Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion database?

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick
Does anyone know if there is a website with past Albion results on it? It's a long time ago now but I think the first Albion games I saw were in the early 1970s against Chesterfield, Barnsley & Halifax though I can't remember the scores or who played apart from Brian Powney and the Napier brothers. Can anyone help?

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am assuming it is one of the two seasons - 70/71 & 71/72 as we played all three of those in both of those seasons.

Will produce results and team lineup for both seasons (all three teams in due course).

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
1970/71

vs Chesterfield - Att 8,023 - 1-2 (Own goal) - Powney, Henderson, Sheridan, Lawton, Napier J*, Gall, Spearritt, Goodwin, Napier K, Turner, O'Sullivan: Gilliver*

vs Barnsley - Att 7,685 - 1-2 (Flood) - Powney, Henderson, Templeman, Goodwin, Napier J, Gall, Flood*, Dawson, Napier K, Smith, O'Sullivan: Spearritt*

vs Halifax - Att 10,671 - 0-2 - Powney, Henderson, Spearritt, Templeman, Napier J, Gall, Murray, Napier K, Irvine, Turner*, O'Sullivan: Duffy*

Does that ring any bells or shall I do the following season?

Ps Please stay away from all future games!

Last edited:

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick
1970/71

vs Chesterfield - Att 8,023 - 1-2 (Own goal) - Powney, Henderson, Sheridan, Lawton, Napier J*, Gall, Spearritt, Goodwin, Napier K, Turner, O'Sullivan: Gilliver*

vs Barnsley - Att 7,685 - 1-2 (Flood) - Powney, Henderson, Templeman, Goodwin, Napier J, Gall, Flood*, Dawson, Napier K, Smith, O'Sullivan: Spearritt*

vs Halifax - Att 10,671 - 0-2 - Powney, Henderson, Spearritt, Templeman, Napier J, Gall, Murray, Napier K, Irvine, Turner*, O'Sullivan: Duffy*

Does that ring any bells or shall I do the following season?

Ps Please stay away from all future games!

Thanks very much for such a detailed reply. The Chesterfield game was indeed my very first Albion game followed by Barnsley the same season. The Halifax game I went to was the following season when we won 2/1 I think.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
No problem!

71/72

vs Halifax Town - Att 9,896 - 2-1 (O'Sullivan, Irvine) - Powney, Henderson, Spearritt, Templeman, Napier J, Gall, Murray, Napier K, Irvine, Turner, O'Sullivan: Duffy (unused)

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
No problem!

71/72

vs Halifax Town - Att 9,896 - 2-1 (O'Sullivan, Irvine) - Powney, Henderson, Spearritt, Templeman, Napier J, Gall, Murray, Napier K, Irvine, Turner, O'Sullivan: Duffy (unused)

BOF - whilst you have the book out can you give me details of the following game:

14.01.1989 Plymouth Argyle home D2-2

Does it have the minutes the goals were scored - im sure Gary Nelson got two in the dying minutes?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BOF - whilst you have the book out can you give me details of the following game:

14.01.1989 Plymouth Argyle home D2-2

Does it have the minutes the goals were scored - im sure Gary Nelson got two in the dying minutes?

Your memory fails you!

vs Plymouth - Att 8,504 - 2-2 (1-1 ht) (Bremner, May) - Keeley, Chivers, Dublin, Wilkins, May, Gatting, Nelson, Curbishley, Bremner, Owers*, Wood** Subs: Cooper*, Crumplin**

Garry Nelson did score a brace against Blackburn in a 3-0 victory 6 weeks later (and another one at St Andrews).

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Bof can you tell me about a game vs York in the 90's at the goldstone. my old man seems to think we scored in the last minute but i cant seem to find it. Cheers x

Unfortunately my book only goes up to the 92/93 season.

However, presumably one of these from Soccerbase (the link above didn't have scorers)

1995/1996 Football League Div 2 Th 09May 1996 Brighton 1 - 3 York (Maskell)
1994/1995 Football League Div 2 We 31Aug 1994 Brighton 1 - 0 York (Nogan pen)
1993/1994 Football League Div 2 Sa 05Mar 1994 Brighton 2 - 0 York (Codner, Nogan)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Thanks for looking. The one in 96 was behind closed doors because of the pitch invasion during the abandoned game?

Ah yes. Went to the first one, but not the second (obviously). Great day that. Definitely put our name in the national papers even if NOTW were not so complimentary about us. Would love to read their article about it. Has anyone got a press cutting of that?

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Oh wow. I didn't realise they did them. Seeing as the first book covers 90 odd years, I was waiting to add it to my Christmas list in 2070.

They're compiled by the same author (historyman on here?) - I used to buy mine in 2 or 3 season batches, the last being a couple of years ago. It'd be criminal if they weren't still selling them.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Does anyone know if there is a website with past Albion results on it? It's a long time ago now but I think the first Albion games I saw were in the early 1970s against Chesterfield, Barnsley & Halifax though I can't remember the scores or who played apart from Brian Powney and the Napier brothers. Can anyone help?
If you are referring to John and Kit Napier I'm afraid they were not brothers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here