Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion expect home kick-off (Argus)

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Albion expect their first match in the Championship to be at The Amex.

But it will not necessarily be played on Saturday, August 6.

The fixtures are released on Friday for the Seagulls’ return to Championship football at their new stadium.

They have requested an away game on Saturday, August 13, to avoid a clash with the Pride festival.

That would mean Albion beginning the campaign at their new home, with the possibility of television coverage shifting the date or kick-off time.

The BBC and Sky share Football League TV rights until the end of next season.

Albion’s Amex debut, depending on the quality of the opposition, is sure to figure high on their target list, which could mean a switch to Friday night, Saturday tea-time or Sunday.

If the opening home game is not considered attractive enough by the TV companies then another of the Seagulls’ early season matches at The Amex will be selected.

Albion have also told the Football League they would prefer not to be staging a home derby against the likes of Crystal Palace or Portsmouth on Boxing Day.

They have flagged up November 5 for an away game, to avoid clashing with the bonfire celebrations at Lewes, and for their fixtures to dovetail with Crawley’s so they are not playing at home on the same dates as the League Two newcomers.

Albion expect home kick-off From The Argus)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I could cope with a Saturday tea time match but a friday night would be a nightmare as would a Sunday with very poor public transport available

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Seagulls give Football League a wish list

Argus:

Away game on Saturday August 13th to avoid clashing with Pride

Would prefer not to entertain the likes of Crystal Palace/Portsmouth on Boxing Day

Away game on November 5th to avoid clashing with Lewes bonfire celebrations

Fixtures to dovetail with Crawley so both clubs are not at home on the same date.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This Palace/Pompey avoidance thing - I hope that doesn't become a regular thing.

I don't understand why they'd want to do this anyway.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
A little disappointed with no derby day on Boxing Day, always was my favourite fixture at the Goldstone. I'm sure they won't expect a team and supporters to travel half the length of the country on Boxing Day so guess it will be Reading, Watford or similar.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Good news. Just hope it's not a night kickoff.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
This Palace/Pompey avoidance thing - I hope that doesn't become a regular thing.

I don't understand why they'd want to do this anyway.

Transport issues on boxing day will make security even harder to manage if nobody can get from Croydon/Portmouth to Brighton on the train!!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If it's friday I'll be furious! Friday is a ridiculous day to start the season on. If it has to be moved 5.30 on saturday is just about acceptable as is sunday afternoon. Hopefully it will be Barnsley at home and no-one other than us will give a rats behind about it.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Is there anything that we didn't already know in that argus story?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'd hate to have to sort the league fixture schedule. There are so many factors, requests and nuances to take into account it must be a nightmare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here