Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So maybe he is staying now and we’re not trying to flog him.

Well, Potter name checked him yesterday mentioning how he’d like to find ways for him to score more goals.

Here’s an idea, trying playing him!

Hopefully Potter has had a change of mind on Ali.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
So maybe he is staying now and we’re not trying to flog him.

Well, Potter name checked him yesterday mentioning how he’d like to find ways for him to score more goals.

Here’s an idea, trying playing him!

Hopefully Potter has had a change of mind on Ali.

Stick him up front, we could do with a striker.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Well he scored against Bournemouth and again against Chelsea in almost consecutive home games before getting frozen out again. And neither of those were exactly 'tap ins.'

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm fully behind Potter but the AJ thing does puzzle me a bit.

He seems to be genuinely liked and respected by the rest of the squad and recognised as someone who trains well and doesn't get stroppy at being left out of the match day squad. Then he gets his chance, scores two great goals in what is a goal-shy team and then hardly features again? It's not like we're a free-scoring side, banging in goals for fun. And both of his seemed to indicate he is a natural finisher who dares to have a go, given the opportunity. I hope it comes good for him this year - I like his attitude and his audacity when he gets on the pitch and he's got his confidence up.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm fully behind Potter but the AJ thing does puzzle me a bit.

He seems to be genuinely liked and respected by the rest of the squad and recognised as someone who trains well and doesn't get stroppy at being left out of the match day squad. Then he gets his chance, scores two great goals in what is a goal-shy team and then hardly features again? It's not like we're a free-scoring side, banging in goals for fun. And both of his seemed to indicate he is a natural finisher who dares to have a go, given the opportunity. I hope it comes good for him this year - I like his attitude and his audacity when he gets on the pitch and he's got his confidence up.

It has to be tactical, even on the Burnley game you could hear the coaching staff constantly shouting at him quite a few times when he was on the pitch. More so than I noticed for anyone else in the game

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Believe it or not he is a striker :lol:

He is in no way a number 9 as he lacks height, strength and pace.

I’d say he is a Forward (inside) who is comfortable on the right of a front three. I think Hughton and Potter have struggled with him in any other positions but if Potter is name checking him, perhaps he has a new plan and Ali-J is training as one of our four Strikers with Connolly, Maupay and Gyökeres? As others have said - we do need bodies in this position.

In terms of being a natural finisher, there can’t be many better players in a squad that seems devoid of them.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It has to be tactical, even on the Burnley game you could hear the coaching staff constantly shouting at him quite a few times when he was on the pitch. More so than I noticed for anyone else in the game

Yes, I fully get that and you are most likely correct. And let's be clear here - I know NOTHING about tactics and football coaching. The last team I set up would have been my Subbuteo side when I was 10.

But I do feel that sometimes you just have to let a player do their thing - although I understand they want to play to a system and it's their jobs on the line if they don't get results. But you can imagine when that corner against Chelsea was headed back across the box the coaching staff would have been urging AJ to chest it down to Connolly, loitering on the edge of the D. I'm sure none of them would have been thinking, "Go on Ali - have a crack with an overhead kick from 20 yards."

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He is in no way a number 9 as he lacks height, strength and pace.

I’d say he is a Forward (inside) who is comfortable on the right of a front three. I think Hughton and Potter have struggled with him in any other positions but if Potter is name checking him, perhaps he has a new plan and Ali-J is training as one of our four Strikers with Connolly, Maupay and Gyökeres? As others have said - we do need bodies in this position.

In terms of being a natural finisher, there can’t be many better players in a squad that seems devoid of them.

Is it now the case that only a “number 9” can be a striker? Bit netbally. :lolol::lolol:
Agree with your comments about his finishing & BryNylon. Sometimes you need to let players play

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yes, I fully get that and you are most likely correct. And let's be clear here - I know NOTHING about tactics and football coaching. The last team I set up would have been my Subbuteo side when I was 10.

But I do feel that sometimes you just have to let a player do their thing - although I understand they want to play to a system and it's their jobs on the line if they don't get results. But you can imagine when that corner against Chelsea was headed back across the box the coaching staff would have been urging AJ to chest it down to Connolly, loitering on the edge of the D. I'm sure none of them would have been thinking, "Go on Ali - have a crack with an overhead kick from 20 yards."

Me too, I always used to play 4 -3 -3 at subbuteo.

won the World cup in 1986 with Northern Ireland, went 15 games undefeated!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Me too, I always used to play 4 -3 -3 at subbuteo.

won the World cup in 1986 with Northern Ireland, went 15 games undefeated!

I tended to favour Four-Four-One and a half. (One of my strikers got knelt on, so I only had the base).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Conjures up a rather bizarre image of lads shouting at their Subbuteo players from the sidelines!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've gone back and forth on Ali J since we signed him. One moment I'll think he's a player and could really add something and then the next I think he's out of his depth and repeat. I haven't got a clue what to think anymore!

I did briefly think along those lines, but have seen enough good bits to suggest he would come good if he had a run in the team in a favourable position.

scoired a few god goals, good crosses, a good amount of strength and agression when required ( owned Walker in the Cup semi ) and a good tremperment, passes the NDP test in spades.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I want Ali J to do well so badly ! And I do think he could, but is he going to get anywhere near enough game time to do it..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here