Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums which were dismissed upon release, but time has turned them into classics.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I give you Paul's Boutique by The Beastie Boys.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't know if itll ever be seen as a classic, but Sam's Town is a very very good album that released in Hot Fuss's shadow.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Was about to suggest the Velvet Underground & Nico, so agree

The three orginal albums by NEU! and a number of albums by Can

The first five Black Sabbath albums, espcially Paranoid and Volume Four - far to noisy and heavy for jazz/prog oriented critics in the early 70's

I believe a lot of critics didn't "get" the Led Zeppelin albums on first release either

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I really like Queens first album which was largely ignored on release.

Unbelievable listening to it that the same band would knock out such nonsense like "The Invisible Man" years later.

[yt]bJGR7FjAbS4[/yt]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another one which comes to mind is Springsteen's Tunnel of Love.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't know if itll ever be seen as a classic, but Sam's Town is a very very good album that released in Hot Fuss's shadow.

It certainly does not get the credit it deserves.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The Invisible Man is brilliant and especially the video. anyone load it up? Stunning soloing from Brian.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Was about to suggest the Velvet Underground & Nico, so agree

The first five Black Sabbath albums, espcially Paranoid and Volume Four - far to noisy and heavy for jazz/prog oriented critics in the early 70's

I believe a lot of critics didn't "get" the Led Zeppelin albums on first release either

Good picks. I find it hard to believe tha Can weren't critically adored. They are almost perfect.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Manic_Street_Preachers-The_Holy_Bible_album_cover.jpg

Dismissed as the last throw of the dice by a band rapidly disintegrating, since been voted Best Album of all time by Newsnight viewers

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Five leaves left/Pink Moon Nick Drake

Not so sure about that: Five Leaves Left was well, if not rapturously, received but Pink Moon attracted some rave reviews. I remember listening to it on the strength of the reviews and being rather disappointed - I've grown to love it now. It's certainly true to say that all three ND were commercial disasters in his lifetime but they were a long way from being dismissed.

Not so sure about this either. Can were an archetypal critics' band - virtually all their albums got good reviews.

My choice would be Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica, which was dismissed as the ravings of a lunatic and is now seen as one of the greatest rock albums of all time

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
The Kinks - Village green preservation society.

Released in 1968 when flower power & all that hippy shit was at its peak. The most underated songwriter of all time was dismissed for singing about Village greens, sherlock holmes & draught beer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here