Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] All the good ones are taken... or are they?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It was a mistake allowing him in, they had no room for a personality of that sort in the very interesting young team they were building.

So yeah, bad Ole allowing Ronaldo, but can't get everyhing right. But in fairness to Ole, he might not be the only manager who would have said "yeah that lad looks pretty good lets get him in".

Ok. Personally at equally interested in trying to measure quality and output as I am in the resources spent. Imo he did more with less than a number of other post-Ferguson managers (though they've all worked with so-so squads).
It's not like I think he's some sort of hideous joke of a man or anything, I just think he did a good to decent job. Nothing to be too down about but also nothing that would get me excited about the idea of him managing anywhere else.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
Don't have enough insight to list them in order of quality. But sure, there are some I rate higher than others and some I believe are more likely than others. But they're all candidates.

Solskjaer is listed for obvious reasons: he made a great job for Manchester United (ruined by the signing of Cristiano Ronaldo) and also previously in Molde.
They played excellent football, particularly in the 19/20 season. OGS focused on young players and gave a lot of chances to unproven youngsters like Brandon Williams, Scott McTominay, Dickhead Greenwood, Andreas Pereira, re-established Rashford (who barely played under Mourinho), and got them 3rd while playing their best football post-Fergie.

His reputation is bad among PL fans because most people outsource their brains to media narratives.
OGS has a better chance than many on this list.
Graham Potter was streets ahead of OGS tactically, this is bananas!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We have no idea who will be enquired after, but I am fairly sure Scott Parker and OGS won't be.
One not on the list but an outside possibility, because of playing style and achievement, is Wilfried Nancy. But like his compatriot, Eric Roy, a gamble in terms of experience, but even more so.
Both these men are loved by their players, and have a good connection with their clubs supporters. But Nancy seems to have Potters tactical flexibility, with De Zerbis belief that his team can achieve more, and nothing is impossible. A risk, but could be genius.

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
"Dear God! Do we have to choose between Graham Potter and Steve Cooper? We're missing out on everyone else!"

There's maybe a 5% chance of something that one of those two are coaching us next season...

See this as the anti-panic thread.

This is my (incomplete, because if I spend another hour on it I'd find a couple more) list of non-Cooper/Potter managers who I could imagine us appointing (in most cases to much excitement):

Unemployed
Gerhard Struber (last club RB Salzburg)
Mark van Bommel (Antwerp)
Gio van Bronckhorst (Rangers)
Stefano Pioli (Milan)
Pascal Jansen (AZ)
Javi Gracia (Leeds)
Quique Setién (Villarreal)
Bruno Genesio (Rennes)
Niko Kovac (Wolfsburg)
Will Still (Reims)
Scott Parker (Club Brugge)
Rafa Benitez (Celta Vigo)
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (Manchester United)
Laurent Blanc (Lyon)
Ruud van Nistelrooy (PSV)
Liam Rosenior (Hull)
Marcelo Gallardo (Saudi somewhere)
Michael Beale (Sunderland)
Philip Cocu (Vitesse)
Wouter Vrancken (Genk)

Employed
Thorsten Fink (St Truiden)
Luke Williams (Swansea)
Michael Carrick (Middlesbrough)
Carlos Corberan (West Bromwich)
Kjetil Knutsen (Bodö/Glimt)
Eric Roy (Brest)
Vincenzo Italiano (Fiorentina)
Hein Vanhaezebrouck (Gent)
Jindrich Tripsovsky (Slavia Prague)

Feel free to add to the list or tell me if someone snuck off and found himself a new job or something.

No list is complete without Gary Neville. :p

More serious, what about Maurizio Sarri? Think he's better than lot of managers you've mentioned.

I want to see Gallardo in Europe too. Was a bit surprised when he went to SA last year but he was already sacked by Al-Ittihad. Still rate him and interested where he'll end up.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
No list is complete without Gary Neville. :p

More serious, what about Maurizio Sarri? Think he's better than lot of managers you've mentioned.

I want to see Gallardo in Europe too. Was a bit surprised when he went to SA last year but he was already sacked by Al-Ittihad. Still rate him and interested where he'll end up.
Sarri is a batshit crazy Italian and we're not doing that this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here