Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Album of the year

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Well, there is no Rounder this year but them bearded plaid types at Resident have released their top 10 albums of the year.

1.grimes - visions
2.first aid kit - the lion's roar
3.django django - django django
4.chromatics - kill for love
5.grizzly bear - shields
6.goat - world music
7.alabama shakes - boys & girls
8.sharon van etten - tramp
9.the xx - coexist
10.mark lanegan band - blues funeral

I've got 5 in that list (1,3,5,7,9) which are the odds and apart from Alabama Shakes I agree they're all worthy entries. Grimes and Django Django will certainly be near the top, if not the top, of my list. Anyway, I need some time to compile mine. Laters.

I first saw Alabama Shakes live they are wonderful and the singer has a good set of lungs on her; something special. I then bought the album and it did not come up to scratch sadly. Booo.

That's an exceedingly safe list, I suppose its more about selling the records rather than promoting challenging music. Goat aside, it's all so normal. Haven't touched mine yet (like to wait until the end of the year) however Liars, Dean Blunt & Inga Copeland, Dr John, Actress, Islet, Sun Araw & The Congos, Swans, Future of The Left, Lotus Plaza, Ty Segall & White Fence, Pop 1280, Four Tet, Carter Tutti Void & Mac Demarco will all be there or there abouts.

My favourite thing this year isn't even an album - Blanck Mass - White Math/Polymorph EP. His free show at The Green Door Store a couple of months ago blew my mind.

EDIT - And Godspeed. I'm not suprised I forgot it, not in my wildest dreams did I think I'd hear a new Godspeed album.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's an exceedingly safe list, I suppose its more about selling the records rather than promoting challenging music. Goat aside, it's all so normal. Haven't touched mine yet (like to wait until the end of the year) however Liars, Dean Blunt & Inga Copeland, Dr John, Actress, Islet, Sun Araw & The Congos, Swans, Future of The Left, Lotus Plaza, Ty Segall & White Fence, Pop 1280, Four Tet, Carter Tutti Void & Mac Demarco will all be there or there abouts.

My favourite thing this year isn't even an album - Blanck Mass - White Math/Polymorph EP. His free show at The Green Door Store a couple of months ago blew my mind.

EDIT - And Godspeed. I'm not suprised I forgot it, not in my wildest dreams did I think I'd hear a new Godspeed album.

Possibly. Had they listed a load of challenging long players as you allude to then they would have been accused of being up their arses or something. I am surprised Ty Segall has not been included though. I am a recent convert to his stuff and I'm enjoying it.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

I like your taste (and I was at Blanck Mass and got a hug off him!).

I've not compiled mine yet but it will have to include

Lotus Plaza
Daphni
Actress
Pye Corner Audio
Lower Dens (gig of the year at the hope)
Godspeed
Deerhoof
Teen
Dusted
Dirty Projectors
Mohn
Loops of your heart

Orwell

Apr 16, 2011
Burgess Hill
For me it goes...

1 The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten
2. Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg
3. Alt-J - An Awesome Wave / We Are Augustines - Rise Ye Sunken Ships

In that order

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
1. The Cribs - In the Belly of the Brazen Bull
2. The Heartbreaks - Funtimes
3. Michael Kiwanuka - Home Again
4. The Shins - Port of Morrow
5. Jake Bugg

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
For me it goes...

1 The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten
2. Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg
3. Alt-J - An Awesome Wave / We Are Augustines - Rise Ye Sunken Ships

In that order

Alt-J - An Awesome Wave, my runaway number 1. They were great at Reading too.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Ive tried all of these

For me it goes...

1 The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten - A CONTENDER
2. Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg - HMM PSEUDO-DYLAN
3. Alt-J - An Awesome Wave / We Are Augustines - Rise Ye Sunken Ships - CANT STAND THE SINGLE WIFEY LOVES IT

In that order

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Being old , I don't dip my toe in for new music anymore , so I have only bought one album this year .

Choice of Weopens -The Cult

Thouroughly recomend it !!!.

Shell out for deluxe edition with the 4 extra tracks only previously available by download. The track 'Embers' is haunting and not the usual Cult type of song. The rest is a homage to their back catalogue(to my ears anyway) , with Dreamtime esqe songs to pure rockers ala Electric and Sonic Temple and a little bit of Ceremony thrown in as well..

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

This list is not so safe and has some good stuff on it. Was compiled half way through 2012 so looking forward to the final 50 later this year.

The Quietus | Features | Quietus Albums Of The Year So Far 2012

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
The only bands I know off that list are Django Django who I know one song of (it was good, mind) and Mark Lanegan (though not his current band). Having said that I don't think I've bought any newly-released albums this year anyway, having only heard odd songs by people with not enough to gamble the money on a good listen.

And I've just found out that 'Default' by Atoms for Peace, a song I'd quite highly thought of although finding it a little Radiohead-esque, is in fact just Thom Yorke swallowing his own tail again :(

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I love the Alabama Shakes album. Had tickets to see them at The Concorde, but unbelieveably got the date wrong and turned up a day late. Enormously pissed off...

Slightly O/T but I feel your pain as I am constantly doing the same. Booked 2 tickets for the Sheff Wed game at the Amex this season as I thought I was in Sussex for that week visiting family. Got my dates mixed up because of International week as the game was actually the week after! Did a similar thing for a trip to London for the missus' birthday- booked 2 tickets to a show for, you guessed it, the wrong date.....:facepalm:

Edit: I'm in full agreement about Alabama Shakes btw, top band...

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Slightly O/T but I feel your pain as I am constantly doing the same. Booked 2 tickets for the Sheff Wed game at the Amex this season as I thought I was in Sussex for that week visiting family. Got my dates mixed up because of International week as the game was actually the week after! Did a similar thing for a trip to London for the missus' birthday- booked 2 tickets to a show for, you guessed it, the wrong date.....:facepalm:

Edit: I'm in full agreement about Alabama Shakes btw, top band...

I'm glad I'm not alone in my incompetence! Don't worry about the Wednesday game, you didn't miss much...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here