Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion 1st-year scholars for 2019-20

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Another of our seemingly endless stream of classy central defenders.

Tsoungui is a versatile ball-playing centre-back

The club has 'issues'. :lolol:

I might apply for a job in the mail room at Lancing.

Under qualifications I'm going to put:-

I'm a versatile ball-playing centre-back.

I doubt they'll interview anyone else.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Another draw and a win for the U18s since the last time this thread was updated, leaving Albion on 20 points out of 24.

West Ham 1-1 Brighton (Vukoje)
Brighton 3-2 Swansea (Turns, Furlong, Wilson)

Brighton are now unbeaten in 14 competitive matches at U18 level.

However, they sit third in the table with both Chelsea and Fulham accumulating a remarkable 22 points from 24. Fulham in particular look like they are quite something, hammering teams every week.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Fair to say we have one of the outstanding youth systems in football now.

Saints were always supposed to be great at this, have they fallen backwards?

Vukoje is Serbian by birth but he's been here since he was a kid, does he have a British passport?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Vukoje is Serbian by birth but he's been here since he was a kid, does he have a British passport?

As a 'home grown' player via our youth system he won't need one.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Two more wins since the last update.

Brighton 4-0 WBA (Spong 3, Vukoje)
Brighton 2-1 Villa (Leonard, Vukoje)

Where are we in the table? Still 3rd?

Edit: Don't worry - just looked at the Official Web Site - yep, we're 3rd.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

It would not be a bad thing.

Qualifying as a HGP (for PL purposes) and qualifying to work (play) in the UK are not the same thing!

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Yet another win for the U-18s today, 3-2 at home to Swansea City. Two goals from Stefan Vukoje (giving him 6 on the season) and Jack Spong with his 3rd of the season. That's six wins and a draw from their first seven matches of the season.

Even more remarkably, if you include last season, the side's current run of form reads:

P:16 W:14 D:1 L:1 GF:43 GA:21

Presumably this can be updated to:

P:20 W:17 D:2 L:1 GF:53 GA:25

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

It would not be a bad thing.

Qualifying as a HGP (for PL purposes) and qualifying to work (play) in the UK are not the same thing!

Stefan Vukoje DOES have a British passport. How do I know? Because he was born in ........ Bedford.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Stefan Vukoje DOES have a British passport. How do I know? Because he was born in ........ Bedford.

Just a point, being born in the UK does not entitle you to a UK passport. Depends on parents nationality as well.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Two Albion scholars faced off in international competition today: 2nd-year Lorent Tolaj was on the bench for the Switzerland U-19s as 1st-year Matt Everitt started for the Irish in their first 2020 UEFA European U-19 Championship Qualifying Group 10 fixture (the group is hosted in Austria and the fourth team is Gibraltar).

The Irish had a great start and were ahead after only two minutes. Everitt was substituted at half-time. The Swiss equalised in the second half and on 74 minutes Tolaj came on - he then proceeded to score the winning goal five minutes later. In the other match, Austria beat Gibraltar 14-0 :ohmy:

Ireland face the whipping boys on Saturday, when the Swiss take on the hosts. The final matches take place next Tuesday (two teams advance to the second stage of qualifying, along with the best 3rd-placed team from the 13 groups).

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Some more news of scholars who have been on international duty in the last few days (disappointingly, the Albion didn't do their pre-match international round-up this time):-

Antef Tsoungui was called up to the Belgian U-18 squad for two matches at the Pinatar Arena in Spain. Today (Friday) they faced the Czech Republic in a match that finished 3-3. Tomorrow (Saturday) they face Russia.

A reminder that Matt Everitt should be in action as well on Saturday for the ROI U-19s against Gibraltar.

Of the second year scholars, Ben Wilson was a sub for the Northern Ireland U-19s as they lost 3-0 to Norway on Tuesday. On Friday he started in a 3-1 defeat to Portugal. These matches are part of a Preparation Tournament for the UEFA 2020 U-19 European Championships that Northern Ireland will host in July (as hosts they are already Finals participants and have no qualifying matches). Their third and final match will be against Germany on Monday.

Lorent Tolaj, having scored the winner against Matt Everitt's Ireland on Thursday, will face hosts Austria with his Swiss colleagues on Saturday.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Tolaj finishes with just the 7 goals in a 16-1 win.

Population of Gibraltar is approx 32000. I wonder how big the pool of players available for each age group is? I'd guess around 200? Any male Gibraltarian child could have around a one in ten chance of representing their country at youth level at some point in their life.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Population of Gibraltar is approx 32000. I wonder how big the pool of players available for each age group is? I'd guess around 200? Any male Gibraltarian child could have around a one in ten chance of representing their country at youth level at some point in their life.

8 goals!

This is despite Switzerland having a man sent off at 35 minutes - Gibraltar's goal was from the resulting penalty...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I make your sums broadly correct*, meaning that yes - your chances of being called up at some point would be equivalent to being selected for your school team. (If you went to a small school!)

*where the odds actually change is that the Gibraltar players are NOT drawn exclusively from the domestic population...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here