Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Team of the Noughties: Goalkeepers

Best Goalie

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Doubtless I'll make a complete pig's ear of this, but let's see if we can ascertain the Albion Team of the Noughties, position-by-position.

In each case, I've gone for players who have made most impact (not one-hit blunders), and as such are our best players, whether on loan or as our own. Assuming a 4-4-2, we'll see if we can find...

1x Goalie

1x Left Back
1x Right Back
2x Centre Backs

2x Wingers/wide players
2x Central Midfield players

2x Centre forwards

Some players might well appear on more than one list. Guess who will appear on the most. Apologies if I've missed anyone off - hopefully the mods can alter the choices if I have.

Here we go - goalies first...

Poll to follow

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
_42919363_benroberts203.jpg

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
İbrahim Tatlıses;3260032 said:
Kuipers.

Played in every season, pulled off literally world-class saves during most of them, an absolute professional, loves the club - a true Brighton legend of all time, let alone the noughties.

I'll 2nd that

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
FDM

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
İbrahim Tatlıses;3260032 said:
Kuipers.

Played in every season, pulled off literally world-class saves during most of them, an absolute professional, loves the club - a true Brighton legend of all time, let alone the noughties.

Bollox, a poor Bruce Grobbelar immitator who plays up simple saves to please the crowd but is shit poor at crosses and always blames the defence for his f*** ups.Give me Henderson or Sullivan any day.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
1. Kuipers - Has to be, for his performances, for his personality, for his longevity. He's been a constant throughout the decade, and mostly he's been brilliant. How can it not be him?

2. Roberts - Very good, but the fact it was only one season counts him out.
3. Beasant - His presence was important in our much improved form under Coppell, but it was only a cameo.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Kuipers has been a faithful servant and does deserve his legendary staus but if you give an average rating to every game and you knock out anyone who played less than twenty games Roberts wins by a country mile. We wouldnt even be talking about Kuipers if injury hadn't cruelly curtailed Ben's career.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Roberts was IMO the best goalkeeper we had over the last 10 years, BUT I voted for FDM 'cos he has played in every season, and rarely let us down, whilst on the odd occasion produced some fabulous saves.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
roberts by some distance - we'll be very very very very very lucky to have a keeper as good as him again at this level or even the next division up

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Roberts would still be our Top Keeper and at 34 in his prime if he had not been so severely injured, Thread is calling for our best players in all positions and Robers WAS our best keeper in the Noughties.
I don't think the difference in quality between Kuipers and Roberts was as big as some make out.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
I don't think the difference in quality between Kuipers and Roberts was as big as some make out.

It is simple.Roberts was a goalkeeper,Kuipers is an actor playing at it.with one eye permanately on the crowd looking for a simple save to over act to.A crowd pleaser of no particular goalkeeping merit.
Roberts by a country mile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here