Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albions worst ever goalkeeper ?

The Wookiee said:
Kuipers on his Albion league debut against Southend at Roots Hall.

After that first half it appeared we had signed a keeper that could not kick a ball, he was so awful Adams subbed him at half time :shootself

That was funny. Apparantly after that they coached him to line the ball up so that the Mitre logo was central, then "kick through the i". Got himself into trouble when we used a Nike ball later that season.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
The worst NO 1 keeper I've seen by a million miles was Nicky Rust. He was dire.
The best, John Keeley, Mark Beeney, although when on form Perry Digweed was a class act.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
The Wookiee said:
Kuipers on his Albion league debut against Southend at Roots Hall.

After that first half it appeared we had signed a keeper that could not kick a ball, he was so awful Adams subbed him at half time :shootself

i really did think we had 'wheely bin' done after that performance at Southend :lolol:

wbin.jpg

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mr Burns said:
The worst NO 1 keeper I've seen by a million miles was Nicky Rust. He was dire.

Wa he ever really No1? I think mostly Ormerod was in ahead of him [and rightly so!]

Oct 25, 2003
Icy Gull said:
Nicky Rust after his injury when he was replaced by a Celtic reserve keeper on loan. Rust then turned into the worst keeper i have seen in 25 years of watching the Albion. Didn't he go and concede about 9 on his 1st outing for Barnet?

who was the celtic keeper?!

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
The Wookiee said:
i really did think we had 'wheely bin' done after that performance at Southend :lolol:

wbin.jpg

That was funny. I remember looking round only to see a wheely bin flying through the air and nearly clearing that gate behind the home fans.

Nicky Rust wasn't that bad. His constant clearances into the West Stand were pretty poor though!

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
God, Andy Petterson was the worts I have seen in my history of albion supporting, but then I never got to see Mark Walton. I just remember the 4th goal Andy petterson let in against Gillingham at home, when he tripped over and left the player to slot into the back of the net. :nono:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Walton wasn't much good and Rust had some blloomers too. I go back a fair way and for the life of me I could never understand why people thought Peter Grummit was any good, I seem to remember him as a clown.

We have had some blibingly named keepers though, what with Side bottom (a very good keeper), Mosley and of course Perry Digweed. Eroc Steele did make some stupid mistakes but also did some blinding stops. He was also a great entertainer and the crowd loved him.

Best keeper of all time ? Easy, Joe Corrigan no question, can remember him holding Liverpool on his own with at least six astonishing saves against them at The Goldstone when we went on win 2-0.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
bhaexpress said:
Walton wasn't much good and Rust had some blloomers too. I go back a fair way and for the life of me I could never understand why people thought Peter Grummit was any good, I seem to remember him as a clown.

We have had some blibingly named keepers though, what with Side bottom (a very good keeper), Mosley and of course Perry Digweed. Eroc Steele did make some stupid mistakes but also did some blinding stops. He was also a great entertainer and the crowd loved him.

Best keeper of all time ? Easy, Joe Corrigan no question, can remember him holding Liverpool on his own with at least six astonishing saves against them at The Goldstone when we went on win 2-0.

Funny how fans seem to see things so differently. I thought Grummit was a fantastic keeper. Joe Corrigan was in the twilight of his career and no better than average although he did have a couple of blinders, but was very slow in getting down and conceded quite a few that he would have saved with his eyes shut in his prime.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Icy Gull said:
Funny how fans seem to see things so differently. I thought Grummit was a fantastic keeper. Joe Corrigan was in the twilight of his career and no better than average although he did have a couple of blinders, but was very slow in getting down and conceded quite a few that he would have saved with his eyes shut in his prime.

He was at the end of his career yes but as keepers don't go off as early as outfield players (Peter Shilton for example) he was still brilliant.

Thinking about it Omerod never had a clue but at the same time he never had a cahnce either, too few games to say. Paterson was a joke I agree.

Commander said:
My Dad always said Eric Steele was the worst, although a lot of people seem to disagree with that.

I don't remembr saying that! He probably was the worst in a long line of Powney, Grummitt, Corrigan etc, we always had decent keepers.

But he wasn't as bad as Rust or Ormerod or walton IMHO.

Incidentally, a very nice guy when we went to a goalkeerpers training day at Roedean, of all places.

And the worst keeper I saw play against the Albion? Step forward Mr David James, roundly praised as the next up and coming goalkeeper in the press, played in a testimonial at the Goldstone. Crap doesn't begin to describe him that day (and quite a lot of other days later on!)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cadiz Seagull said:
I
And the worst keeper I saw play against the Albion? Step forward Mr David James, roundly praised as the next up and coming goalkeeper in the press, played in a testimonial at the Goldstone. Crap doesn't begin to describe him that day (and quite a lot of other days later on!)

He was the keeper at Watford that Raphael Meade dribbled round as James scrambled around at his feet, and then calmy slotted the only goal I ever saw him score for us. Rod Thomas then came on and terrorised us but we came away with the points :clap2:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can't believe we've got this far with no mention of Tony "Rat Tails" Meola. Didn't he concede a goal direct from a corner against Wolves ? Piss poor.

Meola was ACE. Despite is ample girth I remember a stunning diving save to his left in front of the North stand in sadly his only appearance for us.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Petterson wasn't that bad.

Stuart Jones?

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I saw Petterson away at Ipswich have a good game. Kept the score down and made some class saves.

Walton was not too bad, not a fan favourite but better than Ormerod and Rust at least. I think we actually paid 20k for him.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
are we talking about the same Nicky Rust.

I seem to recall he had a couple of really excellent seasons, making some superb saves ( at the Goldstone) and then he got injured and never really could reproduce the form.

Or maybe I am thinking of someone else

Tony Meola was not exactly Gordon banks was he?

Dies Irae said:

Tony Meola was not exactly Gordon banks was he?

No. He was definitely Tony Meola. And I could be wrong but I think Nicky Rust was Nicky Rust. Don't quote me on it though. Maybe Adrioninho could help unveil these mystery men?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here