Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Albion in Pride clash'

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thanks - but I wasn't actually bothered !
Its ALL about the first League game, and I for one will be disappointed if we're not at home that day. Evem MORE so if we're at home in the Cup that midweek.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
But friendlies dont really count do they.

Who says oh yes I was at Forest for the first game at Withers.

NO they say MANSFIELD.

I definitely do, as I was at the Forest game but not the Mansfield game. Anyway, you two can't have it both ways. Either the League Cup match is noddy or it's imporant and therefore perfectly suitable for the first game at the Amex.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I definitely do, as I was at the Forest game but not the Mansfield game. Anyway, you two can't have it both ways. Either the League Cup match is noddy or it's imporant and therefore perfectly suitable for the first game at the Amex.

Yes you can. Pride can be MOVED to another date.

League cup games do not generally get a full capacity. It might but I doubt it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes you can. Pride can be MOVED to another date.

League cup games do not generally get a full capacity. It might but I doubt it.

Agree. No way would a midweek League Cup 1st round tie play to full capacity, even if it was the very first game. I wouldn't expect every STH to get a ticket to that.

I have in my minds eye a sunny August afternoon, first day of the new season, starting it in our new stadium. It will be BITTERLY disappointing if its postponed another week AND noused up by a shitty Tuesday League Cup tie in between.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
First competitive game MUST be 6th Aug 2011.
No ifs or buts.
It is non-negotiable.

It's my 50th b/day.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
But if we're away on the opening day, we could end up with the very first game at the Amex being a midweek League Cup 1st round tie.

*underwhelmed*
Isn't the attraction of the first game at the new ground that it will be the first game at the new ground?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Isn't the attraction of the first game at the new ground that it will be the first game at the new ground?

No. I refer the gentleman to the Notts Forest/Mansfield comment.

For real EXCITEMENT/PASSION etc its got to be THREE points at stake.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

See my post above.
That means we take priority over everything else.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Of course.
But honestly, wouldn't you rather a glorious August afternoon on the opening day of the season (which is always BRILLO anyway, but will go into SPASMOTIC OVERDRIVE BRILLO at the Amex) to kick off our PROMOTION charge, rather than the following Tuesday evening in the Humdrum Lager Cup first round ?

Its a no brainer Shirley.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
No. I refer the gentleman to the Notts Forest/Mansfield comment.

For real EXCITEMENT/PASSION etc its got to be THREE points at stake.
Forest was a friendly, not a competitive match though.
I'd rather our first game there be a league game, and the first game, but to say there'd be less interest if it's a cup game is nonsense imo. If we couldn't sell that out we won't sell anything out. Though being an evening game the travel situation might be... interesting.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Though being an evening game the travel situation might be... interesting.

It would be questionable whether we would be allowed to stage the first full capacity game in midweek because of potential issues like this. The game could also go to extra time and penalties. I'd imagine that the powers that be would prefer to have to deal with any problems that arise in daylight.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The League Cup scenario is precisely the reason why the Albion have asked for a home League game first up.

A game is a game is a game, but in terms of making it a big occasion, and being able to show off to sponsors and the rest of football, a Tuesday evening kick off against Stevenage is somewhat unattractive, whereas with the Saturday, they can milk it for all it's worth.

Of course they may get drawn away at Rochdale, making the whole argument irrelevant, but they won't be able to make that request if they leave it too late, hence it went in to the FL ages ago.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
This comment on the story actually made me laugh

'Being gay should be an indoor sport
why the need to flaunt it in public.'

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
If they are happy to move then thats great, but if there are people who have issues with us taking priority they can f*** off, quite frankly. I know football isn't such a 'cool' thing to like in our city, but there should literally be no argument with them moving, not us.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Now there is a comment from AngieRS. I assume that is Angela Rowland that used to plague the Argus with letters about Brighton and the stadium. A transexual 'lesbian' with a grudge against the football club.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
What a dog

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here