Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion kiss goodbye to £4,000

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Albion have written off almost £4,000 owed to them by Exeter for Adam Virgo to help the Conference club out of administration.

The cash-strapped Seagulls accepted instead half of the sum due for Virgo's wages following his loan spell with the West Countrymen two seasons ago, when they were relegated from the Football League.

Exeter were ordered to pay more than £82,000 to 15 creditor clubs. Albion were among the 13 clubs who agreed to waive 50 per cent of their money.

The Seagulls were owed £7,638 for Virgo's wages during his loan spell with the Grecians from November 2002 to February 2003.

Albion accepted £3,819 for the eight starts and one substitute appearance made by their current top scorer.

Chief executive Martin Perry said: "Exeter's offer was 50 per cent and we thought ëlet's help them get out of administration.'

"It was a long outstanding debt and we felt, like most of the other clubs, this was the best thing we could do.

"You cannot come out of administration until you have extinguished all football creditors' debts and it's a case of solidarity between clubs.

"There are times when we seek a reciprocal arrangement. It makes sound business sense in the long term."

Portsmouth were the biggest creditors. They accepted half of a debt in excess of £27,000.

Only Albion's Championship rivals Reading, who were owed over £8,000, and Cambridge United, who were owed less than £1,000, rejected Exeter's offer. They were both repaid in full.

Exeter director Julian Tagg said: "In the main clubs were very understanding of our predicament. It's nice to know we have friends in the game and some clubs have written off serious sums of money.

"Of course, some were easier than others and two proved impossible. I was surprised and disappointed with those two."

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Shows that the Albion have a streak of decency in them and proves what we always believed about Reading

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Cambridge I can understand but Reading? Still, what goes around comes around and Reading should be careful of burning their bridges.

As stupid as it seems, in a few years time, Madjeski could have taken his ball and gone home, Exeter may have found a multi millionaire backer and the situation may be reversed. Lets hope if it does the people at Exeter have long memories.

On the other hand, should Exeter really have been paying Virgo what amounts to nearly a grand a game?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Wilts posted a thread about this the other day.
There was a link to the Hob Nob thread 'Why did Exeter owe us money?'

I believe the Exter chairman posted on that thread.
I wonder how Exeter owed Rochdale £7 and that Rochdale were prepared to take £3.50

Original story

Bbc website Clubs help reduce Grecians debt

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
Timbo said:

On the other hand, should Exeter really have been paying Virgo what amounts to nearly a grand a game?

I suspect that his wages were possibly based on a weekly amount and as he was there from Nov 29th to April 4th that works out at under £500 a week.

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
Good Morning to you too.

I have to get up early to start the preparations for the full day safari to that Mecca we call Withdean - what's your excuse?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Typical Majdeski, he even stole their manager for his youth acadamy and despite his millions, could not find it in his soul to help others.

He and Cilla Black deserve each other!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
El Presidente said:
Shows that the Albion have a streak of decency in them and proves what we always believed about Reading

I think it's a common business practice. Credit card companies do it. The way they see it is they either push for the full amount, the debtor goes bankrupt and they get nothing, or they willingly accept half and write the rest off. A good gesture by the club but I doubt very much that it was a decision of the heart.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Rangdo said:
I think it's a common business practice. Credit card companies do it. The way they see it is they either push for the full amount, the debtor goes bankrupt and they get nothing, or they willingly accept half and write the rest off. A good gesture by the club but I doubt very much that it was a decision of the heart.

spot on - £3.8k or nothing!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
BUTTERBALL said:
It's a shame Reading got the full amount then!

I didn't say it was the right decision I just said it was a business decision. The point is that we could have asked for the full amount but if everyone did that there would have been a high possibility of the club folding and no one would get anything.
Reading could afford to risk it. Do they care if they lose 8K? I doubt it. However, 4K is vey handy for us.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The chairman of Exeter City sent me an email saying that they would do anything they could to promote fans utd day today and that their programme was carrying a story and that announcements would be made.

Decent bloke.

:clap: :clap:

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Richie Morris said:
The chairman of Exeter City sent me an email saying that they would do anything they could to promote fans utd day today and that their programme was carrying a story and that announcements would be made.

Decent bloke.

That is good news because I am heading to the Exeter game this afternoon, I have missed the last three games due to listening to the Albion on Seagulls World but I feel in the mood for a live game.

On the subject of the money. City managed to dislodge the seemingly dodgy previous owners at the end of the 2002-2003 season. Officially Treharne is the chairman now but it is Ian Huxham who has the higher profile coming onto the pitch at half time etc. Despite the change of owners Exeter are still in major financial difficulty and much like our own ‘Alive and Kicking’, they have the ‘Red or Dead’ appeal to try encourage the fans to give money. It is a shame that the Albion have missed out on the money, even if it is a nice gesture to Exeter.

It is also frustrating that Reading who can afford to lose money more than we can, decided to squeeze Exeter for the full amount (Especially after only recently taking hugely popular manager Eamo Dolan to become their youth development manager!).

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Lord Bracknell said:
Apart from the money, don't forget what Albion got out of the deal with Exeter. An Adam Virgo with first team match experience.

Seems pretty good to me.

Virgo was being completely frozen out by Coppell at the Albion so the loan move did benefit us. Maybe he learnt his current striking role from Steve Flack!

It was just a shame that he was brought in under the clueless Neil McNab, who didn’t seem to have any idea about formations or playing players in their correct positions. If only he had been sacked sooner, Virgo may have benefited even more from playing under Gary Peters, who succeeded McNab as boss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here