Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which is true as the:-

"Not very good at playing football" is still here, large as life.
As is GB's :lolol: :thumbsup: reply.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Which is true as the:-

"Not very good at playing football" is still here, large as life.
As is GB's :lolol: :thumbsup: reply.

:yawn:

Seriously, what is your point?

He played football very, very poorly for a year. People rightly commented that he played very poorly. Now he's finally played well for one game, and a 15 minute cameo, and people are rightly applauding that.

It isn't rocket science.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Come on guys, be honest most of us were writing off AJ earlier this season. No shame in that, he hadn’t delivered at all (regardless whose fault that is).

I do agree he wasn’t given a chance earlier in the season, but he did exactly what you’d like any good pro to do. Put his head down, didn’t throw his toys out, and worked hard to prove the gaffer and everyone else wrong.

If nothing else AJs character is utterly commendable.

We don’t want to get carried away but this does remind me of Salah flopping at Chelsea before becoming a world beater. Just saying.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Personally I think that Ali J will struggle to maintain a standard this high and hope that when he has a poor game the haters don’t leap straight back in with a flailing boot!
Well he's definitely not going to be scoring every game, he's not even a striker, so yes, his performances will drop a little. I'd also like to hope the haters don't leap back in, but what's the point, we know they will.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on guys, be honest most of us were writing off AJ earlier this season. No shame in that, he hadn’t delivered at all (regardless whose fault that is).

I do agree he wasn’t given a chance earlier in the season, but he did exactly what you’d like any good pro to do. Put his head down, didn’t throw his toys out, and worked hard to prove the gaffer and everyone else wrong.

If nothing else AJs character is utterly commendable.

We don’t want to get carried away but this does remind me of Salah flopping at Chelsea before becoming a world beater. Just saying.
:lol: the pedestal coming out!!

I'm as sure we'll be revisiting Ali's abilities as a Premier League footballer, before the end of the season.

I'll not be 'what about the overhead kick...', but if his first touch leaves him then we'll be going again.

But as I keep saying at least the starting point won't be arguing as to whether he's a laughing stock or not.
Which is what I believe to be the very minimum when Albion fans discuss Albion players.
Yet a prerequisite when talking about them up the road (oh and Harry Maguire)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Brighton's 'worst Prem signing 18/19' - FourFourTwo

Brighton's 'worst signing of the DECADE' - TalkSport

Brighton's 'flop of the decade' - Sport Bible

8th 'worst-value signing in Premier League' - Daily Express

4th 'worst signing in Prem' ("out of his depth") – TheTopFlight (who?!)

In 'worst signings' team of the year 18/19 (with Bernardo & Bissouma!!!) - Football365

"THE worst signing in the Prem" - some guy on Reddit

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

In 'worst signings' team of the year 18/19 (with Bernardo & Bissouma!!!) - Football365

Source for all....NSC [emoji106]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Thank God Football365 has never made any money out of me, twats. Bernardo was easily PL class last season.

Must be a rag.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

I specifically said he had no pace (for his position) or strength. Over and over again. You need one or the other playing in an attacking role in the EPL.

I just don’t think this is the case.

Where did you get this rule from? Do you think Potterball is based on pace and strength?

Take the player Ali-J has arguably usurped in Groß. Ali-J is certainly faster than him and I’ve never had Groß down as a strong man like Antonio or Traore. What makes him an effective Premier League attacking player (which his scoring and assisting stats in this season and in his first season confirm he is)?

These two players should not be judged on these sorts of attributes but by all means hold them to account on assists and goals which is what will win us games rather than certain specific qualities.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Notices this thread has reappeared.
Excitedly opens it.
Scrolls up anxiously looking for news he's on his way.
Ends up disappointed.

You utter ********.
:whistle:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'd hate to be the other half of some of the posters on this thread. Halfway through a perfectly cooked fillet (Probably some Vegan shit these days but anyway) , they'd remind you about the Pizza you'd burnt in 1998.

Let's face it, Ali Js name appears an hour before Bournemouth on the team sheet and we all rolled our eyes. We all hoped he'd play well but I dare say nobody expected him to.

A week can be a long time in football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd hate to be the other half of some of the posters on this thread. Halfway through a perfectly cooked fillet (Probably some Vegan shit these days but anyway) , they'd remind you about the Pizza you'd burnt in 1998.

Let's face it, Ali Js name appears an hour before Bournemouth on the team sheet and we all rolled our eyes. We all hoped he'd play well but I dare say nobody expected him to.

A week can be a long time in football.

Deffo.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I just don’t think this is the case.

Where did you get this rule from? Do you think Potterball is based on pace and strength?

Take the player Ali-J has arguably usurped in Groß. Ali-J is certainly faster than him and I’ve never had Groß down as a strong man like Antonio or Traore. What makes him an effective Premier League attacking player (which his scoring and assisting stats in this season and in his first season confirm he is)?

These two players should not be judged on these sorts of attributes but by all means hold them to account on assists and goals which is what will win us games rather than certain specific qualities.

People on here can't even agree on what position he plays! Mellotron thinks he's a right midfielder. That's Gross's weakest position (remember the Newcastle abortion?) specifically because of his pace and strength. Stat Bore, meanwhile, all but agreed that our one time record signing was, for most of this season, our fifth choice number 10. That and RM are totally different positions. From what we've seen he's probably an old fashioned inside right at best. Pace not so much needed there so long as you have Connolly or Maupay ahead of you. Strength? Absolutely. You have to turn players, at times hold it up, at times press high. He absolutely wasn't getting knocked off the ball yesterday in that position, hence my observation that he may have done some gym work, while Potter has worked on his positioning.

If the above is correct then we effectively have Gross, Trossard, March, Alzate, Propper and Jahanbakhsh who can all play in that role. The proposition of that is mouthwatering.

Potterball is also fluid which may well help him. He started out left briefly yesterday but was quickly swapped with Trossard.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
The underlying fact re Ali is that Hughton never fancied him over March in particular. Now we have a more attack-minded manager, he's given Ali a go, which he's taken with both hands. I'm one of many of us eating a good helping of humble pie, wishing him continued success in the stripes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
People on here can't even agree on what position he plays! Mellotron thinks he's a right midfielder. That's Gross's weakest position (remember the Newcastle abortion?) specifically because of his pace and strength. Stat Bore, meanwhile, all but agreed that our one time record signing was, for most of this season, our fifth choice number 10. That and RM are totally different positions. From what we've seen he's probably an old fashioned inside right at best. Pace not so much needed there so long as you have Connolly or Maupay ahead of you. Strength? Absolutely. You have to turn players, at times hold it up, at times press high. He absolutely wasn't getting knocked off the ball yesterday in that position, hence my observation that he may have done some gym work, while Potter has worked on his positioning.

If the above is correct then we effectively have Gross, Trossard, March, Alzate, Propper and Jahanbakhsh who can all play in that role. The proposition of that is mouthwatering.

Potterball is also fluid which may well help him. He started out left briefly yesterday but was quickly swapped with Trossard.

Odd as I've called him an inside right all day.
At no point have I ever called him a number 10, repeatedly stating his best position is coming inside from the traditional Groß position and not beating the full back to the by-line.

You mods are really struggling to remember what's been written on this thread today.
It's no wonder you have to be reminded of all the animosity going back over the last 12 months.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Odd as I've called him an inside right all day.
At no point have I ever called him a number 10, repeatedly stating his best position is coming inside from the traditional Groß position and not beating the full back to the by-line.

You mods are really struggling to remember what's been written on this thread today.
It's no wonder you have to be reminded of all the animosity going back over the last 12 months.

Yet your answer to why he wasn't playing was initially that he wasn't as good a Gross, before admitting he was probably fourth choice. We have four or five inside rights now?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The underlying fact re Ali is that Hughton never fancied him over March in particular. Now we have a more attack-minded manager, he's given Ali a go, which he's taken with both hands. I'm one of many of us eating a good helping of humble pie, wishing him continued success in the stripes.

Perhaps March was a better player than Jahanbakhsh last season. He played well, including nullifying the diving cheat in the derby 3-1 win.

Jahanbakhsh has clearly gone away and strengthened, for life in a physical league, and 4 months into his second season, Potter’s decided the time is right.

For those who weren’t spiteful against Jahanbakhsh, no humble pie is necessary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here