Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albions worst ever goalkeeper ?

Kinky Gerbils said:
Bit unfair on Packham as he only played about 3 times

And only 1 start wasn't it? Felt sorry for him but lets be honest, he wasn't very good was he.

bobbyzam

Jul 5, 2006
London
Mark Walton had to be the worst, while you could argue the likes of Petterson were worse technically, Walton had the uncanny knack of convincing the managers he played under he was actually good. The only reason we finally managed to get rid of him was because he rejected the contract we offered him and opted to join Cardiff instead. The irony of it, one of the worst ever keepers to play for the club and he left us for bigger and better things.
Don't think he lasted very long at Cardiff. Can distinctly remember a fantastic clanger he dropped the following season, following a mix up with a defender he miskicked a back pass into his own net!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Worst I've seen (1989 onwards) was probably Walton, although I didn't think he was that bad. We seem to have always had decent goalkeepers.

My Dad always said Eric Steele was the worst, although a lot of people seem to disagree with that.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Packham must have had something as different managers kept signing him. He seemed to freeze on the big stage.

Walton was gash when Horton signed him, but Adams managed to get him to half competant.

Cartwright was one of the slowest keepers across him line I have ever seen.

Digweed, other than one season was not great, hence only playing 180 games in 10 years at the club.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nicky Rust after his injury when he was replaced by a Celtic reserve keeper on loan. Rust then turned into the worst keeper i have seen in 25 years of watching the Albion. Didn't he go and concede about 9 on his 1st outing for Barnet?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
bobbyzam said:
Mark Walton had to be the worst, while you could argue the likes of Petterson were worse technically, Walton had the uncanny knack of convincing the managers he played under he was actually good. The only reason we finally managed to get rid of him was because he rejected the contract we offered him and opted to join Cardiff instead. The irony of it, one of the worst ever keepers to play for the club and he left us for bigger and better things.
Don't think he lasted very long at Cardiff. Can distinctly remember a fantastic clanger he dropped the following season, following a mix up with a defender he miskicked a back pass into his own net!

He did also have a habit of making the odd random fantastic save. He was a strange keeper.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Icy Gull said:
Nicky Rust after his injury when he was replaced by a Celtic reserve keeper on loan. Rust then turned into the worst keeper i have seen in 25 years of watching the Albion. Didn't he go and concede about 9 on his 1st outing for Barnet?

I thought it was 7 and they signed him up the next day. :lol:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Kuipers on his Albion league debut against Southend at Roots Hall.

After that first half it appeared we had signed a keeper that could not kick a ball, he was so awful Adams subbed him at half time :shootself

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Commander said:

My Dad always said Eric Steele was the worst, although a lot of people seem to disagree with that.

really? My old man loved Eric Steele and reckons he was the best Albion keeper.

Never saw him so cant comment. Saw mosely and he was decent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here