Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion expect home kick-off (Argus)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Friday night would be utter toilet, and if asked I really hope the club tell whichever tv company it is to do one. If it has to be on the tellybox then 5.30 Saturday would just about be okay, but I really hope it stays at 3pm. Sunday woudn't be much better either. We've waited too many years for this day to have it f***ed about with by tv companies.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Normally I think you're right and I concede it is difficult to completely ignore the blue and white haze through which we view the world, but I don't think we can so easily dismiss the attractiveness of being able to wrap the "Brighton's long 14 year journey to get this stadium" story around our first home game. This isn't just another new stadium. I think that will have pretty juicy appeal to the television folk.

I don't think the casual, TV-watching footballing audience cares too much, tbh.

If the schedule throws up something like West Ham v Nottingham Forest or Leeds v Birmingham, I don't see us getting a look in.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Friday is first single game kick off for the whole English league, would think will be West Ham vs a high profile team from play-offs last year, Leeds or Forest etc?

Saturday evening would likely get lowest figures as more fans travelling back from games? Isn't a Prem day where all the plastics watch 3 games in a row in the pubs. This is where I expect our 'story' game to be.

Sunday another 2 big teams or an Ipswich Norwich type rivalry clash. Maybe two London teams?

Last year on the Friday was Norwich 2 Watford 3.........not very high profile at all, so what you say dont stack up........could well be Brighton based upon that.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Last year on the Friday was Norwich 2 Watford 3.........not very high profile at all, so what you say dont stack up........could well be Brighton based upon that.

I was at that game, oddly enough. Only the second time I've ever been told off by a steward at a football match.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't think the casual, TV-watching footballing audience cares too much, tbh.

You might be right, but the TV company(ies) will be salivating at the whole montage-ness of featuring us at the Amex and the effect of that diminishes as the season goes on.

As such, I reckon our odds of being featured are above average. (Which isn't the same thing as saying "we will be on".)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Please be Sunday
Please be Sunday
Please be Sunday
Please be Sunday
Please be Sunday

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
They could put us on at 2am Tuesday morning. I don't BLOODY CARE.

It's our first game at our phenomenal new stadium. It will be fantastic WHENEVER it is.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Friday night would be utter toilet, and if asked I really hope the club tell whichever tv company it is to do one. If it has to be on the tellybox then 5.30 Saturday would just about be okay, but I really hope it stays at 3pm. Sunday woudn't be much better either. We've waited too many years for this day to have it f***ed about with by tv companies.

The club is in no position to tell TV companies to do one. We are taking their cash, therefore we dance to their tune. Its entirely the TV companies call.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The club is in no position to tell TV companies to do one. We are taking their cash, therefore we dance to their tune. Its entirely the TV companies call.

I really have no idea if that is the case. I don't doubt that TV dollar carries much weight but do clubs have no choice at all? As I say - I have no idea.

Regardless, I can't see the police wanting the first home game to be such that a full Amex's worth of 22,500 people have to try to get away from the stadium for the first time at c10pm.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
This Palace/Pompey avoidance thing - I hope that doesn't become a regular thing.

I don't understand why they'd want to do this anyway.

I'm glad tbh. Most of us are going to be HUNGOVER on boxing day, would much rather have Coventry at home so we don't have to sing.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Saturday at 5pm would be excellant. All dayer in town. Get the train at 3:45 and get to the Amex for soccer saturday 2nd half.

Brighton v Forest

That would be just marvelous

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Please be Sunday
Please be Sunday
Please be Sunday
Please be Sunday
Please be Sunday

Please listen to Mellotron