Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I didn't realise there had been quite that level of toy throwing from his pram. Jesus Christ, I take it all back. [emoji38]

I am actually rarely on here at weekends so I didnt read all that nonsense.

If it’s not an inappropriate question how old is Spence? It’s just he’s taken a lot of stick recently (some from me and perhaps deservedly) but if he’s only young I might feel bad for him.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I thought Bong was very, very unlucky on Saturday

When the final whistle went immediately after his only noticeable contribution, a shanked cross straight to keeper from a very decent position, meant that he looked for all the world on Match of the Day that his crossing was not of Premier League standard.

He also lost the ball when a player came from behind and just took it as he was doing the Gaetan Bong Move*.

*The Gaetan Bong Move
He moves slowly forward along the left side, get the ball since no one would ever bother marking him which makes him have sick amounts of space, he then takes three or four steps before he stops. He stands with the ball for two, three or four seconds - an eternity in the Premier League - considering his options until he always make the same decision; a poor cross to the keeper.

It is not a good player. He seems to have decent self-confidence though which is something Potter values. For all I know he might be a great guy in the dressing room. But as a player... not even near the level needed.

(I have a vague memory of Bong breaking new territory, trying some stepover in the Spurs game as well.. didnt work out)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He also lost the ball when a player came from behind and just took it as he was doing the Gaetan Bong Move*.

*The Gaetan Bong Move
He moves slowly forward along the left side, get the ball since no one would ever bother marking him which makes him have sick amounts of space, he then takes three or four steps before he stops. He stands with the ball for two, three or four seconds - an eternity in the Premier League - considering his options until he always make the same decision; a poor cross to the keeper.

It is not a good player. He seems to have decent self-confidence though which is something Potter values. For all I know he might be a great guy in the dressing room. But as a player... not even near the level needed.

Stopped reading when I got to that rather silly part of your reply

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Stopped reading when I got to that rather silly part of your reply

Fair. But he really seems like a no-trick pony trying to be a one trick pony. If he played a bit easier and tried less to be that "assist-competent-wing-back", I think he could be a half decent defender. But he got that same thing as Solly March (who is generally good though) also got, he takes too long on the ball, and unlike March he should try to be less creative and less decisive.

Also, specifically the part you highlighted - its very common for Premier League managers to instruct their players to give less skilled opponents the space to be "playmakers". Against Chelsea it felt very obvious they had done their scouting and gave their players instructions to let him have the space to throw away the ball.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Arguably, nothing he does is Premier League standard. The pathetic cross on saturday where he managed to fall over was completely in keeping with his standard during the Burnley and Newcastle games. I've nothing against him personally, he's just rubbish on the pitch and the quality of the team has massively overtaken him.

It's not really his fault to be fair, we signed him to replace the awful Joe Bennett after his loan ended, when we'd really struggled in the Championship the previous season. We needed better characters in the dressing room and better performances on the pitch. He was very good for us in the Championship, but he's a long way short of the Premier League and it's disappointing to see him in the squad - let alone on the pitch.

can't argue with much of that , surely Bernardo will usurp him once he's fit , he might be a great guy and a role model but he is not good enough for our current situation , his crossing is pants , he can't /won't shoot and he appears very reluctant to head the ball under any circumstances .....nothing personal , top end of championship possibly ....

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
There were rumors that Alireza was not called up to the most recent Iranian national team because of injury, but others insisted that like some other players that were dropped, the national team coach is only interested in players who are playing for their club. Seems like now the latter is supported (though these is no source on the tweet). Would be quite a big fall for Alireza: winning the golden boot in a league and playing the World Cup one year, and being a benchwarmer and not called up the next.

https://twitter.com/1980daddy/status/1181973268393287680

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There were rumors that Alireza was not called up to the most recent Iranian national team because of injury, but others insisted that like some other players that were dropped, the national team coach is only interested in players who are playing for their club. Seems like now the latter is supported (though these is no source on the tweet). Would be quite a big fall for Alireza: winning the golden boot in a league and playing the World Cup one year, and being a benchwarmer and not called up the next.

https://twitter.com/1980daddy/status/1181973268393287680
Sticking 14 past Cambodia would suggest the recently injured Ali wasn't needed to be risked.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Also, wind your neck in over [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] too. I've known him since he was 8 years old and whilst he and I have moved in different circles since we were about 10 years old, I'll tell you now he does know his football - I'd take his opinions on football over yours all day long. He's got two things wrong recently. Firstly, he was wrong about Maty Ryan being too short. Secondly, he's acted like a petulant schoolboy over Potter, simply because he threw his toys out of the pram after 7 games. That said, he has been right on here many, many times, and he does at least give reasons for his occasional negativity. You banging on about "spencisms" is f*cking tedious. It would be a dull board if we were all clapping seals talking like our players were world beaters when some of them blatantly aren't.

I have yet to see Spence offer a positive comment on ANYONE or anything Albion and show anything like "he knows his football". Infact I had him pegged as a Palarse troll. Whislt I am no clapping seal, continous and persistent slagging of off everyone is tedious in the extreme and his one month ban couldnt come soon enough IMHO.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Iran didn't miss Jahanbaksh in their qualifier today

Iran 14 - 0 Cambodia

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
At the end of the day [MENTION=435]

Also, wind your neck in over [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] too. I've known him since he was 8 years old and whilst he and I have moved in different circles since we were about 10 years old, I'll tell you now he does know his football - I'd take his opinions on football over yours all day long.

Ignore, GT49er pointed to your previous post

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have yet to see Spence offer a positive comment on ANYONE or anything Albion and show anything like "he knows his football". Infact I had him pegged as a Palarse troll. Whislt I am no clapping seal, continous and persistent slagging of off everyone is tedious in the extreme and his one month ban couldnt come soon enough IMHO.

I think it's pretty clear he knows absolutely sweet FA about football. Absolutely clear he knows sweet FA about football. Defend him all you want, you're talking to a brick wall. He's done all he can to convince people otherwise.

See post #6601.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So, big squad selection tomorrow with Trossard back and March fit. If AJ doesn’t make the squad, it’s going to tell us where Potter is on Jahanbakhsh, and whether he really does have any part to play at all.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So, big squad selection tomorrow with Trossard back and March fit. If AJ doesn’t make the squad, it’s going to tell us where Potter is on Jahanbakhsh, and whether he really does have any part to play at all.

Don't give up on him just yet. They haven't announced the staff roster for the pop up shop in Churchill Square yet.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Based on Potter's comments, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Trossard doesn't make the 18. Bench at best, I think.

I guess that would still be one more attacking spot that's not gone to a fully-fit (presumably) Ali J though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Based on Potter's comments, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Trossard doesn't make the 18. Bench at best, I think.

I guess that would still be one more attacking spot that's not gone to a fully-fit (presumably) Ali J though.

I agree, a fit and effective AJ in Potter's mind would presumably mean he doesn't need to bring Trossard back too early. If however, AJ doesn't make the bench, it would seem that he is simply not in Potter's plans at a stage in the season when he should be starting to know who his trusted players are.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I agree, a fit and effective AJ in Potter's mind would presumably mean he doesn't need to bring Trossard back too early. If however, AJ doesn't make the bench, it would seem that he is simply not in Potter's plans at a stage in the season when he should be starting to know who his trusted players are.
I guess we could wait just 29 hours until we start gleefully fighting him off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here