Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Spending Post Gillingham

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
View attachment 187188
Total player sales come to £471 million.

This is so interesting. Is there any benefit to us "going for it" this window? After banking significant profits in the last two years and other clubs hamstrung by PSR? Or is it more down to a simple case of needing to rebuild the pipeline? Or a bit of both.

Genuinely interested, as PSR is calculated over a three-year term, right? Is it important we spend now as we'd effectively lose the benefit of the big profits made in 2023?

(Sorry if that's a stupid question)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
View attachment 187188
So in the last 5 years, even with the current open wallet, Albion still have £60m profit in transfer dealings

Since being upstairs, a loss of £87m (ave loss £10m per season). That's pretty good for a team in our situation.

Can't help thinking that Tony is upping the stakes this year.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
How did we reach 168m for 23-24? Caicedo + Sanchez is £140m, is there 20m+ of Mac allister bonus payments in there?
Trossard?

Edit, he would have been 22-23.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This is so interesting. Is there any benefit to us "going for it" this window? After banking significant profits in the last two years and other clubs hamstrung by PSR? Or is it more down to a simple case of needing to rebuild the pipeline? Or a bit of both.

Genuinely interested, as PSR is calculated over a three-year term, right? Is it important we spend now as we'd effectively lose the benefit of the big profits made in 2023?

Mr too. @El Presidente could you enlighten us. Is there a financial reason for going for spending big this season? Or is it just opportunistic?

Last edited:

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
I wonder what percentage of the £470m all time transfer receipts were from just 1 club? 40%? It must be some kind of PL/FL record though. Take it away stattos.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Just highlights what a job Mark McGhee did!

:bowdown:
Of all the things I've seen in my time at the club, the McGhee hatred from a chunk of the fanbase was one of the weirdest, it got poisonous near the end. Our unlikely success of a few years before meant some of our fanbase had absolutely wild expectations. It was as if they expected us to be a mid table Championship team despite being at Withdean with no money and having to sell the likes of Cullip, Currie and Virgo to stay in business. Very very strange looking back.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Of all the things I've seen in my time at the club, the McGhee hatred from a chunk of the fanbase was one of the weirdest, it got poisonous near the end. Our unlikely success of a few years before meant some of our fanbase had absolutely wild expectations. It was as if they expected us to be a mid table Championship team despite being at Withdean with no money and having to sell the likes of Cullip, Currie and Virgo to stay in business. Very very strange looking back.
No need for hatred to any Brighton manager, but if I was to rate all the ones we've had in my time, he would be one above Hyppia.

Less because of the results. It's that the quality of football was so bad it made my eyes hurt. A manager who's main tactic is hoof it to MacCammon, is always going to get less latitude when the results stop coming

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So we've spent £604 and received in £471 in this time, purely on player in and outs. I think we've made £30m on players and other staff too

Even then that leaves £100m, which has to be made up in club profits, well realistically Tony.

Plus we've built the Amex and the Training ground in that time, plus a fanzone is going up and the women team might be getting their own place to play

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So we've spent £604 and received in £471 in this time, purely on player in and outs. I think we've made £30m on players and other staff too

Even then that leaves £100m, which has to be made up in club profits, well realistically Tony.

Plus we've built the Amex and the Training ground in that time, plus a fanzone is going up and the women team might be getting their own place to play
There is other income, sponsorships, catering, merchandise, tickets, broadcast revenue. But we all know TB has dropped a bundle in to get us here, and is leaving it in to help get us there.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Caicedo 115m, Cockerella 65m, sanchez 25m - those 3 = 205m which is 43% of our all time transfer receipts. Cheers Todd.
Plus another 22m for a manager and staff that they binned off after 6 months.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
View attachment 187188
What that tells me is the graph well probably also be going on an upwards trajectory. So people better be ready for some high-profile (expensive) departures. Either that or quite a few Undav-type deals with the current lot.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Some £100m profit on transfers yes but also massive operational deficits not least during the Covid years.

There is other income, sponsorships, catering, merchandise, tickets, broadcast revenue. But we all know TB has dropped a bundle in to get us here, and is leaving it in to help get us there.
There's also other money outgoing. For instance, the players are getting paid.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yep, that was mad.

To me McGhee’s remarkable effort to get promotion and then stay up with that squad, and against the competition we had at the time, was as good as anything any manager has achieved with us since.

Jul 20, 2003
I find all of this utterly bizarre

53 yes.old

I didn't grow up in a football supporting family so missed out on most of the good stuff and by the time I was going regularly.we.we selling our best player to Wycombe Wanderers.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021

That £100m isnt a loss because it has paid for assets (players) that have value on the balance sheet. The value of those players far exceeds the gap in sales vs purchases so from the books perspective its all good. At some point obviously you will sell those players and I'd expect the club think that most will go for more than they cost. Tony wont be looking to cover any of it personally imo.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How did we reach 168m for 23-24? Caicedo + Sanchez is £140m, is there 20m+ of Mac allister bonus payments in there?
Potter & chums?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I wish I could find it, but I saw a post on Twitter earlier about why this might be, and it was around permitted squad costs or something coming into play next year, so perhaps it's us trying to get a squad together now that could leave us in a solid position when that happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here