Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion STILL losing money

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
A salary cap needs to be introduced in football. It will never happen though.

Been done here (overall cap is 85% of turnover); clubs will do anything and everything to get around it. Double contracts, hiring staff as part-timers and then hiring them as a barman for the club bar, going back to paying people cash or with any non-cash benefits they can think of (housing, cars, whatever)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Boro and Palace have effectively spent f*** ALL and are 2nd and 3rd so you CAN build an (exciting) promotion chasing side for peanuts. So there. Reading and Blackpool and Norwich also did it so I dont go in for all this have to spend shit loads.

Gonna say it but it IS all down to the manager.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Boro and Palace have effectively spent f*** ALL and are 2nd and 3rd so you CAN build an (exciting) promotion chasing side for peanuts. So there. Reading and Blackpool and Norwich also did it so I dont go in for all this have to spend shit loads.

Gonna say it but it IS all down to the manager.

The average wage bill in this division is £17 million. Boro's last two wage bills have been £31 and £29 million. (the Albion's last published wage bill was £7 million, although that was at Withdean).

Palace have done extremely well, and should be given credit for it , as much as it loathes me to say it, they are the exception rather than the rule though. The other teams at the top of this division are all big wage clubs. (Cardiff, Boro, Leicester, Hull etc).

IMO money is more important than the manager.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I would be VERY surprised if we don't have a new, reasonably big-name sponsor next season. Does anyone know how much our current deal with Brighton and Hove Jobs is worth?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The average wage bill in this division is £17 million. Boro's last two wage bills have been £31 and £29 million. (the Albion's last published wage bill was £7 million, although that was at Withdean).

Palace have done extremely well, and should be given credit for it , as much as it loathes me to say it, they are the exception rather than the rule though. The other teams at the top of this division are all big wage clubs. (Cardiff, Boro, Leicester, Hull etc).

IMO money is more important than the manager.

With CMS c10-17k a week alone (depending who you believe) and our plethora of midfielders I reckon we will b close to 15/20million. How much was reading norwich swansea and blackpool. Not much in the grand scheme of things.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
With CMS c10-17k a week alone (depending who you believe) and our plethora of midfielders I reckon we will b close to 15/20million. How much was reading norwich swansea and blackpool. Not much in the grand scheme of things.

So taking your lower guesstimate of 15 million; you're saying that our 36 man squad (of which 15 or so will be lucky to see much first team action this year), are on an average of over 8K per week? Sorry, but no.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All this is very worrying. With the lack of entertainment offered by Poyet's brand of "football", the only way gates and revenues are going is downwards!

What are you on about? The football is the best we've ever seen in terms of entertainment. Just lacking on the goals front a bit atm.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I guess the accounts must be due soon and then all will be revealed.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Norwich were good payers by Championship standards, Reading too as a combination of parachute payments and Majedski millions allowed them to keep a decent squad. Blackpool did well, but scraped through via the playoffs I think.

On average once every two/three years a club who is not paying out top dollar wages comes through, last year West Ham and Stains both paid out big money (Nolan on £50k a week, Jack Cork £23k a week etc), Reading were able to give Jason Roberts a deal signing him from a Premiership club, so whilst there is a lot of speculation involved, the relationship between money paid out on wages and success is a positive one.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Their promotion seasons:
Norwich - turnover £23.1 m (payroll costs alone £18.4m, incl £4.4m promotion bonuses)
Swansea - £11.7m (£17.4m including big promotion bonuses)
Blackpool - £9m (£13.6m but this included big promotion bonuses in the players/Holloway's packages)

Their turnovers' for the first PL season rose by >£50m more than this.

Albion are heading for a turnover of > £25m for 2011/12. Wages unknown.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

If the average wages bill is 17 million, and Poyet has said that we are 13th or 14th in terms of budget, then no way is our wage bill going to be 15-20 million.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Their promotion seasons:
Norwich - turnover £23.1 m (payroll costs alone £18.4m, incl £4.4m promotion bonuses)
Swansea - £11.7m (£17.4m including big promotion bonuses)
Blackpool - £9m (£13.6m but this included big promotion bonuses in the players/Holloway's packages)

Their turnovers' for the first PL season rose by >£50m more than this.

Albion are heading for a turnover of > £25m for 2011/12. Wages unknown.

Any idea what the promotion bonuses are? If you subtract these out then we will have an accurate cost of getting to the Prem.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Any idea what the promotion bonuses are? If you subtract these out then we will have an accurate cost of getting to the Prem.
I know for a fact you only get 50k for winning the Championship.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If the average wages bill is 17 million, and Poyet has said that we are 13th or 14th in terms of budget, then no way is our wage bill going to be 15-20 million.

No way? How did you come to this conclusion from the figures you have provided? I'm not saying it is 15-20 but the reason you provide does not discount it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know for a fact you only get 50k for winning the Championship.

I took the poster to mean the bonus' the club pays the players; which in effect is an advance of the Prem millions.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Does anyone know what the position is with the AITC ? Does all their money come from grants (apart from that they generate themselves) ? What happens to the payroll should the grants dry up ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No way? How did you come to this conclusion from the figures you have provided? I'm not saying it is 15-20 but the reason you provide does not discount it.

Average is 17 million so therefore at 13th or 14th we are going to be below that, or is that a bit simplistic?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

huh?

If the average of 24 teams is 17m, surely somewhere in the middle (i.e. 13th or 14th) would be close to the average, (i.e. 15-20m)?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here