Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion v Palace Rivalry

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
This is one for the old farts amongst us (with affection of course!:smile:).
I have been asked many times how our rivalry started and in my view, it was the game at the Goldstone in Feb.1976 which we won 2-0.

1) Am I right in believing that Mike Bamber instructed all the Albion directors to wear Fedora hats as a piss-take against Malcolm Allison's (then Palace manager) attire?

2) Was this the first time that the Albion adopted the SEAGULLS chant in response to Palace's Eagles?

Please forgive me if this has all been explained before.

I have been asked many times how our rivalry started and in my view, it was the game at the Goldstone in Feb.1976 which we won 2-0.

1) Am I right in believing that Mike Bamber instructed all the Albion directors to wear Fedora hats as a piss-take against Malcolm Allison's (then Palace manager) attire?

2) Was this the first time that the Albion adopted the SEAGULLS chant in response to Palace's Eagles?

Please forgive me if this has all been explained before.

Started before 76,1973 friendly kick it off! seagulls started as piss take credited to lee phillips in a book but i always recall myself starting the chant,the mists of time and all that???

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Point 2 I'm sure is correct. We were originally 'The Dolphins' and responded to Palace's Eagles chant with 'Seagulls', which then led to us changing to 'The Seagulls'.
'Cos seagulls shit on eagles :D

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
"You 'aint worth this!"

images

Please forgive me if this has all been explained before.[/QUOTE

#
#:moo:It was a confusing time quite often the chants were mistaken that led people into dodgy situations,the rival firms would wear the liberated opposing colours so it was a bit difficult knowing who was who,even some albion scarves were similar blue white with the thin red bar.???

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Judging from some of the NSC threads on this in the past, it appears to have started in 1974/75 from our side when Palace were seen as the big time charlies coming down from the Second Division (perhaps the equivalent to Southampton finding themselves languishing in League One with us a few seasons ago - we wanted to get one over the former top flight team although they probably weren't as bothered as us).

1975/76 It moved up a notch when Palace and Brighton finished equal on points (with Albion having better goal difference) as Palace fans and hoolies recognised Brighton as a worthy rival (especially as we did the League double over them).

Of course, it exploded in 1976/77 when Albion and Palace were rivals for promotion and clashed three times in the FA Cup, with Mullery's famous contribution.

In my opinion, it probably would not have happened as quickly if Clough and Allison were still the rival managers as both seemed to get on well together.

Above is my second-hand reading of it. Corrections welcome!

Judging from some of the NSC threads on this in the past, it appears to have started in 1974/75 from our side when Palace were seen as the big time charlies coming down from the Second Division (perhaps the equivalent to Southampton finding themselves languishing in League One with us a few seasons ago - we wanted to get one over the former top flight team although they probably weren't as bothered as us).

1975/76 It moved up a notch when Palace and Brighton finished equal on points (with Albion having better goal difference) as Palace fans and hoolies recognised Brighton as a worthy rival.

Of course, it exploded in 1976/77 when Albion and Palace were rivals for promotion and clashed three times in the FA Cup, with Mullery's famous contribution.

In my opinion, it probably would not have happened as quickly if Clough and Allison were still the rival managers as both seemed to get on well together.

Above is my second-hand reading of it. Corrections welcome!

1973 friendly started the 70's troubles???

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here