Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Man of the Match

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I suppose this applies to any sponsor of any match.

When the sponsors of a match award Man of the Match, why must they give it to one of the home side? If a player from the opposing side has basically run the show, played brilliantly (or even just 'played well'), what's wrong with giving the award to them?

Not really got my head around this one...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also, why do they HAVE to give it to a goalscorer (if any goals are scored)? Such a basic way of looking at the game.

I'm sorry but against Newcastle Adam El Abd WAS the MotM all day long.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I suppose this applies to any sponsor of any match.

When the sponsors of a match award Man of the Match, why must they give it to one of the home side? If a player from the opposing side has basically run the show, played brilliantly (or even just 'played well'), what's wrong with giving the award to them?

Not really got my head around this one...

It's just a punctuation problem shirley, other wise the title should be Man of the Match!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why do they announce it at 85 mins when we are getting moments of magic at 90 mins? Surely it can wait until the final whistle whilst the players are still on the pitch shaking hands with the opposition.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
More to the point why don't they actually try giving it to the 'man of the match'

If Nooney is on the pitch you know where it's going and as for Saturday....... Bridcutt ?? Were they not watching the game ? Greer was outstanding.

It doesn't really matter, and it's not as if they couldn't just go out and buy themselves a bottle of cheapo plonk and choose the vintage they prefer.

It's just to keep the sponsor's happy, like a thing they can feel a bit more important about.
A bit like getting your request read out over the tannoy, it's nice for them.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I've seen it given to an away player - but not at Brighton. It was at AFC Wimbledon about 10 years ago and the opponents' goalie played a blinder - he was rightly awarded the man of the match and was clapped off by both sets of players (sadly, can't remember the team or the goalie's name)

Why do they announce it at 85 mins when we are getting moments of magic at 90 mins? Surely it can wait until the final whistle whilst the players are still on the pitch shaking hands with the opposition.

This always strikes me as daft. What if Vicente had ripped Leicester apart in injury time, scored a great goal and made another two. Or if Buckley had scored four - all physically possible, there were about 10 more minutes between MotM being announced and the end of the game.

Also, why do they HAVE to give it to a goalscorer (if any goals are scored)? Such a basic way of looking at the game.

Another thing, if you feel that strongly about it, go and buy your choice of player a magnum - they might let you take a photo with them holding the bottle next to you, which would be well worthwhile. However the pressure would then be on you to choose a different player every match or else your album would be like...."here's me with Albion MOM Adam el-Abd. Here's another one...me and Adam el-Abd, Man of the Match. Oh, and this is one with Adam el-Abd and me, he was MoM for that game too" etc.

:lol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It doesn't really matter, and it's not as if they couldn't just go out and buy themselves a bottle of cheapo plonk and choose the one they prefer.

It's just to keep the sponsor's happy, like a thing they can feel a bit more important about.
A bit like getting your request read out over the tannoy, it's nice for them.

As well you know - being awarded Man of the Match isn't about the 'cheapo plonk'. It's about recognition of any given player's efforts.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
When I ran Marketing for the company that sponsored West Ham I used to have to go up a lot and do the entertaining thing. Problem is that most that get invited to the main sponsor do's know even less about football than the average NSC poster (unbelievable but true) and know absolutely none of the team, it's just a day out for most of them .. half of whom are wives/girlfriends .. most have never been to a game. So when the slips get passed out they vote for anyone who they might know or they ask someone else so if there are 50 votes 25 are pure guesses and the rest are probably the views of 3 or 4 people. In those days it was always bloody Lee Chapman 'cos the women loved him (before it was know he beat 'em up)

Funniest thing was when a bunch got together and (for a laugh) voted a tall centre back (Alvin Martin maybe) W Ham lost about 4-1, he scored an OG and was subbed with 15 to go ... hilarious his speech after the presentation made.

So it's always gonna be Bridcutt, CMS or Buckley because they are "known" or maybe JFC cos "he's a nice looking young lad"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They should have a little control panel with buttons in the back of EVERY seat in front of you, like Ask The Audience in Who Wants To Be A Millionnaire?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The reason the match sponsors will always choose an Albion Man of the Match is because most of the time they are invariably Albion fans, or have Albion fans amongst them, and therefore want their picture taken with an Albion player and not some no-mark from the opposition.

Anyway, in my experience, performance has nothing to do with it. I was part of an NSC-sponsored match at Withdean a few years ago, in the game where Paul Reid made his debut for us (v Peterborough I think). He had a distinctly average game and there were several better candidates, but when we were asked who our Man of the Match was, the GIRLIES in our group had already decided on Reid because apparently he was GAWJUS. They were all frothing at the gash to meet him after the game.

:rolleyes:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Bridcutt got it on Saturday!

And I doubt the away team hang around long enough to be 'presented' with the champagne. And I doubt most sponsors would want to give an away player the bottle of champagne, have the photos etc?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They should have a little control panel with buttons in the back of EVERY seat in front of you, like Ask The Audience in Who Wants To Be A Millionnaire?

About eight years ago, I emailed Martin Perry with the suggestion that Albion fans voted for MotM via mobile - I'd just interviewed a company that provided the voting software. The club could charge something like 60p a pop (30p for the software provider) and if 5,000 people voted, there'd be £1500 for the club every game. On top of that, the MotM would better reflect the actual game.

I didn't get a reply :( another bright idea bit the dust.

IIRC, the company also supplied software to a Finnish team where fans could vote for a player to be substituted and another come on - that would be really radical (can't see Gus going for that one though :) )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here