Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Ferguson on England 2010: Luminary or gobshite?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There was a good interview with Alonso in The Times, in which he said that Rooney was ideally suited to the Premiership, does less well against GOOD teams in the Champions League, and then less well again at international tournaments as there is more brain and less brawn in terms of the opposition.

Feb 14, 2010
There was a good interview with Alonso in The Times, in which he said that Rooney was ideally suited to the Premiership, does less well against GOOD teams in the Champions League, and then less well again at international tournaments as there is more brain and less brawn in terms of the opposition.

Something in it, but then he was class as a kid in the Euro's. But yet it is much easier to score goals when you have the midfield of Man U behind you when you are playing against Wigan, instead of the english midfield who cant pass and move in the same way. Rooney should have been central midfield and we should have played through him with 2 wingers. It was the best we could do.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Two things I`ve learnt for sure in this World cup are that half fit players struggle at this level and the second thing is how little some of NSC football fans actually know about the beautiful game.

Actually I already knew that first one.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Possible, Rooney played well in Euro '04 when he didn't have much pressure on him. Strange how it only seems to affect him for England (last 2 tournaments) but not particularly for Man United.

What makes a great player is being able to handle the pressure. If he cannot handle the pressure then he is simply not a great player.

I'd agree with that. What I would add, slightly in Rooney's defence, is that in much of the mindless hype leading up to this tournament, Rooney has been thrust up there mainly by the English sports media with Messi and Ronaldo as the best in the world.

He simply isn't as good as those two currently, and that is not a great situation to be in, handed expectations that it is impossible to match. Messi could have matched his expectations (but as it turned out, didn't) and so could Ronaldo (but didn't). But Rooney was never going to prove he was better than Messi in this tournament, because he plainly isn't.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Martin Samuel wrote a good article abot the problem with Englih ootball being a lack of footballing intelligence:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1290667/MARTIN-SAMUEL-If-England-brain-dangerous.html

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's been a strange World Cup. The players who were supposed to shine (Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Kaka, Torres) didn't turn up and, for that reason, this tournament has been a footballing disappointment.

The lesson to be learned from this World Cup is that the TEAM is more important that the individual.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It's been a strange World Cup. The players who were supposed to shine (Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Kaka, Torres) didn't turn up and, for that reason, this tournament has been a footballing disappointment.

The lesson to be learned from this World Cup is that the TEAM is more important that the individual.

Surely no-one needs to LEARN that lesson do they ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Not sure I'd agree with Messi not turning up, thought he had a pretty good tournament. He didn't score but he created lots.

Certainly don't agree that it's been a footballing disappointment, after a cagey start there have been some cracking games and just the right level of shock results to keep the interest.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks

Messi was sensational (bar one game), Kaka and Torres were never really expected to fire because the first one has been in terrible form all season (he does have the most WC 2010 assists to his name though!) and the other is injured. Ronaldo was disappointing in a defensive side, but Rooney (who face it IS fit) was unable to control the ball let alone play well - for me, he is this WC's biggest disappointment.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
but Rooney (who face it IS fit) was unable to control the ball let alone play well - for me, he is this WC's biggest disappointment.

Agreed, 3rd division standard ball control throughout the tournament. He was not alone though, as most of the England team struggled to control it let alone pass to a team mate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here