Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Yoof Highlights

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
has everyone seen these on seagulls world? our second goal against northampton is one of the smartest moves i've seen in albion colours.

it's easy to say from the highlights alone but the hold up play of some of those youngsters is fantastic and encouraging to watch. good luck to them all for the fourth round tie against everton.

:albion2:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This Barker lad sounds a bit special, didn't look bad when I saw him for the Reserves vs. Shoreham in pre season.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Barker has looked very promising every time I've seen him for the reserves. What's the deal regarding him? I've noticed he's been in recent first team squad lists (in match-day programme), got on the bench away to Wycombe, is now listed in the first team on the OS. Has he actually signed a pro contract?

Steve Brown seems to be doing a good job with the youth team anyway. Caskey & Barker, in particular, both look to be decent prospects.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Barker has looked very promising every time I've seen him for the reserves. What's the deal regarding him? I've noticed he's been in recent first team squad lists (in match-day programme), got on the bench away to Wycombe, is now listed in the first team on the OS. Has he actually signed a pro contract?

He's a second year scholar so he'll be offered a pro contract, all being well, in the summer.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Is Barker the young lad who wore the number 7 shirt? He looked pretty decent.
Oh, and that last goal was pretty special too :clap2:

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
The youth team were superb last night. The first half performance was exceptional, and the second half not far behind it. Play like that and who knows we could see another Premiership scalp at Withdean from the class of 2009/10.

Leon Redwood was number seven.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
The youth team were superb last night. The first half performance was exceptional, and the second half not far behind it. Play like that and who knows we could see another Premiership scalp at Withdean from the class of 2009/10.

Leon Redwood was number seven.

is leon signed up yet? he looks like a superb prospect from what i've seen of him. is he a local lad or from across the sussex border?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
They looked very good Barker (10) and Redwood (7) stood out from the highlights. Bodes well for the future.

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
They looked very good Barker (10) and Redwood (7) stood out from the highlights. Bodes well for the future.

does it actually bode well? i mean if these players are actully very decent then isn't it likely they'll just get scouted by much bigger clubs? i'm not sure how much faith i have in the youth system. does anyone know how ours compares to others in league one?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
does it actually bode well? i mean if these players are actully very decent then isn't it likely they'll just get scouted by much bigger clubs? i'm not sure how much faith i have in the youth system. does anyone know how ours compares to others in league one?

I'm not sure what league one clubs have proper youth academies but I would have thought out of those who don't, we are probably one of the stronger.

Whatever our current youth standard, I have every faith that creating a certified academy will be the clubs main priority post Falmer and given the club's catchment area I see no reason why we can't match or exceed Palace's or Southampton's level of coaching at youth level.

Reasonably exciting times I'd say.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Possession is 9/10ths of the law, at the moment they are ours and IF they are good enough to go to a bigger team we'll be due some compensation (a la Barry) which would be usefull for somthing....we can't really lose.

Lets hope they continue to improve,

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Currently they are effectively under contract, i.e. someone like Barker can't just turn up tomorrow and say "I'm off to Chelsea now, see ya!" Chelsea could of course buy him off us (like they did with Sinclair at Reading) but then they could buy any of our players. However I'm not sure what the situation will be in the summer when the Scholarships for the Second Year boys end. I'm not sure if that's treated like the end of a contract (i.e they can then sign for anybody) or whether we have first dibs on them and if they want to 'do a Gareth Barry' we get compensation. I'll have to ask.

I'm not sure what league one clubs have proper youth academies but I would have thought out of those who don't, we are probably one of the stronger.
Similar set-ups although by no means identical. When the current set of First Year scholars were at U15 level they played in a 'League' of only four teams, meaning they only had six competitive fixtures all season!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here