Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All sorts going on in Preston Park

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Two deaf guys walk into a pub in Burnley.

One gives his mate a twenty pound note and says:

"You get the drinks in. I'll find us a seat."

So the guy goes to the bar and orders two pints of lager. The barman serves him and gives him two pounds change.

"What's this?" the deaf guy asks, looking at his change. "You charge nine pounds a pint in here these days?"

"Nah," the barman says. "We've got a live band in tonight. There's a £5 cover charge. You and your mate, that's a tenner."

"Live band?"

"Live band," the bartender confirms.

"What, rock and roll, Indie, hip-hop, grunge...?"

"Country and Western," the barman replies.

"Ri-ight..." the deaf guy says as he takes the drinks.

He rejoins his mate. Puts the drinks on the table.

"Where's me change?" the friend asks.

He gets handed the two quid.

"What? They charge nine quid a fuggin pint in here now do they? What's the crack?"

"They've got a band on. £5 cover charge."

"A band?"

"Oh yes."

"What? Rock n roll, Indie, hip hop, grunge?"

"Nah,"

"What then?"

"Some c unt from Preston."

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I agree with your outline, but I still wonder what do you hit once you have travelled further north than Preston Village and at what point do you hit it? Similarly, where are you if you go west of Dyke Road? There just don't seem to be clear boundaries in this part of the world. It doesn't keep me awake at night, but I'd like to know where I am. Your Lewes line/Stanford Ave definition is a good one though.

Once you're west of Dyke Road, you can call that area... 'Hove'.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yeah. :)

Preston, Lancashire
Preston, Cotswold, Gloucestershire (near Cirencester)
Preston, Devon (in Paignton)
Preston, Teignbridge, Devon
Preston, Dorset
Preston, East Riding of Yorkshire, near Kingston upon Hull
Preston, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire (near Ledbury)
Preston, Hertfordshire
Preston, London, near Wembley
Preston, Northumberland
Preston, Rutland
Preston, Somerset
Preston, Tyne and Wear
Preston, Aldbourne and Ramsbury, Wiltshire
Preston, Lyneham, Wiltshire
Preston Bagot, Warwickshire
Preston Bissett, Buckinghamshire
Preston Brook, Cheshire
Preston Capes, Northamptonshire
Preston Crowmarsh, Oxfordshire
Preston Deanery, Northamptonshire
Preston Gubbals, Shropshire
Preston-le-Skern, County Durham
Preston-next-Faversham, Kent
Preston-next-Wingham, Kent
Preston-on-Stour, Warwickshire
Preston-on-Tees, Eaglescliffe, Teesside
Preston on the Hill, Cheshire
Preston on Wye, Herefordshire
Preston Plucknett, Somerset
Preston St Mary, Suffolk
Preston-under-Scar, North Yorkshire
Preston upon the Weald Moors, Shropshire
Preston Village, Brighton, Sussex
Preston Wynne, Herefordshire
Great Preston, West Yorkshire
Long Preston, North Yorkshire

You should get out more!

How to Get a Life

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Two deaf guys walk into a pub in Burnley.

One gives his mate a twenty pound note and says:

"You get the drinks in. I'll find us a seat."

So the guy goes to the bar and orders two pints of lager. The barman serves him and gives him two pounds change.

"What's this?" the deaf guy asks, looking at his change. "You charge nine pounds a pint in here these days?"

"Nah," the barman says. "We've got a live band in tonight. There's a £5 cover charge. You and your mate, that's a tenner."

"Live band?"

"Live band," the bartender confirms.

"What, rock and roll, Indie, hip-hop, grunge...?"

"Country and Western," the barman replies.

"Ri-ight..." the deaf guy says as he takes the drinks.

He rejoins his mate. Puts the drinks on the table.

"Where's me change?" the friend asks.

He gets handed the two quid.

"What? They charge nine quid a fuggin pint in here now do they? What's the crack?"

"They've got a band on. £5 cover charge."

"A band?"

"Oh yes."

"What? Rock n roll, Indie, hip hop, grunge?"

"Nah,"

"What then?"

"Some c unt from Preston."

Hmmm, seems a bit harsh to charge two deaf patrons for the live music.

What pub was this? Park View?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Yeah. :)

Preston, Lancashire
Preston, Cotswold, Gloucestershire (near Cirencester)
Preston, Devon (in Paignton)
Preston, Teignbridge, Devon
Preston, Dorset
Preston, East Riding of Yorkshire, near Kingston upon Hull
Preston, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire (near Ledbury)
Preston, Hertfordshire
Preston, London, near Wembley
Preston, Northumberland
Preston, Rutland
Preston, Somerset
Preston, Tyne and Wear
Preston, Aldbourne and Ramsbury, Wiltshire
Preston, Lyneham, Wiltshire
Preston Bagot, Warwickshire
Preston Bissett, Buckinghamshire
Preston Brook, Cheshire
Preston Capes, Northamptonshire
Preston Crowmarsh, Oxfordshire
Preston Deanery, Northamptonshire
Preston Gubbals, Shropshire
Preston-le-Skern, County Durham
Preston-next-Faversham, Kent
Preston-next-Wingham, Kent
Preston-on-Stour, Warwickshire
Preston-on-Tees, Eaglescliffe, Teesside
Preston on the Hill, Cheshire
Preston on Wye, Herefordshire
Preston Plucknett, Somerset
Preston St Mary, Suffolk
Preston-under-Scar, North Yorkshire
Preston upon the Weald Moors, Shropshire
Preston Village, Brighton, Sussex
Preston Wynne, Herefordshire
Great Preston, West Yorkshire
Long Preston, North Yorkshire

Preston from the Anglo Saxon 'Priest's Farm'.

That is all.

TNBA

TTF

And that's another conversation. Hove doesn't seem to have anywhere near enough area names in my opinion. How can huge chunks of an entire town be classed as simply 'Hove'?

They use postcodes. Brighton side of Dyke Road is BN1, Hove side is BN3.

However, I would dispute all the area from the West of Railway line to Dyke Road, is Preston Park - some is Withdean.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Depends how you want to define yourself. I had a friend who couldn't bring herself to say she was from Whitehawk; she told everyone she lived in 'East Brighton'. Similarly, Tiddles lives near Preston Park Station, but will tell you he lives in central Brighton.

Preston Park is a Brighton & Hove City Council ward which extends west to Dyke Road, north only as far as Preston Drove, south to New England Road, and east to Ditchling Road, with a north east spur going up as far as Varndean School, so that doesn't really help.

I'd say - as a rough guide - the 'Preston Park area' goes as far west as about a three or four streets west of the Brighton-London railway line, as far north as Preston Village (though the locals might say 'Preston' instead), as far south at the Brighton-Lewes line and as far east as about three or four streets up running off Stanford Avenue / Preston Drove. Just my opinion, like.

I would have said I live in Preston Park until TLO's description! But now I am confused as I clearly just live in the Patcham ward by that (correct) description, but further south than preston park station? I demand I get refunded £50k from my house purchase immediately.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Depends how you want to define yourself. I had a friend who couldn't bring herself to say she was from Whitehawk; she told everyone she lived in 'East Brighton'. Similarly, Tiddles lives near Preston Park Station, but will tell you he lives in central Brighton.

Preston Park is a Brighton & Hove City Council ward which extends west to Dyke Road, north only as far as Preston Drove, south to New England Road, and east to Ditchling Road, with a north east spur going up as far as Varndean School, so that doesn't really help.

I'd say - as a rough guide - the 'Preston Park area' goes as far west as about a three or four streets west of the Brighton-London railway line, as far north as Preston Village (though the locals might say 'Preston' instead), as far south at the Brighton-Lewes line and as far east as about three or four streets up running off Stanford Avenue / Preston Drove. Just my opinion, like.

Ah bless you're always thinking about me. However, as the area I live in is not Preston Village, nor really Preston Park or even Withdean. I think we'll settle on central Brighton.

Preston Park ward does most certainly not extend to Dyke Road. Whatever your new 'lentil' friends might tell you.

Last edited:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
And that's another conversation. Hove doesn't seem to have anywhere near enough area names in my opinion. How can huge chunks of an entire town be classed as simply 'Hove'?

Aldrington, West Hove, Brunswick, St Anns Wells Gardens, Hove Park, Grenadier, Poets Corner, Westbourne, Seafront, St Albans, Wish Park, The Avenues, Davigdor, Station, Nevill....Goldstone

D

Deleted User X18H

Aldrington, West Hove, Brunswick, St Anns Wells Gardens, Hove Park, Grenadier, Poets Corner, Westbourne, Seafront, St Albans, Wish Park, The Avenues, Davigdor, Station, Nevill....Goldstone

Hove has two suburbs both of which you have left out. Hangleton and The Knoll. The Grenadier is just a pub. Nothing more.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I would have said I live in Preston Park until TLO's description! But now I am confused as I clearly just live in the Patcham ward by that (correct) description, but further south than preston park station? I demand I get refunded £50k from my house purchase immediately.

If you're west of the railway line, but south of Preston Park Station, and not in Preston Park ward, you're possible in the Withdean ward.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
If you're west of the railway line, but south of Preston Park Station, and not in Preston Park ward, you're possible in the Withdean ward.

I'm just north of Preston Drove, the next road along. Just seems odd to be that close to Preston Park Hotel, Preston Park station, but to be considered Patcham (Ward) when to me that's miles away!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here