Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albions best ever Goal keeper?

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
There are threads on best players (none of which are ever goalies) and on who we would like to get in now for GK but who was our best? Mark Beeney for me. (Although obviously love Kuipers too!)

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Nicky Rust was a good goalkeeper who played through a difficult time for the club in the mid-nineties but it has to be FDM.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Beeney or Steele for me with my favourite, Brian Powney, in third.
Never really rated Kuipers I'm afraid - good shot stopper but too quick to blame his defence for his mistakes

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Beeney or Keeley (although Eric Steele must be mentioned in dispatches. Interesting that I believe he punched Gary Williams whilst we were playing against Manure and now he is their goalkeeping coach).

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Nicky Rust was a good goalkeeper who played through a difficult time for the club in the mid-nineties but it has to be FDM.

He did indeed play through a difficult time for the club but he wouldn't get in the top 10 of best Albion goalkeepers of my time supporting the club (25 years).

1. Beeney 2. Keeley 3. Roberts

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Mark Beeney.

What are the facts behind him going to Leeds? Howard Wilkinson paid us the exact amount for him that we needed to stop from going bankrupt, due to his playing history with us?

(Awful tortured sentence to read I know...)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Joe, Joe, Corrigan...

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Mark Beeney or Ben Roberts for me. Roberts perhaps slightly edges it all round, as Beeney could be a bit iffy at taking crosses for me. I remember a pretty bad mistake he made against Millwall in a game where goals kept going i, though Beeney was probably the best shot stopper I've seen play for us. One on ones was Roberts' only weakness if I remember correctly (beaten by Gallen at QPR, Tyson at Wycombe and Fallon in the Play Off semi-final, which I thought he could have done better with). I can't remember him ever letting in a shot I thought he should have saved. Some posters used to criticise him for coming too far off his line. Bad blow when we lost him after the Play Off final.

I never forgot the time some pissed arsehole, about 18, with a bunch o lads, screaming at Rust after he'd dropped a bollock and cost us a goal "If I see you in a club tonight Rust you're fuckin dead" as much as I didn't like what he said, I was impressed (if that's the right word) that The Albion conceiding a goal meant that much to him, I wonder if he still goes?

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
You'll never beat John Keeley,
You'll never beat John Keeley,
You'll never beat John Keeley....

Worthy mentions to both Mark Beeney and Eric Steele.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Nicky Rust was very good, but I think he gradually lost a lot of confidence playing behind an increasingly poor defence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here