Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

alcoholics/drug addicts

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's like anything in life isn't it: there can't be many people about who don't know the dangers, but some people are more susceptible than others.

People turn to drink or drugs for all sorts of reasons- doesn't make it right, but I honestly don't believe anyone genuinely makes a conscious decision when they're eighteen or whatever, that they're going to spend their lives being a complete f***-up, living in a filthy hovel and stealing DVDs from HMV to scrape out enough money to score. Someimes it's an escape mechanism for people. Yes, they know the consequences, but they don't always have the mental capability or logical thought process to realise it WILL happen to them.

It's like anything isn't it, like crime for example. Some people, because of their backgrounds or conditions, will always find it easier to turn to committing offences, similarly some people will always find an escape in whatever drug comes to hand. Once you pop, you can't stop...

I'm a reformed alcoholic. I've been off the booze now for just over 18 years. I have no time whatsoever for people who drink - in particular those who boast about it - while castigating others for using illegal drugs. It requires a particular kind of mindlessness to think that one is morally, intellectually, physically or in any other way 'better' than any other (and that applies to the idiots I have met who will sing the praises of coke, say, while saying alcohol is a terrible thing).

Mind-altering drugs, legal and illegal, are fun. They are also addictive. Some people can handle all of them; some people can handle some of them; some people can handle none of them. I have, in my time, taken quite a few substances which are illegal and highly addictive, but to which I never formed an addiction. Alcohol got me quick and got me young. Other people's bodies are built differently. I don't judge them, just as I don't judge alcoholics like me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm a reformed alcoholic. I've been off the booze now for just over 18 years. I have no time whatsoever for people who drink

So you dislike anyone that drinks alcohol ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ah the pleasures of the selective quotation!

Seriously it wasn't meant to be like that at all, just a general question about anyone that drinks or alcoholics.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I have no time whatsoever for people who drink - in particular those who boast about it - while castigating others for using illegal drugs.

Summed up by the indomitable Francis Begbie in 'Trainspotting'

"I wouldn't poison my body with that shite!" he says of heroin, whilst downing his glass of whiskey.

Seriously it wasn't meant to be like that at all, just a general question about anyone that drinks or alcoholics.

Eh?

I don't quite get what it is you're getting at. Did you misunderstand my post - or am I being stupid and completely failing to understand you?

I'm confused. Help me out here!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Eh?

I don't quite get what it is you're getting at. Did you misunderstand my post - or am I being stupid and completely failing to understand you?

I'm confused. Help me out here!

I am confused as well - you have said you have no time whatsoever for people that drink.

I am asking anyone that drinks alcohol you have no time for or just alcoholics ?

I am confused as well - you have said you have no time whatsoever for people that drink.

I am asking anyone that drinks alcohol you have no time for or just alcoholics ?

No, I said "I have no time whatsoever for people who drink - in particular those who boast about it - while castigating others for using illegal drugs." Remove the parenthesis if it helps: "I have no time whatsoever for people who drink while castigating others for using illegal drugs."

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
No, I said "I have no time whatsoever for people who drink - in particular those who boast about it - while castigating others for using illegal drugs." Remove the parenthesis if it helps: "I have no time whatsoever for people who drink while castigating others for using illegal drugs."

I think the concept of 'parenthesis' might somehow be lost on our Mr Hut!!!

:shootself

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
OK I think I am there - alcohol & drugs = bad combination

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here