Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion accounts 2014-15

rool

Jul 10, 2003
2: I suspect (but don't know) that the increase in stock is due to the Errea contract ceasing in 2014, so the club ran down levels of replica kit, and being replaced by the Nike contract which would have been half way through the home kit cycle at the end of May 2015.

Yeah, yeah, Bozza already said that BUT what about the 'Women and Girls'?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I've read that bold bit three times now, and it still doesn't make sense to me. Can you rephrase it?

there's a narrative that goes something like this which i've read on here even this afternoon...

Gus had a vastly bigger budget than Hyppia and Garcia which partly explains why we finished 4th and should have been promoted in 2012/13..
Bloom, for some reason, tightened the "purse strings" after the summer of 2013. Oscar therefore couldn't compete even though the club made it into the play-offs again and Sami of course blew it, partly cos he was crap but mostly because he too was denied the free spending, big budgets of Gus in his pomp.

All nonsense as the budget proves. Bloom kept spending on players wages throughout. Millions. And the budget kept going up. And its still going up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
there's a narrative that goes something like this which i've read on here even this afternoon...

Gus had a vastly bigger budget than Hyppia and Garcia which partly explains why we finished 4th and should have been promoted in 2012/13..
Bloom, for some reason, tightened the "purse strings" after the summer of 2013. Oscar therefore couldn't compete even though the club made it into the play-offs again and Sami of course blew it, partly cos he was crap but mostly because he too was denied the free spending, big budgets of Gus in his pomp.

All nonsense as the budget proves. Bloom kept spending on players wages throughout. Millions. And the budget kept going up. And its still going up.

Thank you. I thought that's what it was saying, but it didn't appear to, imo. Fwiw, I agree.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Interesting statement from TB, especially the part when he said they "reluctantly" agreed to vote to raise the permitted losses from £5 mill to £13 mill. Would it be fair to say that he voted in favour of the increase because he couldn't meet the lower criteria, and didn't want to tarnish his image ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interesting statement from TB, especially the part when he said they "reluctantly" agreed to vote to raise the permitted losses from £5 mill to £13 mill. Would it be fair to say that he voted in favour of the increase because he couldn't meet the lower criteria, and didn't want to tarnish his image ?

That would be the Palace view of it yes.

Others might say he is trying to do good for football and leave FFP as it was intended. That is not letting clubs run up massive debt that they then ultimately cannot keep up with, go bust and leave a load of local businesses as creditors getting back very little of what they are owed.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Alternatively I suspect that Tony just has a very realistic appreciation that you cannot become serious promotion contenders in the Championship without incurring a significant loss. Although £5m to £10m loss is scary to us mere mortals I suspect Tony is looking at the bigger picture. We don't enjoy parachute monies or other major income streams - so his statement reflects a pragmatic viewpoint that it would be difficult to significantly rein in losses in the short term without depleting the playing squad and harming our prospects for promotion. This would undermine his stated objectives for promotion and condemn us to a longer term and less sustainable existence in the Championship.

The best way to offset these losses is to gain promotion to the PL and benefit from the overnight financial windfall. Yes we lost our way on and off the pitch last year but it seems that TB is still able to sustain reasonable losses in the short term, if this results in PL money. However unlike some other Championship Clubs he isn't prepared to spend at all costs.

I seem to recall Tony Bloom also explaining at the time that although he reluctantly agreed to the new FFP thresholds it did not mean that all clubs (especially the Albion) would necessarily take full 'advantage' of recklessly max-ing out their permitted losses. In the meantime by agreeing to the the new FFP rules Championship clubs would also benefit by receiving increased grants from the PL, an income stream they cannot afford to ignore.

At the moment it seems TB is getting the balance about right by reining in operating costs, not allowing losses to spiral, some shrewd transfer deals (Ulloa and Buckley) while permitting positive investment in the playing squad, sufficient to make us serious contenders. Above all it seems he appointed the right manager. We are all hoping that TB will be rewarded next May - but looking at some of our rivals it will be a tall ask, a heck of an achievement - and no guarantees with more than half a season to go.

Finally it is worth bearing in mind that rather than blow the FFP limits Tony has also created an infrastructure for the long term benefit of the club ie a stadium and elite performance centre. We are fortunate that Tony is able to take a longer term view of his financial investments. I feel more comfortable with a third generation fan at the helm rather than some of the other so called benefactors or a faceless foreign oligarch whose real motives are unclear.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
The other key difference being that most of our debt was for building a fantastic stadium and training facility (assets) whereas most of Bolton's debt has been pissed up the wall on ridiculous transfer fees, wages and payments to agents (£15m on Elmander anyone?).

So are you suggesting the Reebok/Macron Stadium, Euxton Training Ground and the Bolton Whites Hotel didn't have to be paid for?

New stadium, training facilities and a hotel all paid for by one rich benefactor who is personally owed in excess of £150m by the club.

Remind me, what was that "key difference" you were talking about?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So are you suggesting the Reebok/Macron Stadium, Euxton Training Ground and the Bolton Whites Hotel didn't have to be paid for?

New stadium, training facilities and a hotel all paid for by one rich benefactor who is personally owed in excess of £150m by the club.

Remind me, what was that "key difference" you were talking about?

Stadium and hotel £35m. Training complex £3m. So yes, I'm sorry, just the other £140m or so pissed up the wall by Gartside & co then.

Completely amazed that you're trying to defend him.

The value of our fixed assets alone (probably undervalued due to property market increases since the last accounts) cover about three quarters of the cash Bloom has put in whereas Davies......

Try again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Head of Commercial development apparently shown the door this week - any coincidence when the figures are announced ?

I may be talking out of turn here, - I had heard a little while back he was leaving, but I think that 'shown the door' is misleading.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
U
Stadium and hotel £35m. Training complex £3m. So yes, I'm sorry, just the other £140m or so pissed up the wall by Gartside & co then.

Completely amazed that you're trying to defend him.

The value of our fixed assets alone (probably undervalued due to property market increases since the last accounts) cover about three quarters of the cash Bloom has put in whereas Davies......

Try again.

I really wasn't trying to defend anyone and, whilst I don't think you understood my point, I've no desire to try again.

Have a great day. :)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
U

I really wasn't trying to defend anyone and, whilst I don't think you understood my point, I've no desire to try again.

Have a great day. :)
I completely understood your point.

You were making an ill informed comparison in an attempt to undermine my point, that the finances of Brighton and Bolton are in no way similar.

But you were wrong.

You have a great day too though. [emoji1]

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
"In no way similar"? OK.

You've massively missed my point.

I massively haven't. I see your simplistic comparison, I get it. I've pointed out why I disagree by posting some facts which you haven't tried to refute. Patronising "you don't get it" posts don't really add anything. So I give up.

:wrong:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
What would be the point? At the end of the day, all the points I made were facts too.

Indeed I was waiting for you to explain what the "key difference" was that you referred to but it seems to have got lost in you thinking you've been clever little sausage by coming up with the point that Bolton's ground and training facilities cost less than the Amex which I totally agree with you, as it's true.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here