albion outfield players in goal

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
skintmanblues said:
i can remember ken beamish replacing brian powney
gary chivers ditto perry digweed
kevin bremner ditto digweed

Eddie Spearitt replaced Geoff sidebottom against Walsall I think in about 69/70.He had bashed his head but seemed ok then just collapsed again during play.I can remember the crowd screaming at the ref but play carried on for what seemed like minutes because the ball never went out of play. Different world in those days football was.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Giraffe said:
I think it was Chivers who went in goal. Same match that a fan came on and had a go at John Robinson, and Beeney stepped in?

Yeah i seem too recall this.

Was'nt it Digweed got injured in the warm up, So Chivers went in goal while Beeney got warmed up and then Crumplin had to go off to make way for Beeney???

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
sofa fella said:
Yeah i seem too recall this.

Was'nt it Digweed got injured in the warm up, So Chivers went in goal while Beeney got warmed up and then Crumplin had to go off to make way for Beeney???

I think that sounds right except I thought that Beeney had to have time finish his hot dog that he'd started in the stands. :lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Another sad development of the modern game: goalkeepers on the bench.

Gone is the excitement and comedy potential caused by having to stick some lumbering centre half in goal, now most clubs have a ready made replacement lined up, and simply substitute a (sulking) midfielder or striker to bring on said keeper.

Where's the fun in that?

Having said that, I can remember Gillingham having their keeper sent off after about 20 minutes at the Goldstone in the League Cup once. He fouled Paul Wood I think, and they stuck a 5'10" defender between the sticks.

Needless to say, the new man in goal proved unbeatable for the rest of the 90 minutes, as well as half an hour of extra time, and promptly saved Chris Hutchings' penalty to send the Kent caravan dwellers through in the shoot out :angry:

Mind you, when I say he proved unbeatable in normal time, this was, if I recall correctly, largely because we were so incompetent, we failed to have any shots of note during the entire period...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
edna krabappel said:
largely because we were so incompetent, we failed to have any shots of note during the entire period...

Same as this season then............

Jul 20, 2003
although he never went in goal for us, the not particularly great Denny Mundee was supposed to be an accomplished keeper. Saves running around I guess, but how you can play in goal with your hands in your pockets I'll never know

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
vulture said:
Can think back to a game at the goldstone v the monkey hangers in 1993 they had their keeper sent off in about the 3rd minute when Andy Kenndey done his diving swan act.Thier little full back went in goal and saved chappers penalty.Fozzie scored and then they scored with the last kick of the game to make it 1-1.Cue loads of anti Barry Lloyd chants.

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

that would have been me!

I was the Ernest's ARS of the LLoyd Era:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

BTW Chris Hutchins went in goal at home also, I think it was against Fulham or someone line that.....

Steve...Chris Hutchins played for us at the Goldstone...a ground we used to play at. Another piece of information to add to Steve's education

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Youre right about Andy Kennedy, away at Mansfield and we won 3-1, quite close to Xmas.

Also remember Steve Gatting going in goal against Forest in a league cup tie around about 1986.

Who remembers at Gillingham the Darlington keeper being sent off, and we didnt have a single shot against the right back who stood in goal. Dark dark days.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
I remember we played Grimsby away a few years ago ( the year we went up through the play- offs) we lost 2-1 and they had their keeper sent off right near the end. They didnt have a sub keeper (or had used all their subs, cant remember which) so one of their defenders went in goal. Still couldn't bloody score in the few minutes he was between the sticks.:angry:

Last edited:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I remember that...

also do you remember the Millwall game 1-0 up and lost 6-1

the millwall thugs were all sat in the main stand and abusing all the black players - Bennett etc, and Bennett's wife /Gf was sat next to me and left after 15 minutes in tears

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm seeing a pattern emerging here.

Stick an emergency keeper inbetween the sticks, and we have absolutely NO shots on goal and fail to score in all that time.

As opposed to when there's a normal goalkeeper between the sticks and we have absolu....

...oh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here