Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albions best manager

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If Mickey continue to struggle with the Albion, will it effect his position in the list of all time top Brighton managers ?
Alan Mullery went down in my estimation some what after his return, though to be fair the club was sliding somewhat at that stage.
Anyway for the record I rated Chris Cattlin and Pat Saward (unfairly treated both ) but my top dog is Peter Taylor the 2nd.
The most tactically astute manager we have ever had.
He inherited a fair squad but we had no right to win the 2nd championship really did we ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
but my top dog is Peter Taylor the 2nd.
The most tactically astute manager we have ever had.
He inherited a fair squad but we had no right to win the 2nd championship really did we ?

Now in charge of the team top of League 2, having shown Leon Knight the door. Tactically light years in front of Adams and a real shame DK didn't back him with the budget for the season after the 2nd Championship, which he had to increase anyway to lure Coppell here.

I have never considered Adams our best ever manager, too limited to be considered that, although nothing should be allowed take away what he did last time he was here.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Now in charge of the team top of League 2, having shown Leon Knight the door. Tactically light years in front of Adams and a real shame DK didn't back him with the budget for the season after the 2nd Championship, which he had to increase anyway to lure Coppell here.

I have never considered Adams our best ever manager, too limited to be considered that, although nothing should be allowed take away what he did last time he was here.

He will be judged on his entire career here though I suspect.
He does though have ample opportunity to turn this spell round and go down as one of our greatest.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

He will be judged on his entire career here though I suspect.
He does though have ample opportunity to turn this spell round and go down as one of our greatest.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester

I liked Taylor, didnt always play football that was good to watch but was highly affective and when he took over made a couple of minor tweaks to turn a league 2 championship winning side into a league 1 championship winning side. Gutted when he left, always thought there was more to it other than the budget if you look at some of the jobs hes taken since.
Think Coppell was the best tactical manager weve had in recent years. Done a brilliant job and would have stayed up if hed been brought in earlier.
Adams is a good man manager but tactically weak.....needs a good coach and number 2 with him....has he got one though??

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I liked Taylor, didnt always play football that was good to watch but was highly affective and when he took over made a couple of minor tweaks to turn a league 2 championship winning side into a league 1 championship winning side. Gutted when he left, always thought there was more to it other than the budget if you look at some of the jobs hes taken since.
Think Coppell was the best tactical manager weve had in recent years. Done a brilliant job and would have stayed up if hed been brought in earlier.
Adams is a good man manager but tactically weak.....needs a good coach and number 2 with him....has he got one though??

Makes you think that really all Adams had to was was tweak the side he inherited from Wilkins. Instead he has dismantled it into a team of indvidual headless chickens.

Well done midget monkey :thumbsup:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Tacticly our best manager was Brian Clough as he saw the writing on the wall and fooked off sharpish.:thumbsup:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think Taylor (the 2nd) Coppell and McGhee are among the three best Brighton managers of all time, certainly in my time (starting from the 1965/66 season).

To provoke a debate I'm tempted to say the best was Freddie Goodwin.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The record shows without doubt that Alan Mullery was our best, he is the only one to have taken us into the top tier of football in this country.

His 2nd period here should be wiped out of the records because he was only brought in because the Blooms wanted Barry Lloyd and they used AM to bring in BL from Worthing, who at the time was an inexperienced non league manager.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Mike Bailey must have been one of our best managers giving us our highest position in the top division of English football, but got sacked for not playing entertaining football!! I would settle for the Mike Bailey scenario today.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We could certainly do currently with a certain centre forward that Goodwin brought to the club. :whistle:
Would probably also go some way to reversing the decline in beer sales in the Brighton area.

An everlasting memory of him was a midweek evening game, cant remember who the opponents were, but it was pouring hard with rain and he dived and headed a goal to a ball that was about 12 in off of the ground and the centre half, as they were then, attempted to clear the ball with his boot but Alex beat him to it with his head. Unfortunately his style of play would not be permitted by the nit picking refs now.

An everlasting memory of him was a midweek evening game, cant remember who the opponents were, but it was pouring hard with rain and he dived and headed a goal to a ball that was about 12 in off of the ground and the centre half, as they were then, attempted to clear the ball with his boot but Alex beat him to it with his head. Unfortunately his style of play would not be permitted by the nit picking refs now.

'Twas good to watch though eh? I saw AD shoulder charge the Bristol Rovers goalie into the back of the net at Eastville in 1970 (and then score twice) - really marvellous scenes.
Do you remember the battles between Dawson and Phil Parkes during the extended FA Cup replay saga with Walsall?
Gary Sprake says in his autobiography that Alex Dawson was absolutely terrifying to play against if you were a goalkeeper.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What would we give to have a player with the heart and desire to win that he had for us tomorow night agaainst Leicester. Unfortuately the 'yougsters' do not know what they have missed. Or even going back further the likes of Peter Harburn another bruiser centre forward. Kit Napier oh those were the days!!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mike Bailey must have been one of our best managers giving us our highest position in the top division of English football, but got sacked for not playing entertaining football!! I would settle for the Mike Bailey scenario today.

Never got another league job after we sacked did he?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Kit Napier! Silky skills with a touch of iron.Bring him back.

Best manager (excluding Jimmy Melia who could dance AND manage at the same time) ?

My vote is Billy Lane whose paternalistic approach won us our first ever promotion. Marvelous.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I think Taylor (the 2nd) Coppell and McGhee are among the three best Brighton managers of all time, certainly in my time (starting from the 1965/66 season).

To provoke a debate I'm tempted to say the best was Freddie Goodwin.

I agree totally, they are the 3 I'd of picked. Only started watching in 1980 though so cannot give an opinion on Goodwin.

On a Micky Adams note, I still think he can do well for us, but I'm thinking now that my excitement about getting him back was more to do with getting shot of Wendy than actually having Adams back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here