Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion (Championes 2001) v Chesterfield - Your Verdict on the Game

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Oatway, what a complete and utter waster of space

Yes, he gets stuck in, yes he always give 100% but he is crap, never to the pace of the game and if SC thinks he is a better player than Carpenter then he needs his head examined

Thought Hinshelwood had a good game btw

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
no mention of Hinshelwood yet - gave the ball away much too often - similar to last year, a few good matches then loses confidence. Butters did his job, Jonesey looked lively/creative but Henderson, well.......

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thought Hinshelwood had a good game btw [/B]

Agreed, I think he has come on well

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I thought Hinshelwood did well tonight too, especially in the second half. And made a couple of important tackles especially on their no. 16.

I'd choose Hinshelwood over Watson any day.

A reliable stopper of the ball - not always a reliable distributor, but basically strong and effective.

The disappointment is Cullip's hoofing - usually there are better options open to him but for some reason he's not taking them.

The jury is returning with its verdict on Henderson. And the expression on the foreman's face looks like it'll be bad news for Darius.

OGH had a poor game.

Butters' head is his strength - and that's an asset in a second division defender.

As for the Carpenter or Oatway debate - they are both about equal for this style of play. I'd rather change the style than worry too much about which of them to pick.

Mayo coming forward usually looked threatening. Maybe he needs to be nurtured into the creative midfield role that we are looking for someone to play?

If Flitney had been injured (and I thought he might have been in the first half), I think I would have enjoyed the return of John Keeley. Is it really fourteen years since he last played a league game for the Albion?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
A much better performance from the Albion, having Jones back has improved the balance of the side, and given us more width. Thought Henderson was outstanding again, and Oatway and Knight had their best games for a few weeks. Jolly was more comfortable in the middle. Far more solid defensively. Some lovely play at times, but not sustained. A step in the right direction.

Sam

Formerly "Sambo"
Jul 22, 2003
Oxfordshire
things are looking up, overall a solid (ish) performance, but we are still hooooofing it an awful lot. things are looking up though:)

D

Drips

Best I’ve seen of Butters so far.
Flitney looked capable bar the spill; fortunately we had a couple of defenders on the line.
Jones added width on the left.
Henderson is a waste of wages.
Knight is da man.
Why didn’t the team celebrate with him?
Cullip was (again) my MothM.
Hinsh wasnt far behind.
Harty, Jolly & Charlie did the job without many frills.

I don’t think we're on the same wavelength this season.
At times we resembled a bunch of strangers.
Last season we played better stuff & got beaten,
This year we're pants & picking up points.
Funny old game eh?

Don’t like the hoofing.
Chesterfield were pants, bar their No14.
They're for the drop.
:wave:

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
I thought that Butters played his best game for us last night. Funny moment was when the Chesterfield forward ran into Butters. Forward went down like a sack of shit.Butters did not move an inch !!!
Hinshlewood's defending was very good at times.He does however need to go back to the training ground and work on his distribution of the ball.
Henderson had a poor game and It was good to see the mighty Chris Mcphee get the last quater of an hour.
Hart and Mayo looked knackered in the second half.
The Chesterfield defender slipped and it was Leon against the keeper. At the time I thought that Leon was taking too long to shoot, but when it came,What a goal.Curled It round the keeper into the far corner. Quality finish Leon.
From what I have seen this season,a playoff place is the best we can hope for. That said, we are only 2 points off the top and haven't really played well yet (except against QPR).

Bring on Wednesday !!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The first half was really crap, as poor as I've seen for years. Leon took his goal really well, but was aided by the slip from the centre back. But both teams played like park sides - just hoofing it anywhere.

The second half was much better and Jones (my choice for MOTM) in particular was a huge threat. Desperately need more spark in the middle: Rodger and Oatway worked hard but didn't really set the game alight.

It's good to have three points in the bag but we'll haev to play better than this.

No-one mentioned the ref but I thought he was excellent. Let the game flow by playing advantage several times, didn't seem to miss too much (there was a push on Knight but I think the ref ignored it because of Leon's theatrical dive) and I liked the way that he booked their player for a foul after he'd let play carry on. His performance deserved a better game.

Gary Nelson

Jul 25, 2003
Hove
Theres nothing better for a supported than to see your striker 'love' scroing goals. You can see with LK his emotion and I much prefer that to the Linekers.Shearers. Thats partly why Ian Wright was so loved at Arsenal (and hid 178 goals). Will even forgive his arse of tit routine on the sand pit:lolol: :lolol:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It's interesting reading everybody's summation of last night's game and how some people think so-and-so had a good game then the next person says almost the exact opposite.

Personally, I thought Henderson was crap-didn't look interested, slow with little or no vision. OGH had one of his poorer games and looked totally knackered during the warm-up. Probably not a popular player at the moment but Charlie was half decent in midfield (at least he wanted to win unlike some). Cullip was a solid stopper but has virtually no distribution skills other than hoof. Ditto Butters who always wanted to pass responsibility on to somebody else to take us forward which quite often was Mayo.

Great goal by Leon who with the right strike partner could match BZ's season total-he's a hell of a lot quicker than BZ too (at least appears to be). McPhee didn't look inspiring when he came on so we need to go out and find somebody who's looking for regular first team football-and the quicker that that happens the sooner we can ship Henderson out 'cos he is not what we're looking for.

Still, we got three points without playing well and kept a clean sheet thanks to a loan goalie.

Must do better on Saturday lads or we're going to get tonked big-time.

Last edited:

It was a case of job done last night, nothing more exciting than that. It would have been bloody typical if we were to become Chesterfield's first victims this season.

What I found curious was how were able to play not very well, yet clearly be the better side. Chesterfield,whilst lively on the break, never really threatened and we dominated the second half. It was a poor quality game and a reminder of what it means to be a div 2 club.

For me the plus points other than the win, were Leon Knight. His finish was absolute class, the only decent chance he had and he buried it. He also looked to put in some pretty good crosses. Butters was solid, quite literally when the number 16 fouled him in the second half and came off worse. I also thought Hinshelwood had a good game. His distribution was poor (he was not alone there), but his defending was excellent, one chase back and tackle in the second half was particularly good.

Minus points the same old complaint of too much hoofing, and a lack of imagination in midfield.

Still three points in the bag, and we are still in the mix at the top so I'm not complaining. I'm sure we'll raise our game on saturday against wednesday.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Flitney - Did okay, that spill wasn't terrible, slippery ball, people in front of him, shot hit hard etc, he was trying to get the team building from the back and passing it about a bit.
Hinsh - A couple of important challenges, Hart let him down a bit by taking too long to track back.
Mayo - Not a bad game just not one of his best.
Cullip - What the f*** has happened to him.
Butters - MoM by a long way, very good in the air again and looked comfortable at all times. Maybe that sponsorship has given him a little extra?
Jones - Not too bad, i'd like to see him given the ball earlier and told to put his head down and run.
Hart - Poor, didn't support Hinsh and didn't look dangerous going forward.
Rodger - Poor first half but picked up in the second, apart from the odd moment his looked pretty average.
Oatway - Well, Oatway's Oatway isn't he?
Knight - Well taken goal and looked up for it but denied servive.
Henderson - Couple of good moments in the second half, touch of a f***ing donkey and doesn't win enough in the air.

Mom - Butters.

ps Why do we play the long high balls to Knight and the balls along the ground to Henderson, shouldn't this be the other way around?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I though Hinshelwood was excellent, and Butters had his best game yet, winning pretty much everything in the air. His distribution is comprised of "hoof the ball as far forward as you can", but apart from that he did well. Though to be fair, Chesterfield were a virtually non-existent threat apart from their number 14.

Best moment was definitely when their player almost knocked himself out after running into Butters. And we got the free kick as well.

First half was dire, in the second we played some football and looked a lot better until the nervousness crept in from not scoring a second. At least we created some chances this time. NOt quite so much hit and hope. Knight looked more interested than in recent games.

MY ONLY POINTER ON THIS, IS THAT THE LAST TIME IN DIV 2 WE WERE NOT PLAYING GREAT AT FIRST UNDER M ADAMS, I THINK WYCOMBE WAS OUR FIRST GAME WHEN WE REALLY TOOK A SIDE TO PIECES AND THAT WAS AROUND 0CTOBER.....THE REST IS HISTORY.

LC1:wave:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Exactly, we're just saving ourselves for the later part of the season when everyone else will be burnt out!

Never peak too early I say....

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If Coppell honestly thinks that Oatway is better than even a 75% Chippie then we are in for a very long and dull season.

Henderson must go back and give one of our boys a chance, they can hardly be any less effective.

Plus points were Butters (Lets hear all the wankers who were slagging off the decision to sponsor his kit now!!!!), Jones, Knight and Hinshelwood.

Lets face it Cheaterfield were absolutely appaling and will do very well to stay up. If we play like that against better opposition well lose as we have seen, I just hope better is to come.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here