Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion cancel Dubai warm weather trip

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Genuine question: has anybody, holistically or otherwise, ever questioned exactly WHY a jolly in the sun helps prepare any group of already-pampered players for a long hard slog in the cold, wind and rain of a UK second half of season? Seems to me the best you can hope for is that none of them gets sent home earlydoors in disgrace

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Genuine question: has anybody, holistically or otherwise, ever questioned exactly WHY a jolly in the sun helps prepare any group of already-pampered players for a long hard slog in the cold, wind and rain of a UK second half of season? Seems to me the best you can hope for is that none of them gets sent home earlydoors in disgrace

Change of environment, gets the players / staff around each other for a few days rather than a bit of breakfast, 2 hours training, a bit of lunch and they all go home to play Playstation I guess.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
While the temperature’s ok here at the moment, it’s actually been chucking it down a lot recently. Wettest January I can recall for years and years, with regular flooding bringing the city to a standstill. Not such a bad reason to look elsewhere.

The idea that ISIS would see ‘BHAFC in Dubai’ as a major opportunity, however, is laughable.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Even without the security implications, Dubai is a soulless place that makes Vegas look cultural. Dubai also has a reputation for not treating its workers in the hotel industry very well. I know human rights is not something really valued in that part of the world. They pay lip service to it because they want tourism.

There are much nicer and much more interesting places to go for winter sun.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
That's a shame. Plenty of top European sides including some from the Premier League regularly come out here and hold open training sessions, so it would've been good for a few of the unofficial Seagulls over Dubai expats to get along to one of them and hopefully meet a few of the players.

As #bhafc99 said above, we've had some rain recently, but it's picked up now and is comfortably in the high 60s/low 70s. Perfect weather for training.

Let's hope the Albion can find some sun elsewhere in Europe then.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Not sure it's the sunshine, but I imagine a change of environment, a break from routine, a getting away from the stresses and anxieties of everyday life, and a bit of doing things together from breakfast till dusk all perhaps contribute to a marginal gain somewhere. How you measure that I don't know. If you have a bump in form, that might have happened anyway.

As we know from Saturday, or at home to Burnley for that matter, games are decided often on tiny margins. Perhaps a break helps with a tiny margin somewhere.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008

More light - increases awareness and stimulates mental activity
More heat - kills off latent viruses and bugs and soothes aches and pains
More rays - generates vitamin D - which is just the business for everything

Less dark - it makes you slow down and feel miserable
More cold - more chance of viruses taking hold , infections etc
Less sun - less vit D etc

Hope that's clear --

What's wrong with Dubai anyway ? It's not exactly going to kick off there - paranoia of the highest order .

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Cancel it and attempt to put things right on the training pitch. Maybe coach Webster to be a defender and get the strikers hitting balls into an empty net to give them some confidence

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
**** a holiday get a manager

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As much as I'd love them to come here, after tonight's spineless debacle the Albion need all the practice they can get in any weather condition.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As Dubai is full of Russian hookers
I think the problem was how knackered Shane Duffy came home!

He was in a friends bar at the weekend and was good company apparently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here