Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Surely he will be off, if nothing else just to remove a wage

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I rate Ali J as a player and as a person - but we have to be ambitious and say farewell and thanks for the memories.

Well, I for one do NOT rate him as a player at Premier League level, and one amazing bit of skill (and a good goal against Bournemouth and Pompey in the League Cup that were memorable) is the total sum of his abject parts at Brighton

I hope he never plays for us again, £2.5 million a year he gets. JOKE. Yes, I know he was offered the contract but more fool 'us' for giving him such a long contract on such high wages. He's pants.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
As most of us have known for a while, he’s just not good enough. For his and our good, he needs to be sold this summer.

Sale? We’d be lucky.
Other clubs would look for contract cancellation by mutual consent, and get him on a free.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I'd make two not so insightful points:
1/ He's one of many who we "know" isn't good enough and replacing all of them isn't going to happen. Is his name first on the list?
2/ He seems to be so poor that GP picks him to play over better players that have to sit out a game or half a game?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I wouldn't be upset to see him stay, he does disappoint sometimes, but the players we have that rarely slip up are all being linked with moves to bigger clubs. Pisses me off a bit that a player that gets such little time on the pitch gets slagged off for not tearing it up, on a day when the team was not at it.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
0 goals, and 1 assist in the Premier League this season. Love the guy for his attitude and effort but he's not upto it. The wages could be better used

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
As someone mentioned previously, it's enormously frustrating that we're having to discuss as to whether he's worth a place in the squad or not for someone who has been our record signing in the last few years. I would imagine his wages aren't shabby either.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
There are plenty of footballers with inferior performance stats than Ali J who are also on very handsome contracts.
Because of that they are very difficult to move on. You only need to look up the A23 for plenty of evidence of similar cases.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ali J is still in our squad next season. I doubt there are many spare millions to replace players who are already contracted.
Any suggestion of letting him depart on a free transfer and paying up his contract wouldn't make sense if it just leaves us a player short.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Not many other top leagues pay PL level wages and I can’t see him getting a deal anywhere at that level so his only option will probably be a loan to the sort of clubs he was knocking back last summer.

We won’t want another season of our record signing playing but part cameos through the season seen enough now time to move on

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
If he was cheap I'd say keep all day long but given he's anything but we need to get off the wage bill if at all possible.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think we'll look to loan him out for the remainder of his contract. If we can find someone to take on 30% of his salary in these financially constrained times, we'll have done very well

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I really hope we can offload Ali this year.

Nothing against him at all, but hopefully someone has some cash to stump up for him and he can get back to enjoying his football again.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
This is a forum. People will discuss which players they think aren’t good enough and as long as it’s professional and about their ability there’s nothing wrong with that. Do you have a problem with the Locadia, Maupay or Connolly threads for example?

In elite football there is little room for sentiment. Players will come and go, managers will come and go. How it will always be.

But I do agree with you to trust GP, with Ashworth, Tony and Paul to make the best decisions for the club.

Thanks. I have no problem in discussing any player. My objection was the use of "culling" as a way of describing what to do with any human being.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Thanks. I have no problem in discussing any player. My objection was the use of "culling" as a way of describing what to do with any human being.

Well said. Way too much disrespectful language used in relation to players who aren't doing as well as others

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here