Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albions best manager

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Like to mention Archie Macaulay. His signing of Bobby Smith and that season in Division 4 was one of the most exciting I can remember. Probably have to give my vote to Alan Mullery though. The only manager to get us to the big time although it all went pear shaped after that.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Lots of managers that might have been good had they stayed,
the best manager the Albion have ever had is Alan Mullery discounting his second try the first was exciting and very successful.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
An everlasting memory of him was a midweek evening game, cant remember who the opponents were, but it was pouring hard with rain and he dived and headed a goal to a ball that was about 12 in off of the ground and the centre half, as they were then, attempted to clear the ball with his boot but Alex beat him to it with his head. Unfortunately his style of play would not be permitted by the nit picking refs now.

It might have been Reading BG as I just about recolect that. Friday evening I think ?

jkw

Oct 19, 2008
'Twas good to watch though eh? I saw AD shoulder charge the Bristol Rovers goalie into the back of the net at Eastville in 1970 (and then score twice) - really marvellous scenes.
Do you remember the battles between Dawson and Phil Parkes during the extended FA Cup replay saga with Walsall?
Gary Sprake says in his autobiography that Alex Dawson was absolutely terrifying to play against if you were a goalkeeper.

Don't foget the backheel against the Gibraltar XI, I think Freddie Goodwin was a good manager

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Don't foget the backheel against the Gibraltar XI, I think Freddie Goodwin was a good manager

I remember that game. We saw their coach coming along the front near the King Alfred and gave them a typical Brighton fans wave.

It was the first time we had seen the middle finger gesture when they 'waved' back and just looked at each other thinking 'what does that mean' ?

we were very young then

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Alex dawson, great centre forward of the old school. The diving header in the pouring rain was, indeed, against reading on his home debut and a Friday evening as pre-Xmas. the back-heel came against Walsall and his many battles with Phil Parkes. i have the pics in my old scrapbooks.

As for managers, well Freddie goodwin achieved such a lot but was only here a short time so often forgotten, which is why i chose him as my username.

I just caught the end of McCauley, following Goodwin was saward who, after a tricky start, built a tremendously entertaining team then dismantled it.

Peter Taylor I was perhaps the best at spotting talent building the base that Mullery would take on. Mullery was simply magic.

I found Bailey boring. sure his ultra defencive side did well but we were getting sussed and getting beat. going away it was always game over once the opposition had scored.

I liked Cattlins passion but the club was being run down and Lloyd was just the man to take it from bigtime to little league. Brady would be great if only he had some decent players. Read a game so well.

Case never stood a chance, Gritt did fantastic with a job from hell. i'm sure he was appointed to fail. Horton would have been good but walked away, shame.

Adams did fantastic but was always backed by a good No 2. Peter Taylor II inherited a good side but very suspect on team building, raiding the reserve teams of clubs in lower divisions and buying forgettable players. it's been a feature of his career that, when the going get's tough he's found wanting.

McGhee started well but fell out with too many players and, ultimatly the fans. Wilkins, could have progressed, astute tactically needed to be more ruthless and confident, less cautious.

So, i think my top 3 will be Mullery, P taylor I and Freddie Goodwin.

Great stuff as usual FG; I'll go with that top three of yours but would just like to add a few thoughts on the achievements of Archie Macaulay.
As the Oldman said previously, the signing of Bobby Smith from Spurs in 1965 was an extrordinary coupe and the subsequent season just unbelievable. Ffs we were in Division 4, the man had been playing centre forward for England in 1964 so, in celebrity terms, it's a bit like Gillingham getting Michael Owen for about £50K and agreeing to pay off his gambling debts (supposedly).
Mel Hopkins, who was a currrent Welsh International, soon followed him from Spurs; Macaulay also brought in both the Napiers and Sir Norman from Gateshead during his tenure.
Finally, I doubt anyone who saw him will forget a young left back who Archie got from Everton. Barry Rees only played 12 or so games for us before being killed in a car crash - a lovely lad, it was soooo sad.

Anyway, enough of this reminiscing, time for me to get to bed. I just hope it's not a comedy this evening.

Sorry to be pedantic but wasnt Barry Rees a left half as was in the old terms not a left back. Didnt Mel Hopkins play left back, we also had Joe Kinnear at right back but I think that was a little later.

Typo Brian - poor concentration on my part as it was late. I was also having trouble controlling my excitement about this evening.:D
Mel Hopkins was certainly a full-back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here