Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion call for EPL match time keepers

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I've been advocating this for years - it will eradicate time wasting immediately.

35 or possibly 40 minutes each half, with the clock automatically stopping every time the ball goes out of play/free-kick/goal kick/corner/booking/sub/goal/injury etc. etc.

Clock counts down, it's really not hard to implement.

Getting rid of the idea that a football match is 90 minutes would be a huge call.

That's not a reason in itself of course.

Let's trial it trial it in u23 leagues.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Once upon a time there was a great thing called football. Everyone loved it and agreed it was great.

Then it died.

The end.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Seems a no brainer to me. It all seemed to kick off that time Man U beat City in Fergie time, and a big thing was made about 30 seconds for a sub, 30 seconds for a goal etc.

Which is ridiculous, how many games actually just restart 30 seconds after the ball is in the net.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
a penalty being awarded and a game being won by someone 100 miles away watching TV after the ref has blown, for full time and the match has ended after 1200 minutes tells you all you need to know about how far down the swannie PL football has gone.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I'm 100% in favour of this.

Goal line tech works well enough, surely a further use of this technology could be adapted?

Killing 2 birds with one stone.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I once naively thought it was the fourth official’s job to be the time keeper. Why isn’t it?

Was watching a game the other week and behind the 4th official was a lady in a premier league coat with an iPad type tablet.
The camera was on her ( in the background) and she held up 4 fingers.. within seconds the commentary team said 4 mins extra time which was confirmed by the 4th official.
What is this lady’s job? Is she some kind of time keeper or just a go between?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Was watching a game the other week and behind the 4th official was a lady in a premier league coat with an iPad type tablet.
The camera was on her ( in the background) and she held up 4 fingers.. within seconds the commentary team said 4 mins extra time which was confirmed by the 4th official.
What is this lady’s job? Is she some kind of time keeper or just a go between?

Female? working for the EPL/FA?

Scapegoat?

Sceptical moi?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I've been advocating this for years - it will eradicate time wasting immediately.

35 or possibly 40 minutes each half, with the clock automatically stopping every time the ball goes out of play/free-kick/goal kick/corner/booking/sub/goal/injury etc. etc.

Clock counts down, it's really not hard to implement.

It will be difficult to eradicate time wasting by goalkeepers. This is often subjective, particularly knowing when to stop the clock as it becomes clear what is going on.
Not a reason to oppose this initiative though as just getting rid of some time wasting would be a good thing. Why 35 or 40 minutes though ? Just because players have been stealing time from fans for years doesn’t mean they are not supposed to be playing for 45.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It will be difficult to eradicate time wasting by goalkeepers. This is often subjective, particularly knowing when to stop the clock as it becomes clear what is going on.
Not a reason to oppose this initiative though as just getting rid of some time wasting would be a good thing. Why 35 or 40 minutes though ? Just because players have been stealing time from fans for years doesn’t mean they are not supposed to be playing for 45.

The clock won't be stopped when the ball is in play; if the goalkeeper is dribbling to and fro in his penalty area, it's up to the other team to come and take it off him. If it's a goal kick, of course, the clock would be stopped right up until he finally takes it.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
On the subject of goalkeepers wasting time – and they all do it at some point: what's the point of the yellow card when it goes too far?

To my knowledge, no referee in a major game has sent off a goalie for time wasting twice. So if I was a goalie and got a yellow, I'd feel pretty confident that no further timewasting on my part would be punished, as long as I kept it pretty subtle. In other words, it's a licence to waste more time, surely?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Time wasting is a big problem so I’d be for this, feigning injury is becoming at least as bad now too IMO.
Stopping the clock is useful to add the time back on but that’s not the only reason a team time wastes, it is also to break the other teams rhythm and clock stopping won’t cut that out sadly, indeed it could make it worse as the team is no longer time wasting and the ref now won’t book Pope for taking 3 minutes over a goal kick because the clock was stopped. A 7.45pm KO will go on until midnight!!!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Time wasting is a big problem so I’d be for this, feigning injury is becoming at least as bad now too IMO.
Stopping the clock is useful to add the time back on but that’s not the only reason a team time wastes, it is also to break the other teams rhythm and clock stopping won’t cut that out sadly, indeed it could make it worse as the team is no longer time wasting and the ref now won’t book Pope for taking 3 minutes over a goal kick because the clock was stopped. A 7.45pm KO will go on until midnight!!!

Simple solution to clampdown on Goalkeepers wasting time, when using a stopping clock. If the ball goes out for a goal kick and they are in no hurry to take the goal kick, as they want to slow the game down and give their defence a breather, awar a corner when the ball is not back in play within 15 or 20 seconds. Same with a throw in, awar the throw to the other team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here