Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Update

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The silence from Bloom is only a confirmation he is behind Barber. There's no need for him to stop playing poker on his phone in his Carribean beach hut if he's happy with the situation.

Yeah, I bet that TB wishes he had time to play poker and chill when he has all his businesses to run. The least of all his problems are the Albion where he has one of the most experienced football executives in the country running it for him.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The massive support that Tony Bloom has had from Albion supporters over the years is based not only on the fact that he's got the funds to have got us to where we are, but on the equally important fact that he is a FAN. Now is his chance to speak as a fan. All I'm saying is that a statement from him would go down well.

I'm not arguing that Barber is handling the situation incorrectly.

You really need reassurance from Tony Bloom? I think you are being extremely precious about this and more than a tad naive. Firstly, we all know it's not Tony's style. He's not the type of chairman to go shouting his mouth off publicly whenever he's asked for an opinion. Secondly, he has no need to. Barber is the Chief Exec, Bloom is the Chairman therefore it's Barber's remit to handle this completely and report to the board. I know football is a bit different than most big businesses with chairmen with big egos effectively being chief executive officer also but Bloom is happy to let Barber fulfil the role as the face of the Albion senior management team.

But just what else do you expect from Bloom? A trite statement giving his support. You and I both know that would be interpreted by most as unnecessary and by others as the kiss of death. It would make a tricky situation worse and undermine Barber's authority.

Now is precisely the time for Bloom to say nothing and leave it to Barber.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
It is sad that the only thing I took from it was a grammatical error

The club's internal processes involving Gus Poyet, Mauricio Taricco, and Charlie Oatway continue.

That's not a grammatical error, it's an Oxford comma.

oxford-comma.jpg

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
I still believe poogate was a set up. Used to fire up a team. the opposition team found it. You know the old saying whoever smelt it dealt it!!!

Last edited:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Think we all need to accept that nothing is going to happen for a while.

If this was going to be resolved pretty soon there would be no need for an interim statement.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
These things take time thats the way it is get used to it, do you blame Santa that we have to wait 364 days until the next christmas comes around? I would love this all to be done and dusted this afternoon as I am sure those involved would but its the nature of the beast that it takes time.
Dont worry about preseason either I will happily volunteer to stand in as manager for the trip to Spain :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
All very true as it affects most companies, where disciplinary procedures can be carried out at a leisurely pace while Roger from marketing fills in for suspended employees.

I'd venture to suggest, however, that football clubs are slightly different in a number of ways. This is a key time in the business year for clubs. The suspended employees hold positions of great responsibility. They also determine a key aspect of the company - how the entire reason for the existence of the company (ie the first team) performs. The customer base is keenly interested in what happens to these employees and the identiity of their possible replacements.

We're not talking about a bakery, a builder's merchant or even a multi-national credit card company. We're talking about something we have an emotional investment in.

This

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
But that's the point, isn't it? We're not the only target audience - there's the sponsors, investors (other than TB, ofc) and media to consider. One statement has to cover all constituencies - it's called compromise...

Exactly what I was going to write. And sure enough, as you point out, it gets picked up by the BBC...

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
All very true as it affects most companies, where disciplinary procedures can be carried out at a leisurely pace while Roger from marketing fills in for suspended employees.

I'd venture to suggest, however, that football clubs are slightly different in a number of ways. This is a key time in the business year for clubs. The suspended employees hold positions of great responsibility. They also determine a key aspect of the company - how the entire reason for the existence of the company (ie the first team) performs. The customer base is keenly interested in what happens to these employees and the identiity of their possible replacements.

We're not talking about a bakery, a builder's merchant or even a multi-national credit card company. We're talking about something we have an emotional investment in.
In the business year (the CEO's responsibility) true. In the football year, not at all. Players are on holiday, no games are being played, contracts run until the end of June. July is a key time, not the end of May.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
You really need reassurance from Tony Bloom? I think you are being extremely precious about this and more than a tad naive. Firstly, we all know it's not Tony's style. He's not the type of chairman to go shouting his mouth off publicly whenever he's asked for an opinion. Secondly, he has no need to. Barber is the Chief Exec, Bloom is the Chairman therefore it's Barber's remit to handle this completely and report to the board. I know football is a bit different than most big businesses with chairmen with big egos effectively being chief executive officer also but Bloom is happy to let Barber fulfil the role as the face of the Albion senior management team.

But just what else do you expect from Bloom? A trite statement giving his support. You and I both know that would be interpreted by most as unnecessary and by others as the kiss of death. It would make a tricky situation worse and undermine Barber's authority.

Now is precisely the time for Bloom to say nothing and leave it to Barber.

Agree with this 100% - Bloom trusts Barber and therefore so should we.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here