Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Team of the Noughties: Goalkeepers

Best Goalie

• Total voters

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I don't think the difference in quality between Kuipers and Roberts was as big as some make out.

It really was. Roberts would never have been playing for us if he hadn't been so injury-prone; he could have played for a lower-Premiership club were he fit enough.

On ability, it's Ben Roberts all the way.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Tough one between Roberts and FDM. Roberts looked class and could have gone on to be a legend. As it was injury ruined his career leaving only one goalkeeping legend at the Albion. FDM for me, then.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
This is the only poll that I doubt reflects overall fans opinion. There's probably quite a few people who have voted Kuipers that never got the chance to see Roberts play...

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
It really was. Roberts would never have been playing for us if he hadn't been so injury-prone; he could have played for a lower-Premiership club were he fit enough.

It would be good to access some of the threads on here when it was clear that Roberts career was in trouble. If memory serves me at that time we were far from sure that Kuipers would solve our problem... that in itself shows how much better Roberts was.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Bollox, a poor Bruce Grobbelar immitator who plays up simple saves to please the crowd but is shit poor at crosses and always blames the defence for his f*** ups.Give me Henderson or Sullivan any day.

Hendo, is that you?

:jester:

Jack Hackett

Jul 3, 2007
Ben Roberts. Class act, end of. Best save I've ever seen was the one at Bradford in the game we won 1-0 with a 'goal' by BZ that never crossed the line.

Jack Hackett

Jul 3, 2007
Ben Roberts, class act, end of. Best save I've ever seen was the one he made at Bradford, the game we won 1-0 with a 'goal' from BZ that didn't cross the line. Freezing cold day, goalmouth at our end was like a skating rink, their keeper kept trying to get the Ref to call it off in the second half.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Best keeper out of them lot is Roberts, however it is understandable that Kuipers will get most of the votes.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think one thing is VERY clear from this poll, and that's that the Kuipers/Henderson debate has been settled once and for all.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I think one thing is VERY clear from this poll, and that's that the Kuipers/Henderson debate has been settled once and for all.

I disagree, all it proves is that people have still not forgiven Wayne for not being Kuipers. There is no question in my eyes that Henderson was a better keeper than Kuipers when he was with us. Personally I can't believe that 90 people are taken in by Kuipers "Lets dive on the floor and roll around a bit when most other keepers would just pick the ball up" saves

Anyway this is an age old argument that will never be resolved so needs to be forgotten.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

I'm not convinced, he spent years at Middlesbrough and was out on loan at lower division clubs most of it. Did he have any injuries when he was there?
I would say Kuipers in his best seasons -the ones pre injuries, and 07/08 - he was every bit as good as Roberts in the playoff season.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Kuipers has made the most appearances and won the most silverware with us, so he is the best overall GK over the whole decade.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here