Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion player query for the over 30's

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Looking through some old programmes with a mate last night from 1982. Who the hell was Don Shanks ?

There's a tiny wikipedia piece on him that show he played for us and QPR, but I'm buggered if I can remember him. Only picture I can find is when he played at QPR.

SHANKS_Don_19771029_GH_R.jpg

Anyone?

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Came to us after his best days at QPR around 81/82 and was a regular in the side before we shipped him out to Wimbledon I think

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
He was something of a legend at QPR before heading down here. Similar time to when we got Sammy Nelson from Arsenal at the arse end of his career.

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
54 appearances between 81 and 83. "Don will also be remembered for his reputation as a playboy on the London gambling scene, and had a former Miss World, Mary Stavin, as his girlfriend." (Source: Albion A to Z - A Who's Who of BHAFC)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
54 appearances between 81 and 83. "Don will also be remembered for his reputation as a playboy on the London gambling scene, and had a former Miss World, Mary Stavin, as his girlfriend." (Source: Albion A to Z - A Who's Who of BHAFC)

what brighton player did not shag Mary Stavin ?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ex QPR right back, came down here for a couple of seasons at the end of his career. Wasn't that chuffed about the signing until I actually saw him playing at the Goldstone. When you saw him live (as opposed to on TV) you suddenl;y reaqlised how classy he was - one of the best RB's we ever had. His positional play and anticipation were exceptional - imagine drawing a line from the right hand goal post to the touch line where it met the centre line - that triangle suddenly became Shanks' space - if the ball went in there it was his; if an opposition player went in there to get the ball, they wouldn't - Shanks would be there first.
If only Whingy could do that!
He was shagging Mary Stavin too - lucky bastard (and no, I can confirm from personal experience that not everyone in Brighton shagged her!)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
He was shagging Mary Stavin too - lucky bastard (and no, I can confirm from personal experience that not everyone in Brighton shagged her!)[/QUOTE]

Shame on you ! alls you had to do was wear a pair of really tight brutus jeans and perm your hair! Its your own fault for not putting yourself out for the lovely lady

snf0808gx1_449157a.jpg

macky

Dec 28, 2004
was'nt he capped by england ?
might have been a under 23 though ?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Thanks people. I'm always a bit hazy about that era 82-86. I was living in Linolnshire so hardly went to any home games, and t'internet hadn't been invented back then so it was difficult to keep up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He was an ok full back for us. Unfortunately we signed him in a hurry and unseen as an agent described him only as Mary Stavin's boyfriend and we thought we were getting George Best. If only.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The one thing I remember about Don was his tie ups on his socks. Bloody weird thing to remenber I know but he seemed to have very prominent and multiple tie ups. Hope that is of help

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I seem to remember that mary Stavin dumped george best for him so he must have had, erm, something!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here