Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion lose 'legal right' to host matches at Withdean

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Easy 10 said:
I know some people. ;)

Is her name Mother Nature by any chance?

Albion lose legal right to play at Withdean
by Argus news team

Brighton and Hove Albion have lost their legal right to host matches at Withdean Stadium.

A High Court judge in London yesterday formally quashed the team's planning permission to stay at their temporary home and add nearly 2,000 new seats.

At a hearing lasting just seconds, Mr Justice Elias overturned the planning permission which ran until the end of this season.

The legal action was brought by Withdean resident John Catt, 80, whose home backs on to the stadium.

It means although the Seagulls will be allowed to carry on playing games at Withdean they now technically have no legal right to do so until they can obtain new planning permission.

Mr Catt said: "The team will no doubt continue to play at Withdean regardless and I will be monitoring the situation. I will be consulting my solicitor on my next move."

Brighton and Hove City Council admitted it acted unlawfully in granting the original applications because it did not carry out an assessment of the environmental impact and failed to give reasons for giving consent.

The mistake has left taxpayers with a legal bill approaching £10,000.

Mr Catt took advantage of a landmark High Court ruling which overturned planning permission to demolish a family home called Rushton in Withdean in November.

The club will now resubmit their original planning applications with a new clause to stay at Withdean for a further three years.

A council spokesman said: "We've changed our procedures to make sure that we address all of the issues that arose from the previous applications.

"We're expecting Brighton and Hove Albion to submit another application within the next two weeks. Local residents will be consulted and it is expected the plans will then go to committee for a decision within eight to ten weeks."

The planning committee reconsidered the Rushton development after the correct planning procedures went ahead and subsequently granted consent.

Albion want to increase the capacity of Withdean until they are given the go-ahead to build a new stadium.

The outcome of the reopened public inquiry into the Falmer stadium bid now looks almost certain to be pushed back until after the General Election as it emerged the hearing at Brighton Town Hall could stretch into April.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here