Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion : Getting it right off the pitch ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You are upsetting yourself over nothing - these particular awards are not for your (general public) consumption. These are industry awards, voted for amongst peers, and recognising excellence within their industry. EVERY industry has them.

The particular nature of the nominations recieved, look real feathers in the caps of Tom Gorringe and Paul Beirne. Fair play to them. You might not appreciate the need for people in these roles, but just accept that if we do need them, we might as well strive to have the BEST people we can get, in the roles.

As an aside, in case anyone worries about 'faceless marketing bullshit', etc, its worth noting that before launching his football marketing career with Portsmouth and then Cardiff, Tom Gorringe was a season ticket holder at Withdean.

Not for the first time you've managed to get three paragraphs of patronising head patting out of stuff you thought I said.

I don't like these sorts of awards in other industries either. From The Brits in music to the annual marketing awards for the society of plumbers or whatever they're an excuse for a bit of fawning and backslapping. It might as well be our backs being slapped though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not for the first time you've managed to get three paragraphs of patronising head patting out of stuff you thought I said.

I don't like these sorts of awards in other industries either. From The Brits in music to the annual marketing awards for the society of plumbers or whatever they're an excuse for a bit of fawning and backslapping. It might as well be our backs being slapped though.

Sorry if you took it like that - I've no interest in turning a positive thread into an argument.

Just surprised that anyone's 'heart would sink' upon hearing that the club's employees were being recognised as being excellent at their jobs.

I see you just meant that you don't care for industry awards in general, so that's fair enough.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry if you took it like that - I've no interest in turning a positive thread into an argument.

Just surprised that anyone's 'heart would sink' upon hearing that the club's employees were being recognised as being excellent at their jobs.

I see you just meant that you don't care for industry awards in general, so that's fair enough.

Yes that's exactly what I meant.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Albion have outdone nearly all the Premier League clubs and the rest of the Football League in being nominated for 4 Football Business Awards.

- Best Fan Engagement
- Best Marketing
- Best Match Day Experience
- Best Community Scheme.

http://www.footballbusinessawards.com/finalists.html

I know i get a rep on here for being *slightly* over positive about the club but i think the efforts it puts into initiatives OFF the pitch are v.impressive The last couple of weeks illustrate that. But day by day and especially the charity; Albion in the Community , some of the ways it supports first time fans, young fans, and schools are , imo, some of the best in the country. So this is well deserved.

Thoughts ? Does any of this matter ? Is "Fan engagement" a load of marketing b***cks ?

My experience of the AITC is that they are great, and really well intentioned, but they also need to remember that when engaging the community and especially hosting young kids for fun events, that it shouldn't be about scouting on behalf of the club. Of course, they may spot some talent, but for U11's and below especially, lets not sum up a fun event as to who might get a call because one of the clubs scouts has been watching. Kids just want to be told they all did really well and that it was a great event, it isn't about who is the best, it is about developing all their talents.

School wise, their sessions at local schools are excellent. Very professional, but also great fun for all abilities, they just need to carry this through to the events they've started to host regularly at Lancing on the community pitch too.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
This Tom Gorringe seems very enthusiastic and proactive in his role and it seems to have been noted...

We can congratulate Paul Barber for appointing someone of energy and drive who seems to understand how a provincial sports club relates to its community. Paul Beirne's CV is very different but his background suggests he understands it too. Let's hope that their influence spreads upwards and they, and others in the club of like mind, are given the support they need.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Indeed, and we're top of the league at present.

In the second tier of English football. I think its great we win all these awards but the real proof to me we are going forward is, being in the Premier league.
Am I also correct in thinking that the man in charge who is behind getting these awards is also one of the top paid CEO's in football?

So congratulations to him for earning his high paid salary.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Indeed, and we're top of the league at present.

Indeed. And compare to last season's lowly league table position and resultant fan discontent to see what really matters at a football club...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Indeed. And compare to last season's lowly league table position and resultant fan discontent to see what really matters at a football club...

We were all frustrated with the performances, but surely the only real discontent was amongst people new to football? All teams will have seasons like that and you just have to grin and bear it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Great work by the club but, undoubtedly, on-the-pitch is the key matter.

Indeed. It is after all what will get season ticket sales.

I say again Mcghee said "Withdean wasnt the problem" which basically meant wages.

So I applaud the club, I really do but this is all window dressing compared to what happens ON THE PITCH.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We were all frustrated with the performances, but surely the only real discontent was amongst people new to football? All teams will have seasons like that and you just have to grin and bear it.

Not sure about that Notters old chap (long time no speak anyway! How is the mobile?) personally I was mightily pissed off after Tonys statement about A judge at end of transfer window or season or whatever it was and B a top six squad. PLUS we are no longer titting about at Withdean where 4th from bottom was open top bus stuff.

At least this season Barbs has done the right thing and said "competitive"

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Albion have outdone nearly all the Premier League clubs and the rest of the Football League in being nominated for 4 Football Business Awards.

- Best Fan Engagement
- Best Marketing
- Best Community Scheme.

I know i get a rep on here for being *slightly* over positive about the club but i think the efforts it puts into initiatives OFF the pitch are v.impressive The last couple of weeks illustrate that. But day by day and especially the charity; Albion in the Community , some of the ways it supports first time fans, young fans, and schools are , imo, some of the best in the country. So this is well deserved.

Thoughts ? Does any of this matter ? Is "Fan engagement" a load of marketing b***cks ?

For me personally, I think it is all enormously important. I realise yours is specifically about nomination for awards. I am particularly proud of the "In the Community" stuff, and I guess the way the club reacted and acted in every way around the Shoreham Air Crash is a kind of extension of that.

And I think our match-day magazine - or programme, as they used to be called - is excellent.

I was proud to be a Brighton fan last year, when we were wallowing in the depths of despair.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Naïve. See declining attendances for proof.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not sure about that Notters old chap (long time no speak anyway! How is the mobile?) personally I was mightily pissed off after Tonys statement about A judge at end of transfer window or season or whatever it was and B a top six squad. PLUS we are no longer titting about at Withdean where 4th from bottom was open top bus stuff.

At least this season Barbs has done the right thing and said "competitive"

There's a reason why you're called "Sir Rants a lot" ;-)

Nah, I agree with you but what I'm saying is, however much it perhaps shouldn't happen, the club will always cock up at some point, or something will go wrong and we'll have a bad season!

It's been a while eh? I never see you boozing in the West Upper? Don't think I ever have!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Naïve. See declining attendances for proof.

Without wanting to get into a circular argument here, yes, (slight) drops in attendance are proof of naive supporters. And are observed at all clubs when they have a poor season (see increasing attendances for proof).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

- Best Fan Engagement
- Best Marketing
- Best Community Scheme.

I don't think anyone would argue with any of the above.

I do think that many would argue with the lack of focus of Getting-it-right-ON-the-pitch. Which after all is supposed to be the core business, or at least the one that us customers are most interested in.

Still, the flirt with relegation last season seems to have served as a serious wake-up call to the board, and we're seeing the benefits of the board re-focussing on the playing side of things already this season..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here