Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Shame Lewes

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
What's it say (for those of us not registered)?

bhafc99 said:
What's it say (for those of us not registered)?
Albion Shame Lewes Comments In Wake Of National Award

By Tim Dudding

Albion today issued a scathing attack on Lewes District Council after they branded the club's work in the community as being 'too small for any meaningful use.'

Lewes also claimed Albion's community work was 'very minor... with only few, and even then limited, benefits accruing to the wider community'.

Lewes made the demeaning comments in their written submissions to Ruth Kelly as part of their objection to the proposed Community Stadium at Falmer.

The comments come in stark contrast to last night's Football League Awards, when the Seagulls were voted Community Club of the Year.

Albion chairman Dick Knight said, "It was no coincidence that eight years ago we named our vision for a new stadium for Brighton & Hove the Community Stadium. We knew then the importance of the Albion in our local community.

"To have received the national award of Football League Community Club of the Year is a fantastic achievement in our present circumstances. It exposes the blinkered and selfish opposition of Lewes District Council for what it is. They are denying the wider community, including the people they supposedly represent, the right to a stadium where we can truly fulfil the potential of this club as a power for good.

"I am proud of Steve Ford and his team, who have put the politicians of Lewes to shame."

Albion chief-executive Martin Perry added, "The award is a tremendous achievement and just shows that, contrary to Lewes District Council's opinion, the club delivers significant benefits to the community.

"This has been recognised by judges from a variety of walks of life, including people from outside football representing the media and international businesses.

"Our work has been acknowledged at a national level and it makes a mockery of Lewes's insulting and baseless comments."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I assume that someone will be bringing this discrepency in the truth to the attention of Ruth Kelly which shows up LDC for the vindictive lying nimby's that we all know they are.

Winning the award is made even better given that Lewes have chosen to put this lie in writing to Kelly.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lewes really are trying to punch below the belt

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
1-0 :goal:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
lets ratchet this up guys and make them sweat :flameboun

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
time to play hard ball

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy, Gubber. This isn't Top Gun or Naked Gun. We haven't got Chuck Norris about to come crashing in on this. We'll all do this in a decent, dignified, civil English manner.

The club will point out the error of Lewes District Council's misguided ways (that could take some time), and let Ruth Kelly know in the fullness of time. Then she will make her deliberations. Meanwhile...

...where's my 90mm high velocity Shit-o-Matic?

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think winning this award and the timing of it will not be lost on Ruth Kelly in the final reckoning.

If we can win this award working out of a few portakabins imagine what the club could achieve with proper facilities.

I believe the winning of this award should be a prominent part of all Falmer stadium publicity material for the next 12 months, because the message needs to be got across to the public, in particular the voters of Lewes, that this is a proper COMMUNITY club.

Well done all at the Albion.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Pavilionaire said:
I think winning this award and the timing of it will not be lost on Ruth Kelly in the final reckoning.

If we can win this award working out of a few portakabins imagine what the club could achieve with proper facilities.

I believe the winning of this award should be a prominent part of all Falmer stadium publicity material for the next 12 months, because the message needs to be got across to the public, in particular the voters of Lewes, that this is a proper COMMUNITY club.

You've hit the nail squarely and firmly on the head, Mr P.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Pavilionaire said:

Agreed. Well done to all involved!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Large One said:
Easy, Gubber. This isn't Top Gun or Naked Gun. We haven't got Chuck Norris about to come crashing in on this. We'll all do this in a decent, dignified, civil English manner.

The club will point out the error of Lewes District Council's misguided ways (that could take some time), and let Ruth Kelly know in the fullness of time. Then she will make her deliberations. Meanwhile...

I was thinking more Steven Seagal, Alan

...where's my 90mm high velocity Shit-o-Matic?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here