Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Ferguson - what a ***ker

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Sir Alex Ferguson has extended his self-imposed boycott of the BBC in protest at a documentary that turned the spotlight on links between the Manchester United manager and his football agent son Jason into a "lifetime ban".
The United manager, well known for his fiery temper, has been refusing to speak to BBC journalists since the beginning of the season, after the corporation broadcast a documentary earlier this year examining business dealings between the club and agents including son Jason.

He has now informed BBC Sport's head of football, Niall Sloane, that he will never talk to the corporation again, despite the increasing amount of airtime it devotes to the game.

The BBC now screens three editions of Match of the Day every weekend, since winning back the rights from ITV at the start of this season, and also features interviews with managers on its recently extended Final Score show on Saturday teatime.

Although Sir Alex is well known for taking umbrage against particular newspapers and broadcasters who he thinks have wronged him, Mr Sloane had hoped the row would have blown over by now.

But when he contacted the United manager to see if he would reconsider, he was informed that Sir Alex had now decided never to speak to the BBC again.

The BBC is understood to have written to the League Managers Association to ask them to intervene in the row, but the organisation replied that there was nothing it could do.

Sky Sports suffered similar treatment at the beginning of last season after a Sky Sports News reporter door-stepped Sir Alex during the summer at the height of speculation over David Beckham's transfer to Real Madrid.

He cut all ties with the broadcaster despite the billions that Sky has pumped into the game and the fact that Jason used to work for the company. On that occasion, he relented three weeks into the season.

The BBC3 documentary that so riled Sir Alex was first broadcast on May 27 and was repeated the following Friday on BBC1 amid much press interest around the time of the FA Cup Final, in which Manchester United faced Millwall.

It came at a sensitive time for the club as it was also considering 99 questions into its transfer dealings posed by John Magnier and JP MacManus, the Irish shareholders who fell out with Sir Alex in a row over the ownership of a horse.

In the documentary, reporter Alex Millar revealed that many of United's first team players had been signed up by his son's Elite agency and alleged that Sir Alex recommended that young players sign up with his son.

The day before the documentary was screened the club announced it was cutting all ties with Elite, following an in-house investigation of transfers in response to pressure from Mr Magnier and Mr McManus.

It has also since settled the row with its Irish shareholders, who own 28.9% of the club, but has been the continuing subject of fresh takeover speculation from Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner Malcolm Glazer.

Sir Alex has a reputation for letting off steam at reporters. As speculation increased over whether Beckham would leave United he let fly at a reporter from the club's official radio station Century FM over a seemingly innocuous question.

"You've been told not to f***ing ask that - right?," he told the reporter. "Cut that off, cut that off [pointing to tape recorder]. f***ing idiots, you all are. You do that again and you won't be coming back here. You f***ing sell your papers and radio shows on the back of this club," he ranted.

Several newspapers that reported the row, including the Sun, the Daily Mirror, the Daily Express and the Daily Star, were subsequently banned from several press conferences.

On another occasion he turned on reporters for questioning the form of then record signing Juan Sebastian Veron and, on another, refused to appear on Radio 5 Live after a bust up with Alan Green.

Sir Alex also remains the only manager in the Premiership to refuse to hold post-match press conferences, except when required to do so by Uefa following Champions League games

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Err... no but this takes his " wankerdom" to new heights or to a new low, depending on how to want to look at it.
How childish can he get? Huge enemy.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
sorry i dont see why. if you were defending your son you woudnt do the same?

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
caz99 said:
If he is just defending his son then would agree but I think he is trying to cover his own arse. The man is a ***ker of the highest order who has just made himself even worse

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
caz99 said:

No his son has got nothing to do with it. He is manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world. It's our democratic right to have a free press who'll ask the questions on our behalf. Once those in power and authority decide they're no longer going to do that, we're on the slippery slope.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good, he's never says anything worth listening to anyway, which is probably why I hadn't even noticed. I do miss Ranieri though, a man who never took himself too seriously although his replacement Mourinho is warming up to piss Ferguson and Wenger off big time. Bet Ferguson can't keep away all season once Mourinho slags him off :lol:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
caz99 said:

Fair comment, but it doesn't mean that if somebody is operating outside of the laws of the game, they shouldn't be investigated.

It just goes to show that even the most respected managers in the game or not above trying to gain out of their position for them or their families.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
FERGIE IS A SCUMMER - enough said

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Braders7 said:
FERGIE IS A SCUMMER - enough said

Gave us a good letter of support though-I can't stand the man or his club but he made the effort on our behalf.

Stumpy Tim

Bwian said:
Gave us a good letter of support though-I can't stand the man or his club but he made the effort on our behalf.

Exactly what I was going to say. We have freedom of speech, and we also have freedom not to speak. His decision, but at the end of the day he is a football man who took the time to support the Albion in its hour of need.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
all said he's still a complete twat

Last edited:

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
Gutted, I was so looking forward to his next great excuse for wasting millions and still not winning anything this year.

Boycott?! What a twat, believes far too much of his own hype. Ferguson We're not interested anyway you muppet!:angry: :D

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
When looking back, I reckon his amazing achievements will always be tainted by his shoddy sportsmanship and behaviour - a shame because I reckon he could have had one without the other.

Still, as the chaps above said, the letter he went out of his way to write on our behalf was certainly heartfelt and helpful at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here