Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion expect home kick-off (Argus)

Its not even just the exiles. It's also the thousands of local Albion fans who are not able to get a ticket.

I agree with this 100%.

Even before i found out about daughters wedding on the 6th I was fully in the Put it on TV camp. there are thousands out there as deserving as alot who will be there and just will not get tickets.

I'm going to miss it whatever if it's on the Saturday at any point, including if its on TV, but i would like to think that many would be able to feel part of it.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Guys nothing will be decided this week anyway so we prob have another 3 to 4 weeks to wait, the fixtures will be announced this Friday and all show to kick off at 3pm Saturday, then the TV companies will get hold of it and decide the alternative Kick offs and I cant see that happening until early July.

Tony the Pony

Jul 7, 2003
Littlehampton
I was speaking to a club steward, apparently they have been told that the first match will not be at 3:00 on Saturday 6th, as they are in negotiations with Sky & BBC to show the game. At the moment it could be any time from Friday evening to Monday evening.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I was speaking to a club steward, apparently they have been told that the first match will not be at 3:00 on Saturday 6th, as they are in negotiations with Sky & BBC to show the game. At the moment it could be any time from Friday evening to Monday evening.

I find this depressingly believeable. If it has to be thus then 5.30 on the beeb with a bigger audience please.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

As was stated by others earlier in the thread - I cannot see how this game could possibly be on the Friday evening.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I find this depressingly believeable. If it has to be thus then 5.30 on the beeb with a bigger audience please.
Well I don't believe it at all. I really don't think they'll be interested in the match unless we're playing West Ham or Birmingham City.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Cab't believe a new stadium (alone) is deemed as attractive by TV companies. Makes zero difference to the viewer after KO.

I f I remember right, last years opening TV game was Norwich v Watford on a Friday night, hardly a cracking fixture for the TV audiance, I think based upon we are champs and new ground, means the TV campanies will be interested.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cab't believe a new stadium (alone) is deemed as attractive by TV companies. Makes zero difference to the viewer after KO.

Normally I think you're right and I concede it is difficult to completely ignore the blue and white haze through which we view the world, but I don't think we can so easily dismiss the attractiveness of being able to wrap the "Brighton's long 14 year journey to get this stadium" story around our first home game. This isn't just another new stadium. I think that will have pretty juicy appeal to the television folk.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Im happy with anytime Friday or Saturday as means we can all have a few beers and the rest of the weekend to enjoy. Sunday or Monday night would be RUBBISH.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Problem is, how long will it be after 9am on Friday will we have to wait to see if it will be on TV and the fixture moved.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Normally I think you're right and I concede it is difficult to completely ignore the blue and white haze through which we view the world, but I don't think we can so easily dismiss the attractiveness of being able to wrap the "Brighton's long 14 year journey to get this stadium" story around our first home game. This isn't just another new stadium. I think that will have pretty juicy appeal to the television folk.

All of this. If you lump in the odds of it being a team that the plastic fans have heard of (e.g Moddlesborough, Forest etc, rather than Doncaster), then I think it's a certainty to be on telly.

My money is on a late Saturday kick off or the Sunday. Really don't think the police or club would be happy with a Friday night kick off for all the reasons already stated. Wouldn't surprise me if the club edged the TV companies towards the Sunday to get a day with no rush hour to give the transport issues more chance of coping.

Only drawback of being on telly is they don't like delayed kick offs. All it needs is an accident on the A27 somewhere and the we're all screwed.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Friday is first single game kick off for the whole English league, would think will be West Ham vs a high profile team from play-offs last year, Leeds or Forest etc?

Saturday evening would likely get lowest figures as more fans travelling back from games? Isn't a Prem day where all the plastics watch 3 games in a row in the pubs. This is where I expect our 'story' game to be.

Sunday another 2 big teams or an Ipswich Norwich type rivalry clash. Maybe two London teams?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Wouldn't surprise me if the club edged the TV companies towards the Sunday to get a day with no rush hour to give the transport issues more chance of coping.

But public transport will be rubbish on a sunday, there will probaly be a bus service between Lewes and Brighton on the trains

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
But public transport will be rubbish on a sunday, there will probaly be a bus service between Lewes and Brighton on the trains

You may well be right, so Saturday at 5/5.30pm it is then. I hope the nation is ready.

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011

FFS get real

thedeadone

Jan 17, 2005
West Sussex
I cant see it being friday or monday im sure this wont happen,If i was a betting man i would put my money on a sunday lunchtime kick off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here