Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Vs Sheff Wed 1983 Semi-Final

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I was at both games and although I havent watched this footage I was visible right behind the goal (just my head - I was 10) in the Sunday Papers when Jims goal went in. I too would say Highbury was better than Cardiff. I had and still have a total disbelief that we were in and the won an FA Cup semi final, whereas I sort of expected us to go up in 04. Maybe being young and small added to that day as everything else seemed bigger and more crowded. Or just jaded by 04.

Whatever, if even I can remember that day it must have been fantastic.

nomad_seagull

Jul 27, 2004
Thanks for posting this - a great day and IMO much better than the day out in Cardiff.

Lots of memories from the cup run but one of the best concerned Neil Smillie at a league match between us winning the semi and going to the final.

Play had stopped for an injury or something - Smillie was near the chicken run waiting to take a free kick and during a lull in the noise a voice shouts out "Oii Neil got your cup final tickets yet?!!" Smillie turned gave the thumbs up with a huge smile on his face. Amost immediately another voice from the crowd pipes up "Oii Neil you SOLD your cup final tickets yet?"

Neil Smilley was not amused.....

Guess you had to be there

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
burrish gull said:
Yep the younger fans will never get to experience that kind of atmosphere again, its a real shame, you just had to be there I suppose.:nono:
If memory serves me correct, i believe i woke up the following morning with my worst ever hangover.:drink: :clap2: :drink: :clap2: :drink: :clap2: :drink:

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I was only 4 at the time.. did they have a goal of the tournament back then? I doubt it.. if they did I'm sure Jimmy would have won it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Jimmy Case goal looks much better on the video than in reality (live).

I was on the side bit with a very good view, but it looks better behind the ball.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Bakesy said:
If memory serves me correct, i believe i woke up the following morning with my worst ever hangover.:drink: :clap2: :drink: :clap2: :drink: :clap2: :drink:
i stumbled out the ark pub in newhaven at 2 oclock the following morning, only to remember that i lived in portsmouth :lolol: :drink:

I think Anfield 83 shades it for me, although Highbury was fantastic. I remember getting knocked over when that goal went in and getting hauled up off the floor by Peter Test Tube.

I think the feeling of watching The Albion walk out at Wembley in 83 has got to be the most knee trembley, hair stand upey, proud ,tear in my eye moment of my life. Still gives me goose bumps.

I don't feel sorry for the young uns, They're young, I'm passed it !

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
gripper stebson said:
WHAT A GOAL THAT WAS! Still makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand up...I was a very nervous 10 year old...

23 years - unbelievable.

That was my first proper trip to London. I was ten, too, poorly with undiagnosed diabetes, but standing behind that goal was an unforgettable experience!

Marvellous scenes :clap2:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
I'd forgotten about a couple of superb saves by Moseley in the 2nd half.:clap2: :clap2:
Marvellous scenes.:drink:

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
If the Case goal hadnt hit the net first it would have hit me in the face, as soon as he struck it it was in, an absolute screamer.

For me the 2-1 5th round win at Liverpool is still the ultimate Seagulls win. Liverpool were at their peak, Anfield was a fortress, much more daunting to away teams than Stamford Bridge is today. Dalgleish, Rush etc in their team. Incredible match, we were clinging to a 1-0 lead for ages. When they finally equalised everybody in the ground including me expected Liverpool to go on and win, but straight from the k.o. Case put in a screamer similar to the semi goal at the other end, in front of about 8,000 of us. We survived intense pressure including a penalty miss. Brilliant days, I was 16, loved every minute of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here