and I appreciate not all- car users to the Amex have a choice in the matter, so if it bothers you that much, the obvious (and possibly flippant) answer is: don't use the car? I wouldn't mind driving, it'd be highly convenient for me as I don't live in Brighton, but I can't justify the cost of parking, nor am I a 1901 member so I probably wouldn't get a space anyway, therefore I make other arrangements. I accept that it means I have to wait for a train at Falmer, then change at Brighton for one back to Burgess Hill. It's not massively convenient but that's the choice I've made. I don't expect it to happen in seconds, or complain to the rail companies that it's not quick enough and that they should have a direct service.

I have no issues with the price anybody pays for a season ticket, we're all fans aren't we, but it is rather coming across to us non-drivers that some people think their right is to be whizzed instantly out of the stadium come the final whistle. People end up queuing at other clubs, so why should the Albion be different? It's what happens when you get 20,000 people in the same spot, all wanting to move at once. An hour doesn't sound THAT bad to me, I was expecting much worse to be honest. You're paying for the space, not priority when it comes to getting back on the road afterwards. I think a little learning from experience (by the club) and a little perspective on life (by the car park users) is the only solution here.

PS I knew the trains would be a nightmare after an evening game, and knowing I had to be up early on Wednesday for work, I booked a seat on one of the StageDoor coaches for Tuesday night. Paid a fiver, dropped straight outside the stadium, and was home by 2300 afterwards. I highly recommend them. Just because you have a car park space, doesn't necessarily mean you can't look at other options on occasion. There are coaches going all over Sussex, worth looking at?

Interesting post- interesting that you mention perceived "rights"

Psychologically speaking, road rage occurs as expectations clash with reality- for example my dad expects everyone to drive as well and with the same mannerisms as he. Frustration and annoyance occurs when in reality this isn't the case.

Thus if people lower their expectations, they won't get so annoyed :)

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
I find all this deeply fascinating. As other posters have said, there is congestion around a hell of a lot of football grounds. I remember it taking 45 minutes to get out of the car park by Home Park one season, with a crowd of about six or seven thousand in the place. Even longer the season we won promotion down there. I queued through bloody Hartlepool town centre for ages last season or the one before, and the Portman Road area was a particular nightmare after an Ipswich game.

The worst I've ever endured was Yeovil Town. Well over an hour to get away from the ground. Yep, it was annoying, but on balance, what's the big deal? We all have things to endure in life. If people accepted that there was going to be a delay, rather than sitting with their engines revving, getting more and more wound up, perhaps it wouldn't feel so bad.

People queue for the buses. They queue for the trains. They queue for the P&R shuttles. MOST- and I appreciate not all- car users to the Amex have a choice in the matter, so if it bothers you that much, the obvious (and possibly flippant) answer is: don't use the car? I wouldn't mind driving, it'd be highly convenient for me as I don't live in Brighton, but I can't justify the cost of parking, nor am I a 1901 member so I probably wouldn't get a space anyway, therefore I make other arrangements. I accept that it means I have to wait for a train at Falmer, then change at Brighton for one back to Burgess Hill. It's not massively convenient but that's the choice I've made. I don't expect it to happen in seconds, or complain to the rail companies that it's not quick enough and that they should have a direct service.

I have no issues with the price anybody pays for a season ticket, we're all fans aren't we, but it is rather coming across to us non-drivers that some people think their right is to be whizzed instantly out of the stadium come the final whistle. People end up queuing at other clubs, so why should the Albion be different? It's what happens when you get 20,000 people in the same spot, all wanting to move at once. An hour doesn't sound THAT bad to me, I was expecting much worse to be honest. You're paying for the space, not priority when it comes to getting back on the road afterwards. I think a little learning from experience (by the club) and a little perspective on life (by the car park users) is the only solution here.

PS I knew the trains would be a nightmare after an evening game, and knowing I had to be up early on Wednesday for work, I booked a seat on one of the StageDoor coaches for Tuesday night. Paid a fiver, dropped straight outside the stadium, and was home by 2300 afterwards. I highly recommend them. Just because you have a car park space, doesn't necessarily mean you can't look at other options on occasion. There are coaches going all over Sussex, worth looking at?

Common sense:
2 particularly salient remarks:
"some people think their right is to be whizzed instantly out of the stadium come the final whistle".
"You're paying for the space, not priority when it comes to getting back on the road afterwards."

Paying for 1901 and Bennetts Field was never a golden ticket to get home early take priority over the many thousand leaving the site by other means.
All of the 20,000 are having to adapt and accept that there is more inconvenience than a mere 8,000 parking at or near Withdean.
Emirates, Wembley, Twickenham etc users accept this hassle.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Interesting post- interesting that you mention perceived "rights"

Psychologically speaking, road rage occurs as expectations clash with reality- for example my dad expects everyone to drive as well and with the same mannerisms as he. Frustration and annoyance occurs when in reality this isn't the case.

Thus if people lower their expectations, they won't get so annoyed :)

Always expect the worst, then you'll never be disappointed :thumbsup: Surely all our collective years of supporting the Albion should have taught most people that valuable lesson?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1901ers versus the law. It's gonna be The Battle of The Beanfield part II on Saturday........sort of.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
1901ers versus the law. It's gonna be The Battle of The Beanfield part II on Saturday.

If people are daft enough to get wound up enough by a car park queue that they start hurling abuse and/or physical threats towards stewards or other drivers, or driving like complete morons as a result, then it's a pretty poor reflection on them.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Do you judge the league table after four matches? No! Can we please wait and see how things are going at Christmas. People at the club are working day and night whilst getting endless shit from fans. It's a thankless task. Stories of people complaining to senior members of the club several times a day by email... How the f*** are the supposed to get anything done. Everything about this stadium has surpassed my expectations (and I've had pies, Harveys, pepsi; I've used the train, bus, car parks and walked, etc, etc). The club have had three (that I know of) meetings with the fans trying go make everything as good as it can be; they're working 18 hours a day for you to try to make everything perfect.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Was driving always going to be difficult though? That's why the club have gone to HUGE lengths to make sure people can get buses and trains into the ground. If more people traveled by bus and train then it wouldn't be such a problem for everyone who really needs to drive to get away.

Hoops Seagull

Nov 17, 2008
Why dont they just time-share,.... 5 mins of bus traffic followed by 5 mins of BF traffic, all controlled by the Police with the lights off,..... at least that would allow the wait load to be shared instead of entirely on the 1901 shoulders.

QUOTE]

This, at least there would be a feeling that we had some movement. And given buses are carrying 40-50 people each the numbers equate fairly well.

Have now read the Argus news article. Some of the comments are frankly a little ignorant and without any basis. Anyone who was in that car park on Tuesday night will tell you there were no stewards in sight so not sure how anyone can have abused/harassed them!!

There were 4 stewards that we saw when my daughter and son-inl-law walked to the top of BF. I never saw anyone getting abusive. There was no one policeman or steward when we were still in Bennetts field

Hoops Seagull

Nov 17, 2008
Also another thing that annoys people in Bennetts Field is that we are kept in the car park and told its for safety reasons with the pedestrians but yet we see cars coming up from that North car park around the East stand where fans are walking about and drive straight past us!! That is what makes people snap. That and the fact the argus can't even get the facts right in their story

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can I be the first to point out that an anagram of 'Bennetts Field' is 'Let Binfest End'.

Can I be the first to point out that Tom Hark Preston Park is an anagram of

Park? Protest, Honk, Ram!

I think we know who the unruly driver was now...

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Was driving always going to be difficult though? That's why the club have gone to HUGE lengths to make sure people can get buses and trains into the ground. If more people traveled by bus and train then it wouldn't be such a problem for everyone who really needs to drive to get away.

The vast majority have adapted and accepted the site, and size of crowds, necessarily mean a visit to see the Albion will be a much longer venture.

Some Bennett Fielders seem to have spent the last few months picturing a cushy drive away at 4:50, ahead of everyone else, and thus not adapting to the realities of the crowds and non-ideal road layout.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Ohhhhh Argus in NSC "plagarisation and jumping to conclusions it can't support" scandal......again......snore......snore......snore.....

really shoddy journalism at its finest...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Also another thing that annoys people in Bennetts Field is that we are kept in the car park and told its for safety reasons with the pedestrians but yet we see cars coming up from that North car park around the East stand where fans are walking about and drive straight past us!! That is what makes people snap. That and the fact the argus can't even get the facts right in their story

This.

I know it's widely funny to laugh at 1901ers but unless you have experienced Bennets Field you won't understand what we are saying. I have no right at all to get home quicker than anyone else but I'm sure every reasonable person would think it is perverse that the most expensive packages are getting home an hour after everyone else!!

We don't want preferential treatment, just the same treatment. And please don't forget that the car park is made up of very long term fans predominantly and disabled fans. Yes there are some Range Rover newby wanker corporates but they are in the minority.

Additionally the "abuse" of stewards must only be a handful of fans because all I have seen is people sitting in their cars, frustrated but patient.

And that is my last post on this subject until Saturday when hopefully I will come back with a thread headed "congratulations to club/police - Bennetts Field now sorted." I am optimistic.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think what you pay is anything to do with it, and "perverse" is a bizarre term to use: you are the people opting (for the most part) to access the stadium via the biggest pinch point, that's the choice you made: ergo when you come to leave, you will generally have to deal with the consequences of that in reverse. The alternative, as has been stated, is to use another mode of transport. I'm not entirely sure what the club can do about it, cancel parking permits and have fewer vehicles perhaps.

And I know I'm perhaps on slightly sensitive ground here so I am genuinely trying to ask this in all sincerity: you refer to the disabled supporters who (quite rightly) have priority when it comes to spaces and being near the ground, so as to cater for their needs....but does that (and should that) impact on the speed at which they leave the area afterwards? I suppose what I'm trying to ask is, is there any reason why someone's disability should require them to have priority when it comes to getting away after a game? Perhaps there is, and if I've missed something important there, please (honestly!) tell me, as I'd hate to cause offence. I'm just curious as I get the impression that's what you were saying.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
People with different disabilities may have issues with being held in one place for a long period of time. One father of a disabled lad I know is reconsidering whether they can continue to use the car park as long times in a car like this ate not good for his condition. I doubt this is the only example but it's the only one I know of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here