Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albions strange but true.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Whats the weirdest or funniest incident you've witnessed on match day.
So many to choose from over the years but ones that stick out for me.
1- home and away games in the 80's " if she don't cum I'll tickle her bum with a stick of celery" song by the caveman crew with celery flying around the terrace. Which was strangely banned on health and safety reasons ( since copied by prem league fans)
2- head ballboy (Keith? Forget his name) heading the ball out in the west stand and getting sacked.
3- Doug Loft goal to equalise at loftus road vs Q.P.R. we were virtually relegated and awful that day. Loft came on, spooned a shot that deflected off about 2 defenders and trickled over the line. The only goal me and fellow Mates didn't celebrate, we all just fell about and laughed hysterically

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
This was a good one Sneaky Georgie Parris

D

Deleted User X18H

1- home and away games in the 80's " if she don't cum I'll tickle her bum with a stick of celery" song by the caveman crew with celery flying around the terrace. Which was strangely banned on health and safety reasons ( since copied by prem league fans)
2- head ballboy (Keith? Forget his name) heading the ball out in the west stand and getting sacked.
3- Doug Loft goal to equalise at loftus road vs Q.P.R. we were virtually relegated and awful that day. Loft came on, spooned a shot that deflected off about 2 defenders and trickled over the line. The only goal me and fellow Mates didn't celebrate, we all just fell about and laughed hysterically

2 Cuss against Man City no less

D

Deleted User X18H

When was that then? Haven't played QPR since about 2005.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The funniest was without doubt when Nigel "Bushfire" Erskine did his Klinsmann dive in front of the North Stand and his shorts fell down. I'll treasure that memeory 'til the day I die.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
At the Goldstone during a game the ball was hoofed northwards. A ballboy thinking the whistle had blown, run on and picked it up.

Also, Hans Kraay doing his Zebedee act at corners in front of the opponents keeper. I worked with Hans' wife in later years. He had good taste lol.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I remember an incident at Withdean when a player got injured. A team restarting play booted it out of play for a goal-kick. However, the goalkeeper didn't need to retrieve the ball as he had a spare one tucked underneath his shirt (presumably he'd put it under while the injured player had been getting treatment).

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Does anyone remember the game at Maine Road when a dog ran on the pitch? In the end they stopped play and some groundstaff chased the mutt back and forth to huge cheers from the crowd before they finally caught it.

Think it was in '82 but may be wrong.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
One that surely qualifies for an Albion strange but true?

I think it was around the late 80's/early 90's? Wasn't there a bloke who was travelling to away games on the supporters club coach, but instead of going to the game, he was going to various building societies in the towns, robbing them, then returning to Brighton on the coach!

I don't remember how many he actually robbed, but the Police finally noticed the pattern & he was nicked. If I remember correctly, he finally had his collar felt when Brighton were away at Notts County. I can't remember how many hold ups he committed? I think Stockport was another one?

Anyone remember his name or if he's still around? Chances are, he's been released now.

Personally, I think Liz Costa should have been charged with aiding and abetting plus harbouring a criminal. :rolleyes:

Seagull Stew

One that surely qualifies for an Albion strange but true?

I think it was around the late 80's/early 90's? Wasn't there a bloke who was travelling to away games on the supporters club coach, but instead of going to the game, he was going to various building societies in the towns, robbing them, then returning to Brighton on the coach!

I don't remember how many he actually robbed, but the Police finally noticed the pattern & he was nicked. If I remember correctly, he finally had his collar felt when Brighton were away at Notts County. I can't remember how many hold ups he committed? I think Stockport was another one?

Anyone remember his name or if he's still around? Chances are, he's been released now.

Personally, I think Liz Costa should have been charged with aiding and abetting plus harbouring a criminal. :rolleyes:

Can't remember his name, but I did get a photo of the guy climbing aboard the coach after one of the away games. Always wondered why he dressed like this!

burglarcostumefancy.jpg

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
A certain infamous director of the club being arrested in the late 80's for putting his foot through a store window after an away FA Cup loss somewhere up North, can't remember all the details, anyone else remember this?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Attilla standing on a wall at the back of the old Goldstone West Stand after the Hereford walkout circa 1997 and addressing the crowd with an enthusiastic recital that left many somewhat bemused.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
[/B]

When was that then? Haven't played QPR since about 2005.

18th March 2006, goal was created to a Marcus Bignot own goal. Doug Loft wasnt involved in the goal according to the official site, the defender header into his own goal under pressure from Joe Gatting but the result left us 7 points from safety with 7 games to play.

Doug Loft did score against Stoke on the final day of the season, maybe the OP is getting the two games mixed up, I know I've tried to forget most of that season.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Man city league cup game around 5 years ago. Beat them on penalties so que a pitch invasion, in middle of the pitch invasion is chap on motorised wheelchair being chased off by stewards. There is a video somewhere of it!

Many years ago at the Shay. The Halifax keeper took a goal kick, passing back to the right back who was closer to the goal line than he was (in those days keepers often passed to a defender who passed back as the keeper could then pick it up)

But the right back wasn´t concentrating and the ball went out for a corner. Not often you see a corner direct from a goal kick!

Not content with this piece of magic, said keeper and full back then faced up to each other about 5 yards to the side of the goal to "discuss" it.

The Albion left winger took a quick corner past the keeper and full back and Eddie Spearitt (I think) put it into the unguarded net.

You couldn't make it up (I didn't)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here